StarCraft® II

how is COD an e sport?

07/31/2011 06:56 PMPosted by Voldemort
My only complaint about Black Ops is that the only viable weapon is the FAMAS. I'm pretty sure they've said it themselves when they had an overview of the game on (I think it was) the Blue stream. Don't get me wrong, CoD can be fun to play, but that fact has kind of upset me.

I bet money I can rickroll you with a M60. Or an AK47.
Reply Quote
How the hell is ESPORTS considered an actual sport? Granted, it's only considered to be a sport by the most horrible scum on earth *cough* day9 for one *cough*, but this silly little chair sitting competition is not a sport, and hopefully never will be.

What saddens me, is that Americans are also starting to consider this a sport. I know that country has only gone downhill since rock 'n' roll hit it, and hit it hard, in the '50s, but this is a new low for their people. :(

This entire thread should be irrelevant and deleted. But, alas, the world is not perfect.

Half the crap at the olympics doesn't qualify as a "sport" so much as a dance or something equally weaksauce.

IMO only real sports are pugilistic.
Reply Quote
Now. I'm not arguing at all that an Esport is a sport, so don't catch me wrong when I post this.

FROM WIKIPEDIA

A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner and loser can be defined by objective means. Generally speaking, a sport is a game based in physical athleticism. Activities such as board games and card games are sometimes classified as "mind sports," but strictly speaking "sport" by itself refers to some physical activity. Non-competitive activities may also qualify, for example though jogging or playing catch are usually classified as forms of recreation, they may also be informally called "sports" due to their similarity to competitive games.

They should be called something different, like an E competition. Or a Pro gaming fest.
Either way.... we aren't a sport and shouldn't pretend to be.

Call of duty isn't bad, the fact is that the skill ceiling isn't very high. Your going to be as good as you are. For instance, my brother (he used to play this a lot) probably could have gotten on with his British friends (Beasts) and win 2-4 out of 10 matches against the best team on call of duty. This is because the individual skill ceiling is low. So, watching it isn't fun because most people could be as good as you, and you really don't get a sense of the whole scene. Halo is a little better (Own a PS3), but not too much. Both are fun games for a casual gamer though.

If we wanted a shooter to be a ESport, It should be MAG, for it's teamwork element and map control qualities (256 players does mean map control is important), Socom: 2 or confrontation for teamwork that is not forced, but is needed, or CS for individual skill.

Starcraft 2 has a limitless skill ceiling

Reply Quote
SC2 skill ceiling is much higher than most other games so of course everyone here is going to be biased and say everything else is a joke.

Regardless, CoD is extremely fun to play.
Reply Quote

FROM WIKIPEDIA

Wikipedia is not a recognized source.
Reply Quote
Okay. Fine.

From Oxford-

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:

If that's not a official source, god help us all.

XD
Reply Quote
How the hell is ESPORTS considered an actual sport? Granted, it's only considered to be a sport by the most horrible scum on earth *cough* day9 for one *cough*, but this silly little chair sitting competition is not a sport, and hopefully never will be.

What saddens me, is that Americans are also starting to consider this a sport. I know that country has only gone downhill since rock 'n' roll hit it, and hit it hard, in the '50s, but this is a new low for their people. :(

This entire thread should be irrelevant and deleted. But, alas, the world is not perfect.

Back in my day, people played their games with their own body, in the snow, uphill, both ways!

Sorry, couldn't resist :P
Reply Quote
Sport
–noun
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

Athletic

–adjective
physically active and strong; good at athletics or sports: an athletic child.
of, like, or befitting an athlete.
of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training.

Yea so SC2 cant be called a sport either so your point is mute. Egame maybe.
Reply Quote
And why do you guys bother arguing semantics? Who the !@#$ cares if SC2 is a sport or not? It doesn't change what the game is nor makes it more enjoyable to watch, or are people in such a dire need to do something that is considered a sport? Seriously, no one should care except the marketing guys.
Reply Quote
Im just showing how the debate over CoD being an eSport or not is irrelavent when the fact is that SC2 isnt an eSport. You can call it an eGame. So therefore the debate is weather or not CoD is an eGame.... well its a game... so yea i would have to say its in the same bracket as SC2.
Reply Quote
Do people really watch that trash for hours a day?
drop shots, aks, spawn grenades, and spraying through walls.

lawl.

Mass infestors, cannon rushes, 6 pools, marine marauders game after game, this game isn't much different.

somehow i had a feeling about your league
Reply Quote

Its the same thing with COD. You will find most of the crap in the game to be found in the lower skills of gameplay however in the higher levels there is more skill in the players, your point is irrelevent. Also just because a game isn't neccesarily a strategy game doesn't mean it doesn't take skill, it just takes a different type of skill that you may not posses however you posses the skill to be good at Starcraft.

Seems like you like call of duty and are trying to defend it, but seriously its one of the worst FPS games. I mean it does take a different kind of skill than starcraft, that being said COD is one of the easiest FPS games you can playh
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]