StarCraft® II

Script Size Limit (both of them)

I've run into two script size limits.

1. The first one I ran into is the MapScript.galaxy file size limit. Apparently, if the uncompressed MapScript.galaxy is over 2 MiB, then the map will not load its triggers. I don't think it even gives an error in-game. I solved this one by having a program written that squishes the file down as much as possible by deleting spaces, tabs, comments, line breaks, renaming variables and functions, etc.

2. Then a while later, I ran into a different one, which is apparently the compiled script or the script + global variables. The MapScript.galaxy is under 1 MiB at this point, and my entire script is as optimized as I can reasonably expect to make it, with every global variable using the smallest index sizes possible. However, at the start of the game, I get the Script Failed to Load: Size too Large error (paraphrased because I don't remember the exact words).

There is no way for me to further optimize Mafia, as I've already run into and solved the previous limit and have nothing left to trim down in terms of script size. At this point, development has to cease because there is nothing I can do; the script limit is reached.

This limit severely harms the chances of good premium maps or custom maps in general, since if even Mafia reaches the limit, who knows how many projects will be killed by this issue.

So I ask Blizzard: Will you raise this script limit?
Reply Quote
hmmm, my uncompressed triggers are 6.63MB. Script file looks to be about 16k lines, but I just use the Trigger editor instead of galaxy coding.
Reply Quote
Look at your MapScript.galaxy in the map archive. That's what the game actually uses.
Reply Quote
only 689 KB :P. Hmmm, you shouldn't need that much space for mafia. Are you sure you don't have lots of copy/paste?
Reply Quote
Mafia is a very large map. Every single role has to have its own rules, exceptions, handling, dialog scheme, etc. There are tons of rules, systems, specifications, features, interface elements, etc. Copy/paste only accounts for a very small part of the map. Mafia is not like other maps; it's basically like a game coded from scratch in terms of what it has to do with the gameplay. There is no other working map on battle.net with more code, and that's a fact.

(I know this because without a unique and unreleased third party code-squisher program my friend made, Mafia would have hit the limit a month ago, hence the two separate limits I have found and outlined in the OP.)

Think of all the other maps on page 1. Most of the work on those maps is done in the data editor. By Mafia's very nature, I almost never touch the data editor. All that work, effort, and customization most mappers invest in the data editor I invested in the map script, and that's why it's so large.
Edited by DarkRevenant on 8/22/2011 10:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Okay, I'll take your word for it bro :]

Hope you get that resolved.
Reply Quote
Damn man.

That sucks bad. We need blizzard to increase it. The map editor also has a thousand other problems.

Maybe they'll finally come around and fix it...
Reply Quote
I kind of have to agree with you on the increasing the script size. What harm would it do to blizzard? If blizzard wants to make more MONEY, then better content will do this for them in the long run. People can customize their maps more freely with more scripting allowed, and thus when they implement the ability to sell user content, more $. End.
Reply Quote
Funny how sc2 has such a laughably low script limit, when sc1 supports an essentially unlimited number of triggers.
Reply Quote
Warcraft 3's Script limit is so high.
Reply Quote
Fix this. NOW.
Reply Quote
There are things I could do in the warcraft 3 eitor that I cannot do in the Starcraft 2 editor (actually not true...)

Actually, this is very true. There is no simple way to add and remove abilities dynamically from a unit. I've run into other limitations with Galaxy Edit that I did not have in World Edit, but this one is probably the most commonly cited complaint I've heard.
Reply Quote
I requested a sticky for this, as I think it needs attention and I would love to see the increase happen. Mafia to me is the best custom map on SC2 right now, and if we've reached the limit on that then every other custom map can only be downhill for me. The potential is there, why the limitation? Is this as best as custom maps will ever get?

I hope it doesn't end up that way and that Blizzard raises the limit.
Reply Quote
I also requested a sticky on this. A limit on the size of maps in general limits what all can happen to a map that recieves as an extensive amount of work as Mafia has. Hopefully Blizzard will take a look at this and give an explanination on the size limit, and any possible changes we can expect in the future.

We await the Blue.
Reply Quote
I also requested a sticky on this. A limit on the size of maps in general limits what all can happen to a map that recieves as an extensive amount of work as Mafia has. Hopefully Blizzard will take a look at this and give an explanination on the size limit, and any possible changes we can expect in the future.

We await the Blue.

Don't hold your breath for a blue. Just take a look at this post:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3053676102?page=3#54

Starcraft isn't about the custom maps for Blizzard, it's about the eSports and the money they can make off tournaments (Blizzard takes 50% of ad revenues of tournaments with over $5000 in prize money, in case you've ever wondered).

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=247210
Reply Quote
I know that all too well. Even with that said, it's better to try and think they'll pay attention, than assume they do not care. I'm sure somewhere admist all the Esports and the promotions they do, they put attention to those who play the game just for the custom maps.
Reply Quote
Blizzard....Fix this.....NAOW!!!!!
Reply Quote
Get it done Blizzard.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]