StarCraft® II

WHY did Mengsk abandon Kerrigan?

So I have completed all the single player campaigns and am just massively disappointed at the total lack of an explanation for WHY Mengsk abandoned Kerrigan at New Gettysburg. I was really hoping in SC2 we might get more insight from either Raynor or Mengsk as to why it happened, but no such luck.

I mean, there are a few quasi-viable POSSIBLE explanations that I can speculate on my own. But player speculation aside, no in-game character ever really gives an explanation.....ever.

Like, for a decision which is so paramount to the story, and impacts so many characters in such a big way, I would like to know WHY it happened. Otherwise, it's just a random, meaningless event just thrown into the story to FORCE other plot lines into existence. Which is just bad storytelling.

Kerrigan was Mengsk's right hand, and although she did dissent, she never disobeyed. She was just following orders, and it doesn't cost anything to go down and pick her up or provide evac. It would not have endangered Mengsk any more than it did for him to evacuate Raynor on Mar Sara.

Unless Mengsk sent her down there ahead of time with the PLAN of abandoning her. But....what for??? And surely Mengsk KNEW that abandoning Kerrigan would piss off Raynor. He could not have been oblivious to the fact that the two were close and agreed most of the time. So, if he was planning ahead of time to get rid of Kerrigan, why wouldn't he have gotten rid of Raynor at the same time??? If it was all pre-planned why not send them both down?

Anyways, yes, generally I like the StarCraft story. For it's time it was one of the best stories in a video game ever. StarCraft 2 doesn't quite meet that same standard, but it's not bad. But for all the stories strengths, the Mengsk/Kerrigan thing is still just an unacceptable gaping hole to me which I hope Blizzard solves at point.

Or maybe one of you out there knows? What do you think? What PLAUSIBLE reason do you guys have for Mengsk abandoning Kerrigan?
Edited by Valkar on 8/11/2011 12:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Cuz Sarah killed his parents, she was a threat to his domination over the Confederacy and he doesn't care about anyone but himself.
Reply Quote
Well I don't see how she was a threat. She was extremely obedient and a useful asset. Mengsk is selfish, but he also likes assets. No reason to throw such a resource away like that. And again, if he was PLANNING to get rid of her, why not do the same to Raynor?

And when did they say that Sarah killed his parents???
Edited by Valkar on 8/11/2011 12:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Looking for an explanation for anything in Starcraft II is like tuning a Radio on the Moon; sure, you might pick up static that sounds interesting, but you're never going to get anything actually decent.
Reply Quote
"Decapitated? What are you talking about?
You heard me. They cut his damn head off, Arcturus! And we can't find it! The sick bastards took it with them!"
- Arcturus Mengsk and Achton Feld in light of Kerrigan's assassination of Angus Mengsk(src)

Kerrigan in a hostile environment suit.
Added by PsiSeveredHead
Kerrigan was designated Ghost No. 24601[3] (often simply Ghost No. 24)[9] following the successful completion of training. As a Confederate agent she murdered many of the Confederacy's enemies, including Angus Mengsk.[4]

Angus Mengsk is his father.
Reply Quote
Mengsk ordered Kerrigan to protect the primary zerg hive from the protoss Expeditionary Force, allowing the zerg to complete the Confederacy's destruction. Raynor was getting increasingly uncomfortable with Mengsk's leadership and motivations, but was unable to convince Kerrigan to allow him to accompany her.[22] Kerrigan completed her mission but was in turn overrun by the zerg. Mengsk callously refused to assist Kerrigan's troops; instead, the rebel fleet disengaged from the Tarsonian system.[22] Mengsk did so due to her lack of political reliability and because he wanted long-due vengeance.
Reply Quote
Where is that stuff about the father being decapitated from? A book or something? I don't remember it in game at all.
Edited by Valkar on 8/11/2011 12:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Read more Starcraft Lore. Talks about how humans ended up so far away from earth, first encounters with zerg and protoss, how Mengsk came to be...All that good stuff.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft_universe
Reply Quote
i'll have to catch up on that. I'm mostly only familiar with In-Game lore. But yes, what you've talked about so far sounds interesting.
Edited by Valkar on 8/11/2011 1:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, that's the struggle I have with lore and the story...

There are a quite a bit of books & comics occurring outside of the game that create little filler sections to the story... I've read "official" statements saying that Blizzard tries to whorl very tightly with those fillers so nobody is out there re-righting the story. I've also read that Blizz is trying to thread all of these parts together to create a more cohesive, universal story for everybody. I've had to dig rurally deep to find answers to questions I've had about events in the story.

I usually prefer to stick with the in-game lore, myself. ツ
Reply Quote
Yeah. If you take the lore of all the things that happened in the SC universe...It's huge. It could be a novel of at least 1000 pages. They have a lot of stories, a lot of interesting plots...It would take me a good week of constant reading to catch up on everything and figure out what is going on.
Reply Quote
08/11/2011 11:56 AMPosted by Xombie
It would take me a good week of constant reading

Or longer!

Reply Quote
Yes, but being as it so heavily impacts Starcraft II's plotline - to such a degree Blizzard paid for a very lavish cutscene showing Kerrigan's fall at New Gettysburg - that it should have been explained to the audience, being it's been some 11 years since that particular story element was first played out.

Starcraft II didn't explain it - leaving the OP with questions. It's story telling 101.
Reply Quote
08/11/2011 08:22 PMPosted by StratosTygo
SC2 didn't need to explain it

Then why did they show the fall of Kerrigan, again?

how is it blizzards fault that you started playing a sequel without playing the original game (SCI is still in stores BTW)

Refer to the below response:

that event heavily impacts the entire StarCraft universe.

Which is why they should have explained it. It gives Mengsk some much needed depth; without, he's simply a one dimension bastards.
Reply Quote
She objected to using psi emitters, which he took as a risk that she could shake off her Ghost conditioning and question his authority.
Reply Quote
Yes, but being as it so heavily impacts Starcraft II's plotline - to such a degree Blizzard paid for a very lavish cutscene showing Kerrigan's fall at New Gettysburg - that it should have been explained to the audience, being it's been some 11 years since that particular story element was first played out.

Starcraft II didn't explain it - leaving the OP with questions. It's story telling 101.

SC2 didn't need to explain it how is it blizzards fault that you started playing a sequel without playing the original game (SCI is still in stores BTW)

that event heavily impacts the entire StarCraft universe.

To be fair, they don't really explain why it happens in SC1 either. Any possible explanation really has to come from player speculation.

Although, I have to admit, I'm fairly satisfied with the explanations provided in the out of game lore. It makes Mengsk a much more dynamic character. I hope they find the time to bring some of that lore in-game. So far the stories and characters in SC2 seem pretty static and one dimensional. The lore could really help with that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]