StarCraft® II

how is COD an e sport?

True

I've played Halo on the other hand, and there is an FPS that definetly could be an e-sport. Lots of games like CTF involve elements of map control that you see in starcraft.

it is. halo is an esport. if you have halo waypoint on your xbox live (its a free download) then you can whatch some matches. halo is actually a good esport too.

and @ the OP, tell me this: how is it different than this game. its a sixty dollar game you can buy at most game retailers, involves lots of different people, some of which are horrible, others of which are good at it. plus both sides have cheesers and cheap ways of instant wins (tactical nuke, despite the 25 kill streak required, its an instant win.)

its like star craft, just a different type of game. and different types of games cannot be compared, becuase they arent similar enough.
Reply Quote
Quake live and CS are respectable FPS games in esports. Anything playable on the 360 doesn't deserve to be an esport.
Reply Quote
Majority of people here who CLAIM they played professionally in any FPS have all got it wrong on how it is done.

Deathmatch type games aside I can say its about the luck factor in turok, quake, unreal, or any game that has a generate random spawn every man for itself option.

Majority of FPS "team" based games that you see in most of these competitive tournaments are very strategic in there own light. Teams practice for hours getting those positions because thats how you play an FPS. Or any game involving a gun its about position. Sure, maybe it isn't as entertaining to watch as RTS I understand that but thats debating apples and oranges. COD MW1 was the most played FPS competitively and casually of all time still regaining the top champ according to some ladders/esport sites. My gripe as with what some people have said on here is that every year a new game comes out and nothing is change or improved from the last. I can go on and on about the perks for cod mw, gun balance, and map design.

Personally the FPS world isn't as grand as it use to be when CS, Rainbow Six, Battlefield, Unreal Tournament, and COD 1 was out... you had several very well thought out fun games that fit almost every catagory for an FPS... semi realistic easy to play game... CS/COD, ultra realistic strategy FPS... R6, Vehicle combat World War-eqsh... BF, Furturistic maddness...Unreal... point is each game was great in its own right now I myself whose a huge FPS advocate can't stand to see what FPS has devolved too today and when I get my degree and my ideas of what an FPS to be comes to real... I garentee I'll trounce the competition out there.
Reply Quote
"I've played Halo on the other hand, and there is an FPS that definetly could be an e-sport. Lots of games like CTF involve elements of map control that you see in starcraft."

WTF is SnD, if not the most tactical gametype for FPS? Or Domination or Demolition if you want a game with map/spawn control. I could go on about how much more tactical SnD and other gametypes are on Cod4 than "x" but its honestly its opinion based.
Reply Quote
If only Black Ops took any real skill, then this would be a different discussion entirely.
Reply Quote
Do people really watch that trash for hours a day?
drop shots, aks, spawn grenades, and spraying through walls.

lawl.

Mass infestors, cannon rushes, 6 pools, marine marauders game after game, this game isn't much different.

Dt rush's, SCV rush, Zrush, 1 base 2 gate robo, Nukes.....
Much much Different from CoD, same basics, different everything else.
Reply Quote
How is anything a e- "Sport"? e-competition, yes, but sport? nope. Sport is you know go out and break a sweat doing athletic things.......not sitting on your tush staring at a screen playing a game that dictates itself and lookin like a total doosh while doing so (Idra). SC became a "sport" in korea because koreans suck at anything athletic, and now we in the U.S. are slowly but surely becoming the same lazy, non athletic, unhealthy dooshbags as them.......hope I answered your question
Reply Quote
o yeah and as for COD being a E-sport, thats like comparing chess players to paintball players, chess takes more knowledge of the game like starcraft but paintball takes more on the fly skill, like COD
Reply Quote
The retards that like Black Ops are the ones that need to be forceably sterilized.
Reply Quote
some mad nerds itt, why do people care so much about another game they feel they need to make a post in the forums for a different game just to complain... I guess as they say, haters gonna hate
Reply Quote
TF was broke the second they updated it with these !@#$ty unlock weapons and people that play the game just for hats
Reply Quote
well for all the people hating on e sports... which i must admit..isnt an actual sport :\ cuz your not moving...like at all lol

BUT for all the atheletic people. they get to play a game. a fun game. yes football is game lol. and get cash? and sure they're tired at the end...physically but it's still fun.

Well smart people or those who cant be pro sports players, they cant play a game?, have some fun? and earn some cash? seems kinda unfair )= and lets face it. If your in a 45 or 30 minute macro game....isnt that insanely tiring? you hands feel wierd...you take a gigantic sigh of relief when it's over...and ur head needs a break

similar feeling to an actual sport? sort of.

And 2 strategic minds clashing in a fun game of stacraft isnt much differnt from 2 physical bodies clashing in a game of basketball.

except the fact that...basketball or any physical sport actually gets you fit haha.

and im not saying sports players arent smart... a lot of them are.
Reply Quote
08/02/2011 09:09 AMPosted by PeaCeKeePeR
How is anything a e- "Sport"? e-competition, yes, but sport? nope. Sport is you know go out and break a sweat doing athletic things.......not sitting on your tush staring at a screen playing a game that dictates itself and lookin like a total doosh while doing so (Idra). SC became a "sport" in korea because koreans suck at anything athletic, and now we in the U.S. are slowly but surely becoming the same lazy, non athletic, unhealthy dooshbags as them.......hope I answered your question

1. Koreans are pretty good at Tae Kwan Do, and MMA
2. Americans are becoming either obese or fit, neither has anything to do with e-sports
Reply Quote

Mass infestors, cannon rushes, 6 pools, marine marauders game after game, this game isn't much different.

you dont know what your talking about

^ NEITHER DO YOU GOLDIE LOLOL
Reply Quote
This whole topic is much like auto racing as a sport. NASCAR and F1 are totally different but people are devoted and watch either or both. Same thing here. Team HOT 5 were amazing to watch(and play against) back around BF2, 2142, quake wars and more(not sure if they are still around). FPS are much more popular in NA then Asia and Europe. It really depends on where the viewers interest lies.
Reply Quote
This is coming from someone who spent a couple years in the competitive Call of Duty scene. I played vcod/cod2/cod4 competitively and I can say that the amount of team work and communication required to compete is pretty high, the amount of map control you need to win certain rounds is very high. The skill level required to really compete at these games is high. Competitive COD is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different than simply pubbing. Now the new Cod games, like mw2 and blops I cant comment on because I hate those games. But the older cod games, yes I would consider them an E-sport.
Edited by Wenus on 8/2/2011 1:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I played CoD Black Ops and I personally think its crap and that Dead Space 2 Multi is better than that even if its L4D style Multi, Dead space 2 has a really good Single player though.
Reply Quote
MW is not as bad of an e-sport, but other fps are better for e-sports, like quake 3 arena, ANY unreal, CS (though i don't like it, it's probly best for e-sports.) COD is just popular rite now among non-e-sporters, so of course the best ppl are going to try to make money off of it. not the worst e-sport idea.

and wenus said it best, i do think MW1 was a better competitive game. the new CODs that are churned out every year kinda suck !@#. i was awesome in MW1... silenced pistol headshot from across the map...
Edited by Fenix on 8/2/2011 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/31/2011 06:56 PMPosted by Jcranberries
TF2 is the best FPS around.

False.

IMHO....
Reply Quote
should any game be a sport?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]