StarCraft® II

SkillCraft.ca: A SC2 Expertise Study

We are researchers at the Cognitive Science Lab (Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada) and are conducting a large-scale study on the development of expertise in StarCraft 2. We believe that the analysis of StarCraft 2 performance has the potential to be very valuable to researchers studying attention, learning, and cognition. Our initial project involves using replay files and survey questions to characterize differences across all skill levels, from bronze to professional. With the community’s support, it could be the largest expertise study ever conducted and may eventually generate positive press coverage for e-Sports and the SC2 community.

Our biggest challenge at this point will be to get a wide variety of players to participate, and to get a lot of them. The size of the study will be one of the big selling points with the academic community so more is definitely better. There are 2 simple ways you can help.

1. Complete the survey, and upload a replay file yourself.
2. Encourage players you know to participate, especially newer players who might not be active in the online community.

If we can get 20,000 players across the full range of skill levels to participate, it will be, by several orders of magnitude, the largest expertise study ever conducted in any domain; bigger than any study on traditional games such as chess, or any sport expertise studies.

We hope that you find our project as exciting and interesting as we do. Your willingness to participate and promote our project is much appreciated.

Please visit http://skillcraft.ca to participate and to get further information.
Edited by jjthomps on 8/12/2011 2:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yay science!
Reply Quote
Done. Good luck on the study.

For anyone interested, the survey took me about 5 minutes to complete it was very user friendly.
Edited by Vindicare on 8/12/2011 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Quick and easy!
Reply Quote
Done. Super easy. Super cool.
GL HF
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
Science! Because knowledge is power!

Instructions are super simple and easy only takes a few minutes :)
Reply Quote
done and cool
Reply Quote
Sounds awesome! I would re-post this periodically so people continue to see it and do it.
Reply Quote
thanks! will do.
Reply Quote
Sounds good ;D
Will do.
Reply Quote
You should probably post this on the TL forum, to.

Any ways, yeah, the survey was pretty easy and fast. I would definitively advice it.
Edited by fireandice on 8/12/2011 5:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just submitted mine and subscribed to the mailing list :)
Reply Quote
Damnit, I messed up calculating my hours and didn't realize until after I'd submitted it. Oh well, one piece of incorrect data probably won't wreck the entire thing. If it does, well...I'M SORRY!
Reply Quote
I went through the whole process, then stopped when I saw that I had to upload a replay.

I don't play 1v1s. Not anymore. And I don't have a replay from when I played 1v1s. So you won't get any data from me because of that.

Making the replay upload optional would have been great, you know.
Reply Quote
Gonna have to actually play a ladder game first I guess :/
Reply Quote
Never mind
Edited by Moldy on 8/13/2011 10:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Pretty sure they are legit.

Here are SFU based links to their lab:

http://cslab.psyc.sfu.ca/skillcraft-information-access-strategies/
http://cslab.psyc.sfu.ca/

There's a reddit post with like 600 up votes, and they are on WellPlayed.com's community spotlight.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]