StarCraft® II

How do you tip your server?

I used to always tip roughly 20% but then I figured that defeats the purpose of providing incentive to the waiter to perform good service. Now I tip anywhere from nothing (if it's absolutely horrible service, which is very rare) to 30%.
Reply Quote
My tips are purely influenced on how often I have to go out of my way to get the waiter to refill my water.
Edited by AuntJemima on 7/28/2011 2:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 02:17 PMPosted by BlueMeanie
Rofl, I completely agree. I have seen it all. Years ago I worked with a guy that would rub his hand all over his balls and then dip his fingers in the jerk customers iced tea. And servers typically have sweaty balls since they run around all day non-stop. Personally, I haven't done anything that extreme but, I have gone out of my way to embarrass plenty of people.

Owned, I would do that.... but im up front and they could see me <<
Reply Quote
I really hope your

This is going to be honest and I'm not trying to be rude:

Male server: 0%
Female server: 0-20% depending on her attitude, # of mistakes, timeliness, etc.

EDIT: My rationale is that I'm old fashioned and males should be seeking manly jobs and such.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you're a !@#$ing %^-*!@#.
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 02:17 PMPosted by Secticidal
Say what you think on that - it's fact. Pizza guys often get fake calls, where they are then robbed or even kidnapped at gunpoint, sometimes shot. There have been holdouts from where they wanted the right to bring weapons on deliveries. A guy somewhat recently was fired for shooting and killing a guy that attempted to rob him.

I have never heard of a pizza guy being robbed or held hostege... like i said they barely carry $20 with them...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZSuJiQ9ztA8/SdFlFHIm7vI/AAAAAAAABaQ/xfaOhWJ-_C8/s1600-h/Pizza+delivery+crimes+2.jpg

This is a map of crimes involving pizza delivery guys. This is from jan to march. That's close to 100 instances. Map is from spotcrimes.
Reply Quote
This is going to be honest and I'm not trying to be rude:

Male server: 0%
Female server: 0-20% depending on her attitude, # of mistakes, timeliness, etc.

EDIT: My rationale is that I'm old fashioned and males should be seeking manly jobs and such.

Yea, I would definitely ask your woman for her phone number right in front of you. And if you ever came in twice, well.....I'd just call you plain dumb. (wink)
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZZWhSvOMI

relevant

But its always based on service, it can be anywhere from 5-30%. Now the little mom and pop Turkish place down the road from me, they get the 30%. Drinks always filled and usually a free appetizer since they know me.

On a side note, damn there are some cheap people in this thread.
Edited by Warruz on 7/28/2011 2:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I tip 5 bucks regardless of how much my meal was, excluding fancy places, or how the server performed. If I feel like it was a horrible experience I still tip but will never return.
Reply Quote
Response to everyone who commented on my view point: fair enough, but to each their own :D
Reply Quote

relevant

Good one!!!!
Check out this series! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IV651z1wk
I like number 6 =-D
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 02:10 PMPosted by syzygy
Say what you think on that - it's fact. Pizza guys often get fake calls, where they are then robbed or even kidnapped at gunpoint, sometimes shot. There have been holdouts from where they wanted the right to bring weapons on deliveries. A guy somewhat recently was fired for shooting and killing a guy that attempted to rob him.

If I were a pizza guy I'd carry a gun around. I wouldn't care if I'm not supposed to.

relevant

Haha. I'll have to try that someday.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZSuJiQ9ztA8/SdFlFHIm7vI/AAAAAAAABaQ/xfaOhWJ-_C8/s1600-h/Pizza+delivery+crimes+2.jpg

This is a map of crimes involving pizza delivery guys. This is from jan to march. That's close to 100 instances. Map is from spotcrimes.

Salt Lake City looks like a good place to deliver pizzas. :P
Edited by Fors on 7/28/2011 2:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I get paid <$1000K and they don't give me a full meal

Poor thing, you're paid less than a million bucks? (i know its a typo, just teasing)
Reply Quote
I go in planning on tiping 15%. It varies though if its really good service I tip about 25%. If the service is mediocre I tip about 7%. If the service is down right bad i have absolutely no qualms about leaving Zero.
Reply Quote
This question is posed to all of the people who go out to eat. I am a part time server at a resturaunt and we get a lot of a specific demographic that dosn't tip very well.

I was curious on how much you belive is a good tip. Is it based on a percentage of the bill? if so what do you tip for bad/okay/good service. Or do you just tip based on how well they did ignoring the bill.

Please indulge me in your choices.

resturaunt belive.

For you not much, you can't even spell the institution in which you are employed. But seriously, I don't think I've ever tipped below 10%, and to get 10% from me you have to have the !@#$tiest service ever. Probably 25% to a fellow SC2 player XD
Reply Quote
This question is posed to all of the people who go out to eat. I am a part time server at a resturaunt and we get a lot of a specific demographic that dosn't tip very well.

I was curious on how much you belive is a good tip. Is it based on a percentage of the bill? if so what do you tip for bad/okay/good service. Or do you just tip based on how well they did ignoring the bill.

Please indulge me in your choices.

Standard should be 15%. If I get bad service, It goes down. Really bad service = really bad tip (if any at all). Excelent service I go up to 20%.
I work part time at a coop grocery store. We have the option for customers to drive up to the curb to pick up their groceries instead of having to carry them out. When we hear the bell ring, we take the groceries out to the car and load it up for them. I haven't had a tip from doing that in at least 3 months. It pisses me off when people don't tip.
Reply Quote
hmmmm.
Depends on the level of service.

If its absurdly bad, I get the manager and don't pay a cent (tip or otherwise). Last time this happened was when servers put us in an extremely drafty spot in the winter, provided silverware for only half of us, brought cold soup, stale bread, almost raw meat, and other atrocities such as covering the salad with dressing when it was request that there would be none.

aside from that, these are my general rules

0% if its a place that doesn't take tips
5% if its only to clean the tables/bring us glasses (self server places or low quality buffets.)
10% if it was decent but extremely slow.
14.95% if it was decidedly average.
20% if it was exceptional.
100% if held at gun point.
I even carry around a tip chart in my wallet to help assist with the maths (not that I actually need it, its just sort of something I do for the audacity of it.)

I have though of paying a 20% tip in pennies for bad service before, though I have never had to gone through with such a plan.
Reply Quote
I've delivered pizza for Dominos and Papa John's as side jobs for extra cash for about 6 years between the two. I know what it's like depending on tips to make your money. Servers usually have it worse because they're paid less than minimum wage, so they rely on tips much more than other jobs that rely on tips.

To that end, I've always tipped well. 15% is supposed to be the norm, but on the average order for a couple (which isn't that big) that still feels like chump change to me. I'll tip more on smaller bills so it's worth the server's time, and the bigger the bill gets the smaller the tip percentage will get, but not by a lot, and never under 20-25%; I'll also round up to the nearest $5. For example, if the bill was $26.73, I'll probably tip $8.27, so the total bill comes to $35, which is a 30.94% tip. If the bill was $85, I'd tip $20 or $25, which is a 23.53% to 29.41% tip.

I know there are a lot of people who try to get free food, get their bill reduced, or don't tip well under the guise of "my food tastes bad," when in reality the food is just fine, it's just the way it's supposed to be, and they either just didn't like the taste because they didn't realize what they were ordering or they're just saying they didn't like it so they don't have to pay as much. That kind of behavior really pisses me off, so I steer clear of doing anything like that, even if I don't like the food. However, if the food isn't cooked right I'll definitely speak up and get something new. Depending on what happened and happens afterward, I may or may not reduce the tip. I understand the fact that we're all human, and we all make mistakes sometimes, so fluke incidents don't bother me. Laziness, bad service, and repeated offenses do bother me, and it's often fairly easy to tell what the problem is.

I've usually never had to deduct from a tip or outright not tip at all due to bad waiter/waitress service. Most servers are kind and helpful. More often than not most mistakes in service that I've seen are minor and usually due to nervousness from being new. However, there was one time I went to eat at the Cactus Grill, a small chain or single restaurant I believe, in Colorado that I had the worst service of my life, by far. The waitress took about 20 minutes to get to my friend and I, even though they were slow, took another 30 minutes to get our drinks and appetizer, then started eating part of our appetizer when it was on the table! (granted my friend I was with was friends with a few people at the restaurant, but the server wasn't one of them), took another 20 minutes to bring our dinner, and to top it off she had a piss poor attitude. It was fracking ridiculous. Needless to say I didn't tip, seriously contemplated asking for the bill to be reduced (but didn't), and I never went back there.

In short, I like to tip more because I know what it's like to rely on tips for your income, and in general I'm pretty understanding and nice. Now that I'm married, my wife is blunt enough for the both of us. :)
Reply Quote
"The forums here are specifically to discuss the game and related topics. Any topics not related to StarCraft II, Battle.net or Blizzard are subject to deletion."

Offtopic discussions do not belong here on these forums unless they are related to the other non-Starcraft topic sections. I'll make a quick report to ensure this thread is locked or removed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]