StarCraft® II

Starcraft: Ghost: Spectres

Anyone gonna buy and read, collect, burn?
Continue Nova's story!
Reply Quote
Ok this book was terrible. I got it a few days ago, took me a bit to force myself to read it.

Where to begin?

Ok first, Nova can apparently make 'mind blasts' that can compete with nukes in explosive power. That's just stupid.

Second her reaction time and sight is so good that she can move bullets an inch or two in flight to make them hit perfectly every time.

Ok HOW THE F%&*% CAN YOU SEE THE BULLET TO kNOW IT'S AN INCH OFF? Why didn't you just aim straight on in the first place? How is she able to dodge bullets? Like does being able to read people's mind make her reaction time around a million times faster then the average person?

Why is a 130 lb chick in no battle armor beating up massive steroid using marines in combat armor that increases their strength? It's just dumb.

She's using a hand gun to kill them while they're in full armor. Why wear the damn armor?

And what's up with a guy floating around in a computer system? He somehow melded into computers leaving his body behind...sorry that's really dumb.

The physics of the book make no sense, the author tried to make Nova too bada$$ (she was cool when she was just a really strong ghost) by making her dodge bullets like Neo in the matrix, rip open massive blasts doors and giving her the ability to make 'mind nukes' just went too far.

And apparently she is about equal to protoss mental powers. I've read all the SC books and in none of the books do protoss even come close to the power of Nova, but if they're so powerfully with their minds, why aren't they 'mind nuking' Auir to take it back?

I mean Nova pretty much wiped out a hive's worth of zerg on her own in that book, so I figure what like 10 protoss could beat the ever living snot out of the ENTIRE zerg race if they're stronger then her and more numerous.

Overall the prose was good, but the physics and world of it just made no sense. The author struggled way to hard to make her seem like this unstoppable force and it just seemed too forced.

The military descions that the marines made in that book made no sense, he has no idea about actual covert ops tactics, he made Tosh look like a idiot on crack with his military descions, and made Nova look like some form of super woman.

Overall I give the book a 3/10. It took me like 3-4 days to force myself to read it. I read most of it at work and there were times when I'd rather look blankly at a wall then read that book, it was that bad. The 3 that it did get was only b/c it's a SC book and I liked the universe and a few bits of dialogue and action here and there. Once Nova started fighting tho I just really started losing interest because it was so dumb.

Example: 'Nova felt her rage go up and knew that the 12 marines outside her cell were on alert and ready for action. She jumped out, dodged a billion bullets used mind bullets to kill the marines, told one to go to hell WITH HER MIND INSIDE HIS MIND, without breaking a sweat and pummeling a few of them to death with her bare hands. Agility wins over strength even though they're in massive combat armor. And her bullets from her pistol were so strong they broke through the toughest terran armor, why, b/c Nova shot the handgun.'

Yeah seriously it's that bad.
Edited by SFHFWill on 10/2/2011 4:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/02/2011 04:31 PMPosted by SFHFWill
Ok first, Nova can apparently make 'mind blasts' that can compete with nukes in explosive power. That's just stupid.

She has always had this power, if you ever bothered to read the first book. I think Kerrigan has the same ability. It wasn't a "nuke" either and it severely weakens her every time she uses it. .

he made Tosh look like a idiot on crack with his military descions

Where? Tosh wanted to recruit people using none force. There's nothing idiotic about that.

And apparently she is about equal to protoss mental powers.

Where did it say that? Stop making !@#$ up.

Don't listen to the guy above me. Apparently, he has never read any of the previous Ghost books since he's so confused about the psionic powers of Nova.

Anyways, I'm about half way through the book and it isn't exactly horrid, but it isn't great either. It's about what you expect out of a novel based on a game. The story isn't very broad in scope and doesn't really mention anything about the Queen of Blades or Raynors Rebel. It is 100% focused Project Shadowblade and its origins.
Edited by Praetorian on 10/4/2011 12:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm quite satisfied with it so far. Nova isn't exactly a superwoman when I read it. Without the memory wipe, she feels so weak with all the emotions. I wonder if she'll ever be released from her past.
Reply Quote
I read the first book about nova's background with the terra family murders and stuff, and i'm honestly disappointed. I wouldnt recommend it, unless you've read all the other sc books, and you still want more.
Reply Quote
10/04/2011 08:35 AMPosted by Praetorian

She has always had this power, if you ever bothered to read the first book. I think Kerrigan has the same ability. It wasn't a "nuke" either and it severely weakens her every time she uses it. .

he made Tosh look like a idiot on crack with his military descions

Where? Tosh wanted to recruit people using none force. There's nothing idiotic about that.

And apparently she is about equal to protoss mental powers.

Where did it say that? Stop making !@#$ up.

Don't listen to the guy above me. Apparently, he has never read any of the previous Ghost books since he's so confused about the psionic powers of Nova.

Anyways, I'm about half way through the book and it isn't exactly horrid, but it isn't great either. It's about what you expect out of a novel based on a game. The story isn't very broad in scope and doesn't really mention anything about the Queen of Blades or Raynors Rebel. It is 100% focused Project Shadowblade and its origins.
Actually everything FSHFWILL said was just about right. Btw the book does mention several times that Nova is close to protoss levels and would be if she had undergone terrazine therapy, in fact, it goes on to further say that the only one stronger than her would be Infested Kerrigan, who in the game is apparently psionically strong enough to break into zeratul's mind which is a hell of a feat.

Overall the book was garbage, and so is the whole concept behind Nova. I bought this book hoping it'd be more about Tosh and the spectres, but it didn't touch on him as much as I'd hoped or even portrayed him on the same level the game did. I hated Nova before I read the book, but now after reading the book i think blizzard should do everyone a favour and just kill the poorly constructed character out in sc2. That scene that was quoted was pretty much what happened, Nova walks out of a vault by thinking the 12 inch thick titanium door out of existence and mind *%!!s everyone without breaking a sweat.

I dont care if the book fits with previous novels of this brainlessly created character, all I care is that I've been an SC fan since 1998 and Nova does not fit in the SC universe, and neither does her 'I can *%!! an army with a thought' concept. The fact that Nova can literally nuke entire armies away with her mind supersedes any other character in the entire game including kerrigan. Also, bullet 'tweeking' LMAO, DUMBEST THING I'VE EVER READ. If some dumb blond can think an on-comming 1200km/hr bullet out of the way, why the hell have the protoss struggled to defeat the terrans on several occasions when their psionic abilities are SUPPOSED TO BE higher than Nova's (at least when the author feels like it, but hey, who said the SC universe ever needed consistency).

In all, I also had to force myself to read it, after all, I paid $10 for the book and still feel ripped off... anways, I'm never buying another SC book again, the imagination and mental capacity of the authors are at the level of an 8 year old who just watched the matrix for the first time ever.

Rating: 2/10
Reply Quote
I would read it, but if they ever release Starcraft: Ghost("indefinitely postponed"), I wouldn't have to.
Edited by UltraNoob on 3/31/2012 12:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I bought this book hoping it'd be more about Tosh and the spectres but it didn't touch on him as much as I'd hoped

That's your own fault for being doped like an idiot. The Starcraft Ghost universe has always been about Nova.

03/30/2012 11:22 PMPosted by RedRevlushon
That scene that was quoted was pretty much what happened, Nova walks out of a vault by thinking the 12 inch thick titanium door out of existence and mind *%!!s everyone without breaking a sweat.

Without breaking a sweat? It nearly killed her.

Nova does not fit in the SC universe, and neither does her 'I can *%!! an army with a thought' concept. The fact that Nova can literally nuke entire armies away with her mind supersedes any other character in the entire game including kerrigan.

Is it really any less believable than Kerrigan taking control of an entire alien species with her mind? Or any less believable when Kerrigan destroyed an entire army of siege tanks with her mind?

Authors of Starcraft have always bended the rules of the Starcraft universe for character development. The whole point of the scene was to show how dangerous Nova is to not only herself but to other people.

Also, bullet 'tweeking' LMAO, DUMBEST THING I'VE EVER READ.

I agree, the bullet tweeking was a little over the top.
Edited by Praetorian on 4/1/2012 7:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1. Ok first, Nova can apparently make 'mind blasts' that can compete with nukes in explosive power. That's just stupid.

2. Second her reaction time and sight is so good that she can move bullets an inch or two in flight to make them hit perfectly every time.
Ok HOW THE F%&*% CAN YOU SEE THE BULLET TO kNOW IT'S AN INCH OFF? Why didn't you just aim straight on in the first place? How is she able to dodge bullets? Like does being able to read people's mind make her reaction time around a million times faster then the average person?

3. Why is a 130 lb chick in no battle armor beating up massive steroid using marines in combat armor that increases their strength? It's just dumb.

4. She's using a hand gun to kill them while they're in full armor. Why wear the damn armor?

5. And what's up with a guy floating around in a computer system? He somehow melded into computers leaving his body behind...sorry that's really dumb.

6. The physics of the book make no sense, the author tried to make Nova too bada$$ (she was cool when she was just a really strong ghost) by making her dodge bullets like Neo in the matrix, rip open massive blasts doors and giving her the ability to make 'mind nukes' just went too far.

7. And apparently she is about equal to protoss mental powers. I've read all the SC books and in none of the books do protoss even come close to the power of Nova, but if they're so powerfully with their minds, why aren't they 'mind nuking' Auir to take it back?

1. They didn't compete with nukes. They had a decent spread, but they didn't hit over several square miles. She is also the most powerful ghost in the Dominion (and it still drained her badly enough to make her lose consciousness), so this could be explainable, if they defined the size of the blast precisely. She was also under the influence of terrazine when she did the blast on Altara, and terrazine boosts psionic powers even further.
2. This is theoretically possible, but yes, it could have been done better (simply have pinpoint accuracy in the first place), so I agree with you on the bullet tweaking. Bullet dodging, though.....that is quite doable, if you can read surface thoughts and react to them quickly enough. That would effectively be a boost to your reflexes, if you trained properly (which of course she did).
3. Ghost armor enhances physical strength as well, and telekinetic powers allow a Ghost to effectively ignore the opponent's weight and armor (telekinesis does the same damage, regardless of what material you're using it on, so it takes the same amount of effort to snap a wooden plank as a metal bar of the same thickness; read the first Ghost book for that, perhaps page 70 or 80).
4. She was probably using a canister rifle (picture a sniper rifle with much larger bullets). If she was actually using a handgun........the visors aren't particularly tough, so precise shots could probably shatter the visor and kill the marine inside.
5. This is just something used for story purposes. I don't think it has any noticeable basis in reality.
6. Reread points #2 and #3.
7. Actually, Protoss normally have far more psionic power than Ghosts do (Nova could be an exception, but that is never specified), which makes the point about Protoss psi-nukes all the more paradoxical. They were capable of psionic storms, which could rip apart quite a few minds, but they should have been capable of much greater feats (and where are their telekinetic abilities,anyways?).
Reply Quote
I have read it, it was a awsome book. I read the graphic novels before, but never the original book called starcraft: ghost. I have also read the 2 sc2 books involving jim raynor, I loved those 2 books as well as this one. I bought specters for nova and it has alot of kick !@# nova, hopefully she will eventually move past her emotional issues and play for the good guys.
Reply Quote
I have read it, it was a awsome book. I read the graphic novels before, but never the original book called starcraft: ghost. I have also read the 2 sc2 books involving jim raynor, I loved those 2 books as well as this one. I bought specters for nova and it has alot of kick !@# nova, hopefully she will eventually move past her emotional issues and play for the good guys.

It's a great book, it showed there's still heart in Nova despite being twisted to become a ghost.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]