StarCraft® II

Disappearing Mouse

Support Forum Agent
Hi getan,

This is something our team found needed a Terminal line/script. This happens due to the OS X limitations on functionality for this aspect. We originally had the older aspect, but then after getting feedback, caused the disappearing mouse issue for some dual display users, which is why we tried the new method. This had another issue itself where it would seem like the cursor is jumping from one screen to another, even if its fullscreen mode.

When this aspect is updated, we can try to play around with this option more to see if it can be fully optimized. But for now, you do have choices :)
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Sunday to Thursday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm CST
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. How's this sheep doing?
The Mechanical sheep formerly known as as TonyM!
If at first you don't succeed... call it Version 1.0..
Reply Quote
Ah I think I spoke too soon. The workaround worked for a couple of games. When I got to the Char missions, it started to breakdown on me again. I exited the game and put in that command again then restarted the game. The mouse seemed fine for the first couple of minutes but went wonky near the end of the game. I had to Command+Tab a couple of times to "capture" the mouse again and again. :(
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
12/19/2011 10:23 PMPosted by getan
I'm using an early 2011 MBP 13" model with a Logitech M505 wireless mouse.

Looking back at your first response, I think this is the issue. We've had reports for WoW and SC2 about mouse issues with USB wireless mice (ones with a nano receiver) and aluminum unibody MacBooks/MacBook Pros. This has something to due with the placement of the receiver, power-source and the unibody itself. There is some interference with all these things happening.

If you have a USB external hub or a keyboard that has a USB plug, try attaching it there. This will make the issues go away.

This is an issue we've escalated to Apple, as this is something we are not able to address.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Sunday to Thursday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm CST
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. How's this sheep doing?
Edited by Machkhan on 12/22/2011 5:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey Machkhan. Looks like you're right. I've been playing all yesterday and I think everything's alright now. Thanks!

In light of this, are there any mice out there that has any issues with Macs running starcraft 2?

Happy holidays!
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Not that I know of. As long as you have the correct drivers for it, all mice should work. Only the USB wireless mice and unibody Macbook/MacBook Pros are the things to keep an eye out, and use this work around.
Edited by Machkhan on 1/8/2012 10:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
I was having this issue too; seems the regression is with multiple monitors, you've got to turn on the clamp process in fullscreen.

My setup:

iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2010
3.6 GHz Intel Core i5
12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

External monitor connected via DisplayPort->DVI, SCII on whatever our current patch is at the time of this post.

I'm using a Razer DeathAdder and the standard Razer OS X driver.

The cursor disappearing wasn't happening as frequently as it seems to have for other people, but usually did once per game. Windowing, tabbing out and then switching back in fixed it.

The funny thing was ONLY the display of the cursor disappeared. One could still play, units would highlight when hovered over properly; it's just that you couldn't see the image of the cursor.

Using defaults write com.blizzard.starcraft2 useClampProcessInFullscreen -bool YES solved the issue for me.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks for that feedback Dcon :)
So, Thrall, Jaina, and Kerrigan are all sitting around playing poker…
Reply Quote
Same problem. Losing games because of it.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
You will need to expand on this Foresight. Dcon was able to resolve his issue using some steps. Can you elaborate what's going on and what you've tried?

Pfft! Secret doors, who needs 'em? What do I care about secret doors?... and the unparalleled delights they keep hidden from the world!
Reply Quote
I am having the same problem it's so stupid! please fix!!
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 12 GB

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C2950H-170
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.544
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort
TOSHIBA-TV:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes
Reply Quote
Suuuure... blame the mouse! ;)

Same issues here! Stupid mouse.
Reply Quote
Same issues for the past 2 years. We've told you how to replicate it but no one has set up the test environment to prove that it does. Nor has the problem been fixed.

Multiple monitors with the ATI Radeon do not work for Mac Starcraft. Be warned... this is a "will not fix" bug apparently.
Reply Quote
This has been on going for me since WoL. I think it has to do with dual monitors, or so I've read before. It is still going on for me. I have to cmd+tab out and back in to get my mouse to come back.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
This has to do with the way confine cursor works on dual display mode. Since OS X does not have a native method to do this, custom code had to be implemented, which has some limitations on dual display setups.

We have a support article that may help you with configuring a custom setting if you have a dual display setup.

Other than that, without Apple adding some native functionality, this workaround is still in place.
Edited by Machkhan on 5/13/2013 10:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am having the same problem on a 2013 IMac with one monitor:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac14,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.15f2
Serial Number (system): D25LW2D1F8JC
Hardware UUID: 9960D2AB-73DC-5FB8-943C-EA57F8C7B5A5

What should I try to fix this?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]