how is COD an e sport?

Obvious CS !@#$% is obvious.

TF2 is the best FPS around.

+1
Reply Quote
Yes OP some people actually enjoy watching COD, not everyone has the same tastes as you. Just because you don't like it personally doesn't mean there aren't people who love to watch it. Just get over your egocentrism, you are not the only person in this world mate.
Reply Quote
I think the biggest issue with the CoD franchise being used in events like MLG and WCG is that they keep coming out with a new CoD every year or so lately.

The games can't reach maturity as far as gameplay goes because they keep releasing sequels which always alter the game mechanics such as mouse acceleration, hit box precision and damage variables (torso vs headshot vs extremity).

Because of this variability and constant sequel-making, the franchise, while immensely popular, can't gain the needed traction in the elite gaming scene.

Halo has remained steady (despite it's 3 recent sequels H3, ODST, Reach) because the basic gameplay has stayed the same. Typically the exact same weapons are used throughout the series.

CounterStrike, aside from small changes, has pretty much remained unchanged. As had Quake 3 in it's hayday. Both were honed games and matured to where the game mechanics no longer became the deciding factor in a match....it became players discovering the subtle nuances within a map or gameplay to achieve victory.

Which cannot be done when the game is only a year old (BlackOps, MW2) and has a sequel already on the way.

StarCraft was 12 years in the maturing. Countless patches, balance changes, an expansion pack and map modifications were done to make the game more about the player and less about luck based on flaws in game infancy. The game remained unchanged after that, allowing players to showcase their skills, not exploits of the game itself.

StarCraft 2 came along and didn't change the controls of the game, didn't change the core skills needed to win, but instead added additional things. Plus the fact that the game has 2 upcoming expansions means that the game is going to be supported by the manufacturer for at least 5-7 years since Wings of Liberty was released. That is longer than any of the other games listed on in this response (with the exception of CounterStrike)

TL;DR version
The fact that the CoD games keep coming out with entirely new games and they do it so close together means that there is no homogenization of the brand and thus cannot separate the lucky players from the truly good ones. This hurts the credibility of the franchise in the eyes of the competitive gaming world, and IMO will never allow the series, or its players, to be taken seriously.
Edited by Spectre on 8/1/2011 11:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the biggest issue with the CoD franchise being used in events like MLG and WCG is that they keep coming out with a new CoD every year or so lately.

The games can't reach maturity as far as gameplay goes because they keep releasing sequels which always alter the game mechanics such as mouse acceleration, hit box precision and damage variables (torso vs headshot vs extremity).

Because of this variability and constant sequel-making, the franchise, while immensely popular, can't gain the needed traction in the elite gaming scene.

Halo has remained steady (despite it's 3 recent sequels H3, ODST, Reach) because the basic gameplay has stayed the same. Typically the exact same weapons are used throughout the series.

CounterStrike, aside from small changes, has pretty much remained unchanged. As had Quake 3 in it's hayday. Both were honed games and matured to where the game mechanics no longer became the deciding factor in a match....it became players discovering the subtle nuances within a map or gameplay to achieve victory.

Which cannot be done when the game is only a year old (BlackOps, MW2) and has a sequel already on the way.

StarCraft was 12 years in the maturing. Countless patches, balance changes, an expansion pack and map modifications were done to make the game more about the player and less about luck based on flaws in game infancy. The game remained unchanged after that, allowing players to showcase their skills, not exploits of the game itself.

StarCraft 2 came along and didn't change the controls of the game, didn't change the core skills needed to win, but instead added additional things. Plus the fact that the game has 2 upcoming expansions means that the game is going to be supported by the manufacturer for at least 5-7 years since Wings of Liberty was released. That is longer than any of the other games listed on in this response (with the exception of CounterStrike)

TL;DR version
The fact that the CoD games keep coming out with entirely new games and they do it so close together means that there is no homogenization of the brand and thus cannot separate the lucky players from the truly good ones. This hurts the credibility of the franchise in the eyes of the competitive gaming world, and IMO will never allow the series, or its players, to be taken seriously.

The problem with call of duty is that the game is ESSENTIALLY IDENTICAL. especially between black ops and mw2.

What baffles me about this is why everyone uses controllers? why not use keyboard mouse?

I personally find it really hard to watch pro FPS's, its about as fun as watching my friends play when waiting my turn for a controller
Reply Quote
the SC series is probably the saddest excuse for a RTS game Ive played lolol
Turtle and mass marines and hope you win some games=profit?

not saying its true buuuut....
Reply Quote
08/01/2011 03:51 PMPosted by FrostedFlake
What baffles me about this is why everyone uses controllers? why not use keyboard mouse?

Because gaming pc's are expensive and are constantly becoming obsolete
Reply Quote
I enjoyed call of duty games (past tense), but there is nothing competitive about them. The gameplay is unpredictable and unbalanced. TDM matches almost always devolve into a battle to see which team can get more lucky, or spend more time drop shotting.

I played a little of MW1 and 2, but I've had way more than enough of that series. Starcraft 1 evolves has a better chance at being a legitimate Esport than any CoD game ever has and ever will.
Reply Quote

how the hell is ESPORTS considered an actual sport?

07/31/2011 09:26 PMPosted by FancyPants
but this silly little chair sitting competition is not a sport, and hopefully never will be.

Sports require physical finesse and mass gross motor function.

eSports require extreme mental dexterity and very fine motor function.

Granted, it's only considered to be a sport by the most horrible scum on earth *cough* day9 for one *cough*

Maybe your hatred of day9 is what keeps you in bronze

I know that country has only gone downhill since rock 'n' roll hit it, and hit it hard, in the '50s, but this is a new low for their people. :(

How old are you to have remembered about how the country has "only gone downhill since rock'n'roll hit it hard in the '50's"? You would be 60+. And the lack of mental flexibility of old, senile people may be what is keeping you from being good at this game.
Reply Quote
nerds mad because Sc2 isn't a sport?

its the deformed, misconstrued, awkward cousing... "e-sport".

lol
Reply Quote
07/31/2011 07:15 PMPosted by MtlGuitarist
retarded kids screaming into a mic

^^^^reason why i barely play COD
Reply Quote
Granted, it's only considered to be a sport by the most horrible scum on earth *cough* day9 for one *cough*

Maybe your hatred of day9 is what keeps you in bronze

im in bronze but i still approve of this reply :P
Reply Quote
........Really? If you can't figure it out, you don't deserve to ask the question.
Reply Quote
How is COD an E-sport?

Wait...I thought it was a fish.
Reply Quote
Sometimes something is a sport simply because it can be sold off as one. Imagine how many cod players would llke to watch it as an e-sport. It's best not to be elitist about these things because of course everyone will think the game they play takes the most skill, mentioning cod as an e-sport to the starcraft community is going to insinuate flames.

I myself despise cod, but not because its popular or that it takes "no skill", I do think the game takes skill, just not as much as something like starcraft. I would also point out that I think halo is a very deep and skill based game, if a bit too team based. Sure it has alot of auto aim but if you have played halo for a decent amount of time you would realize that halo is not a shooter that is based around just "aiming", i almost would consider it a first person action game. Cod can be looked at in the same manner, there is a reason why certain players are playing at the tournament as opposed to random 12 year olds, the game does take skill, but its a different kind of skill.

Street fighter (or other fighting games) are e-sports as well, they also take a bleeding edge amount of skill to play at top levels, it just different skills, more reaction based and seeing into the next 2 seconds perfectly. Starcraft is more lenient about such immediacy but places more emphasis on overall strategy and planning ahead for the next 5-10 minutes. Sure there are some situations that require superb reflexes in starcraft, but they are not constantly in demand.

I see e-sports as a chance to make a new community where everyone is a gamer and everyone respects the games other people play as part of the e-sport community, unlike the physical sports world where they do not even acknowledge other sports. So don't hate on call of duty because you cannot play as well as the pros can at that game, if you do not like it, don't watch it. I know I don't because I hate cod, but I can respect the fact that people are good at it.

Reply Quote
I was under the impression that CoD was not balanced enough for professional play. DO they all hack to max level or do they play every game at level one? That game is why politicians hate gaming. Games like Mass Effect, which is basically a movie, are where the industry needs more of. Games with great stories. Halo, Starcraft, Assassin's Creed come to mind. CoD pisses me off. Every single person I know that owns it, save for one, would be easily considered an retard. And not just because they play CoD, though that certainly doesn't help.
Reply Quote
A few games with good stories that I thoroughly enjoyed:

Mass Effect.
Persona.
Final Fantasy (before 2002).
Fallout.
Fire Emblem.
Assassin's Creed.
Portal.

I think the industry has enough good story games. But I agree that we need more. The collection is slowly shrinking.
Reply Quote
You got a point there...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]