StarCraft® II

2011 Blizzard Global Writing Contest!

(Locked)

08/18/2011 07:51 PMPosted by Icywizard
IS THE SPONSOR OF THIS CONTEST. THIS CONTEST IS OPEN ONLY TO RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES, CANADA, MEXICO, CHILE, ARGENTINA, COLOMBIA, VENEZUELA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, SINGAPORE, FRANCE, BELGIUM, THE UNITED KINGDOM, LUXEMBOURG, GERMANY, AUSTRIA, SWITZERLAND, SWEDEN, FINLAND, DENMARK, NORWAY, SPAIN, IRELAND, RUSSIA, THE NETHERLANDS, AND SOUTH KOREA WHO ARE: (i) AT OR OVER THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THEIR COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH THAT THE ENTRANT SUBMITS AN ESSAY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THESE RULES TO SPONSOR TO ENTER THE CONTEST; AND (ii) NOT RESIDENTS OF THE STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA, VERMONT, CONNECTICUT, OR MARYLAND IN THE UNITED STATES; THE PROVINCE OF QUEBEC, CANADA; OR THE AUSTRALIAN STATE OF VICTORIA OR QUEENSLAND, OR THE AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY ("ENTRANTS").

I believe that it is saying that every province in Canada other than the province of Quebec, Canada is allowed to enter.

If that's what they mean they worded it really odd at least for me they did.
Maybe I'll enter if I could find the time to write a story xD
08/19/2011 12:47 PMPosted by Cookies

I believe that it is saying that every province in Canada other than the province of Quebec, Canada is allowed to enter.

If that's what they mean they worded it really odd at least for me they did.

Only because you haven't quite figured out semicolons. Quebec has different laws about contests so it's pretty normal for them to be excluded.
I was so happy to enter my short story but then I notice Panama is not on the list for eligible countries. Epic fail.

You know the irony of my country? Panama is known as a trade country and yet it blows on many aspects, specially in technology.
I've a question - what if we want to submit, but would be unable to travel if we won the Grand Prize?
08/17/2011 03:11 PMPosted by Aradan
Also, best of luck with your submissions.

Thanks. I think I'm too late, though.
So will Blizzard hate me if I write a short story with one of their main characters? Or will they make sure any actions this character does before their own lore happens or after takes into account every single piece of lore they've either written, or implied?
08/30/2011 08:42 AMPosted by Ryno
So will Blizzard hate me if I write a short story with one of their main characters? Or will they make sure any actions this character does before their own lore happens or after takes into account every single piece of lore they've either written, or implied?
Look at the last to previous winners. They featured famous Warcraft/WOW lore figures's POVs from Sylvanas Windrunner, Lor'themar Theron, Rommath, Tirion Fordring, and Darion Mograine.

Make sure you keep up with the latest lore and conunitiy. As I see, the past two shows Blizzard probably wants a resonable, "small but of (minor) historical significance" short story that can be weaved into their IP fiction. (Blood Elves relations with the Horde/Forsaken, and the creation of Shadowmourne and its welder.)

Random Examples: (NOTE: FYI anybody feel free to use these suggested concepts, I won't be.)
  • Explore part of Deckard Cain's journey across Sanctuary, following after the Dark Wanderer/Adventurers up to the Barbarian lands and the Worldstone's destruction.
  • Something that leads up to Dominion Section's lose of their teammate, Yancy Gray to the KMC Creeper Kachinsky's spider mines on Artesia Prime during the Guild Wars.
  • Great War/Brood War/Pre-Second Great War (freethinker/politician/Findlay) story on New Folsom under the Dominion's watch.
  • Vol'jin leading his Darkspear Tribe for Kalimdor/Durotar, finally departing from their naga witch-cursed "Darkspear islands" homeland.
  • Rexxar's nomadic story of meeting Misha and reaching Kalimodr.
  • How the Banshee Queen and her Forsaken joined the Horde pre-WOW.
  • Edited by Eroldren on 8/30/2011 3:52 PM PDT
    Does the story have to be about lore from a blizzard game?
    Is there a minimum age for this contest?
    Alright, I am going to give this my best shot!
    For Andy Chambers!
    with 2012 almost here, i think this sticky is a bit out of date.
    11/15/2011 12:09 PMPosted by Brathearon
    with 2012 almost here, i think this sticky is a bit out of date.

I just want to know the results already...
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]