StarCraft® II

Dr. Narud/Duran and the Fallen One - Hybrids

First post.

Last night, I was re-playing SC2 WOL missions again, just so I can try to connect my thoughts about the Hybrids. I think I have some reasonable theories that I would like to share and hope to get feedback on.

1) First Prophecy Mission - Whispers of Doom
In that first mission, Zeratul meets up with "High Templar Karass" who coincidently arrives to the Dark Moon to piece together the prophecies segments. It seemed so coincidential that he does meet up with this High Templar Karass who has glowing red eyes, similar to the Dark Voice. See here:

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Karass

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100906205436/starcraft/images/thumb/c/c8/Karass_SC2_Head1.jpg/200px-Karass_SC2_Head1.jpg

What was he doing there in the first place?
- Trying to stop Kerrigan from figuring out the prophecy?
- Killing Zeratul would not accomplish anything, and would probably blow "Karass"'s cover
- Let's try to kill Kerrigan at that point in the caverns
- This templar looks like the Dark Voice

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101227201220/starcraft/images/thumb/c/cc/DarkVoice_SC2_Head3.jpg/180px-DarkVoice_SC2_Head3.jpg

- Karass also falls in this battle, but his portrait seems to return, "In utter darkness".
- Is this why he is called, "The Fallen One???"

2) Dr. Narud aka Duran from SC1 - The guy who makes the Hybrids in SC1
- Jim Raynor mentions, "who may have created these hybrids, and who's instructing them?"
- It also seems coincidential that "Narud" is working for Mobieus and in the Mobeius factor, he instructs Raynor to destroy the data cores? Why? To prevent Kerrigan from finding out the secrets of the Hybrids maybe? Sure, his goal may be to prevent intel from falling to enemy's hands, but as an outside observer, Narud = Duran, seems too coincidential.

3) Secret Mission in WOL
- The only scientist we know who created the Hybrids is Duran. We also know that "Narud" is working for Mobeius, which is connected to the Dominion, which is connected to the lab? Any connections to the hybrids? My money would be on "YES", because in SC1, Duran says in the mission "Dark Origin"

Duran: "Your violence, young prodigal, is typical. As is your inability to comprehend the greater scheme of things. You can destroy all of the specimens here. It will do you no good. For I have seeded the Hybrid on many, many worlds. You will never find them all before they awaken... And when they do... your universe will be changed... forever."

Maybe he is controlling the Hybrids? Thoughts?
Edited by NeeGo on 8/11/2011 7:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
in BW i figured that the labs constructing the hybrids belonged to the dominion. After all, what other terran could be doing it? I didnt think the UED had plans for it (not to mention their expeditionary force dies), and the confederacy may have been experimenting with them. After all, they did get mad for you destroying zerg in SC1, but everything belongs to mengsk now.

That karass thing is an interesting observation (as well as the other observations). The wiki article you linked for his portrait says

On the eve of the Second Great War, Karass and his troops journeyed to Ulaan in pursuit of Infested Kerrigan. There he met the Prelate Zeratul; the dark templar was seeking information on the hybrids. The praetor put himself at Zeratul's disposal and the pair broke through zerg patrols and found the prophecy Zeratul and Kerrigan sought. Kerrigan attacked the outnumbered protoss shortly afterwards.

It does seem odd to journey to a planet thats pretty much a suicide mission.
Edited by Brathearon on 8/11/2011 8:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/11/2011 07:35 AMPosted by NeeGo
For I have seeded the Hybrid on many, many worlds.

Spoken like a Xel'Naga.

08/11/2011 08:07 AMPosted by Brathearon
It does seem odd to journey to a planet thats pretty much a suicide mission.

...That sums up the entire side campaign of Zeratul's adventures.

Reply Quote
08/11/2011 08:38 AMPosted by Sheppard

hm? Zeratul wasnt trying to encounter kerrigan though. What i mean is that Karass seemed to run into a suicide mission knowingly.
Reply Quote
08/11/2011 08:53 AMPosted by Brathearon
What i mean is that Karass seemed to run into a suicide mission knowingly.

Yeah, I got that... I agree with you all the way. I was affirming that all of Zeratul's endeavors to seek the truth always took him on some kind of suicidal, greatly out numbered missions.

I never made the connection with Karass before until this post. That certainly makes me scratch my head in wonderment. I find it interesting that Karass knew what Zeratul was doing considering that Zeratul went upon a self imposed exile in an effort to discover the truth of the hybrid mystery. If Karass is involved with the Fallen One in some way...

... This is additional evidence just goes to support my hunch* that Zeratul has been deceived by the Fallen One concerning his desire [the Fallen One] for using Kerrigan for his own plans.

*Reference These Posts For Further Information:

"Possible HotS Story"
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2927095200?page=1
"Plot Twist!"
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2973017866?page=1

I am very interested in this indeed. ツ
Reply Quote
08/11/2011 08:53 AMPosted by Brathearon

hm? Zeratul wasnt trying to encounter kerrigan though. What i mean is that Karass seemed to run into a suicide mission knowingly.

And that's what i'm having difficulty finding, why would he want to go to the Xel'naga caves anyways? Was there an underlying intention.

in BW i figured that the labs constructing the hybrids belonged to the dominion. After all, what other terran could be doing it? I didnt think the UED had plans for it (not to mention their expeditionary force dies), and the confederacy may have been experimenting with them. After all, they did get mad for you destroying zerg in SC1, but everything belongs to mengsk now.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that those terrans were mercenaries. The reason I think that was because the UED couldn't find Duran, nor could Kerrigan after all the B.S. went down. The dominion could be a likely suspect. Maybe Duran turned into Narud for the dominion and no one really knew.

Was there any missions in SC1 BW that involved Samir Duran directly or indirectly other than conflicts? I can't remember. All I remember was him assisting the UED in its missions.
Reply Quote
Narud backwards is Duran O.O
Reply Quote
08/11/2011 10:31 AMPosted by NeeGo
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that those terrans were mercenaries. The reason I think that was because the UED couldn't find Duran, nor could Kerrigan after all the B.S. went down. The dominion could be a likely suspect. Maybe Duran turned into Narud for the dominion and no one really knew.

I've always thought that Duran was somehow working on his own because I didn't think that Mengsk couldn't've been in power long enough to begin establishing extreme black-ops projects like that of the Hybrids. I've just felt [because I can] that Duran was even working on this before the events of Starcraft began. Just a hunch, though, and no... I cannot prove it - Maybe I spend too much time watching mystery-style TV shows.

Dr. Emil Narud backwards is Duran Lime Rd. XD

Reply Quote
08/11/2011 04:07 PMPosted by Sheppard

I've always thought that Duran was somehow working on his own because I didn't think that Mengsk couldn't've been in power long enough to begin establishing extreme black-ops projects like that of the Hybrids. I've just felt [because I can] that Duran was even working on this before the events of Starcraft began. Just a hunch, though, and no... I cannot prove it - Maybe I spend too much time watching mystery-style TV shows.

Dr. Emil Narud backwards is Duran Lime Rd. XD

Actually, I was doing the Secret Mission for SC2 all over again and I quote:
"This technology is beyond anything terrans have developed, he (dominion) must have had help." (Horner)

In SC1's Dark Origns mission, Duran says that "I serve a higher power", and that did not refer to Kerrigan because he also said that this was something that she couldn't even comprehend.

Thoughts on that?
Reply Quote
I believe that the higher power is the same as the dark voice. I think duran helped the dominion make the hybrids.
Reply Quote
08/12/2011 06:25 AMPosted by NeeGo
Duran says that "I serve a higher power"

In "A Sinister Turn" the first enemy stalker to your base says "the preservers you seek serve a higher power now..."
Very interesting...
Reply Quote
Also to note in the Moebius factor... Kerrigan says she sees through Dr. Narud's

"pathetic charade". Personally I think Narud is Duran and serves the Dark voice.
Edited by Slayer on 8/16/2011 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
They are more like being compelled
Reply Quote
it also is strange to make his portrait look evil.
Reply Quote
Give up the Narud/Duran non-connection. It's bull$#!+ and always was.
Reply Quote
I haven been always confused on the matter how a Protoss task force mange to find Ulaan so quickly or even followed Kerrigan with the timing of Battle of Ehlna so near/impossible. Though I hope Blizzard tell Kerrigan's knowledge of things in HotS regarding Ulaan and the Prophecy.

Nothing to do with the main Duran/Narud topic but I just notice Dr. Emil Narud, Donny Vermillion, and Karass' portraits are unavailable to use. Damn I would love to have those three.
Reply Quote
Did you know that Duran twice is Duran Duran? Buahahah, anyways, this theory is pretty fascinating. I'm actually in the mission right now where i'm helping narud, but am i helping out a bad guy? hmmmmm.
Reply Quote
LOL @ Karass being connected to hybrids.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]