StarCraft® II

Optimal order to complete campaign on Brutal?

I completed all 29 missions on Normal and got Hurry Up: It's Raid Night (SEA server)
When I do it again I will try to get all the Hard achievements in one playthrough, and then beat Brutal using the archive (I'm not good enough to do everything in one Brutal run)

This is what I think:
01: Liberation Day
02: The Outlaws
03: Zero Hour

04: The Evacuation
05: The Devil's Playground
06: Outbreak
07: Smash and Grab
08: Welcome to the Jungle

once unlocked
09: The Dig
10: Whispers of Doom
11: A Sinister Turn
12: Echoes of the Future
13: In Utter Darkness
14: Breakout
all missions that tech/upgrades do not matter

15: The Great Train Robbery (cheeze with tanks)
16: The Moebius Factor
17: Safe Haven (lvl 3 upgrade)
18: Cutthroat
19: Engine of Destruction
20: Media Blitz
21: Piercing the Shroud

22: Supernova (with tech reactor)
23: Maw of the Void

24: Ghost of a Chance
25: Haven's Fall

26: Gates of Hell
27: Shatter the Sky
28: Belly of the Beast
29: All-In

What do you think?
Reply Quote
I don't think a great deal of players are capable of getting all of the achieves in one run through of Brutal... I really don't think there is an optimal order for completion... It all depends on your play style and which units you feel you need a.s.a.p. to help you get through. Personally I'd probably get "Smash and Grab" and "The Dig" sooner because I love using Marauders and Siege Tanks and I completely abuse their Merc counterparts. Especially for Brutal.

Sounds like you have a strong idea of what you want to do, so my advice would be to go for what you feel is best for you... My implementation of playing through the Brutal missions [for me] involved 4 separate campaigns - one for each story path. That way I had all possible upgrades available to take on the challenges with as much tactical advantage as possible.

:D
Reply Quote
Of course I'm not going to attempt getting all achievements on Brutal - I tried getting all the achievements on a per mission basis during my first campaign without researching or upgrading anything, I gave up since I absolutely can't get the hard achievement in Engine of Destruction/Supernova

I save Smash and Grab for no.07 because I feel the need for upgraded marines and medics, and that Outbreak requires nothing but reapers

I'm already doing the side quests on Normal, I really want to be able to beat all missions on Hard/Brutal in one run, thus this planning
Reply Quote
I think you're off to a great start.. Awesome! Good luck to ya! :D
Reply Quote
There may not be an optimal order. There may be more than one mission that you will find difficult.

My advice would be to try playing them from the archive and just give up for the time being on the ones you find extremely difficult.

Then you can start a new campaign and play in a different order to get the upgrades and research you need.

Of course, the strategy you use may be what needs working on. Research the missions you have trouble with here and at Liquipedia and on You Tube.

Ghost of a Chance won't benefit from research and upgrades you get after Breakout. The same goes for Haven's Fall and Safe Haven. That said, I don't think I can offer a better single path for playing through.

I usually play Smash and Grab right away to get the Marauders for the other missions. It's not a big deal, but you probably would use Marauders in the Evacuation if you could; you probably wouldn't use Firebats in Smash and Grab in any case.

A plan Sheppard has posted involves making a save - not an autosave - early on so you can re-play in different paths. That way you can save for last the missions from one storyline at a time and have the good tech for each of them. You can play the others on normal or casual if you want.

Something else you can try; play a mission using a cheese or just ignoring the optional objectives. Then play it from the archive on a lower level to get the research. I don't know for sure that this works, but i would definitely give it a try. At worst you have to reload a save and play one mission over.
Reply Quote
There's not enough credit to purchase improved healing after Zero Hour, which I found important for Smash and Grab

I didn't make any firebats in The Evacuation either, just stimmed marines and lots of medics

Ghost of a Chance, Haven's Fall and Belly of the Beast can be played any time, I just do them before All-In so that I could get the Completionist achievement as I finish
Reply Quote
There's not enough credit to purchase improved healing after Zero Hour, which I found important for Smash and Grab

That makes sense, especially on brutal as there are a few Protoss flyers and you'll need marines in the mix.
Reply Quote
Pretty much...Get Tanks Asap and goilaths . Once you get those two, you are set. Anti ground and Anti-air.
Reply Quote
That's almost exactly the order I used for a straight Brutal run where I got all tech pickups. However I advise bumping Supernova and Maw of the Void up to basically as soon as you have tech reactor and viking. None of the other upgrades will really help with those missions anyway and BCs can be used in Engine of Destruction to great effect.
Reply Quote
Total protoss research points available = 39, but 36 only if you choose Safe Haven
4 in Supernova, 4 in Maw of the Void, 4 in Piercing the Shroud

Tech reactor is not attainable for Supernova before Engine of Destruction unless I play Haven's Fall =/
Reply Quote
07/31/2011 05:53 AMPosted by Cabal
Tech reactor is not attainable for Supernova before Engine of Destruction unless I play Haven's Fall =/

It's just a darn shame that Safe Haven gives Zerg research. Every time through I think, "Man, I need Protoss research".

I used to think Haven's Fall was easier, then I learned the trick to Safe Haven. The latter seems so much faster now, and who wants to watch that awful cinematic after Haven's Fall?
Reply Quote
07/31/2011 06:44 AMPosted by DiamondDave
I learned the trick to Safe Haven

Oh, now you did it... My curiosity is up and runnin'. Which trick is that, DiamondDave? XD
Edited by Sheppard on 7/31/2011 8:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/31/2011 08:16 AMPosted by Sheppard
I learned the trick to Safe Haven

Oh, now you did it... My curiosity is up and runnin'. Which trick is that, DiamondDave? XD

Using the ledges by the first two Nexuses. It makes it EZPZ. You can take out the first Nexus with the three starting Vikings.
Reply Quote
u can also take out the first Zerg Nest to the right of yer Base in the Haven's Fall mission with yer starter vikes.

or u can just complete the whole level using only vikes. At least on Normal and Hard. On Brutal I used Golaiths. Cos Goliaths are the best campaign unit. After the Merc Goliaths.
Reply Quote
07/31/2011 04:35 PMPosted by Brod
u can also take out the first Zerg Nest to the right of yer Base in the Haven's Fall mission with yer starter vikes.

Yeah, I got that one down... I always loose the first colony to come under fire though - Those Mutas always tear my poor Vikings a new one! :o
Reply Quote
Total protoss research points available = 39, but 36 only if you choose Safe Haven
4 in Supernova, 4 in Maw of the Void, 4 in Piercing the Shroud

I always do Haven's Fall, protoss research is better and like you said, it gives tech reactor sooner. But if you plan to do Safe Haven, then your order is probably the ideal one.
Edited by TrashMammal on 7/31/2011 11:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I was able to finish Echoes of the Future in 1min59ec on Normal while completing all mission objectives
Will let you know when I start the run (and into trouble)
Reply Quote
I was able to finish Echoes of the Future in 1min59ec on Normal while completing all mission objectives
Will let you know when I start the run (and into trouble)

Yeah, that sounds about right... Gotta love the "Blink" ability! :D
Reply Quote
I was thinking of doing Hanson's missions first so that we could get the vikings as quickly as possible because they're pretty affordable, good to have, and with them, they can possibly make you beat the missions faster, especially when they're mercenaries with the "Phobos-Class Weapons System". You've got to love them. After "Outbreak" though, I was thinking of doing "The Devil's Playground", then "Smash and Grab." After the Haven mission (Safe Haven's my favorite), it's "The Dig", then all the protoss missions, and I agree with you on that Caleb. Why? Because of the research upgrades we need quickly. After that, it's the artifact missions, Tosh's (Breakout's my favorite), and Horner's.
Reply Quote
Just remember that there is always a way of beating campaign on brutal with all the achievements on all the missions at a time, but also with "Hurry Up, It's Raid Night"?. I don't think that anyone would stand a chance, neither would I. I've tried it before, and it worked.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]