StarCraft® II

DUNE

Read it if you're looking for one of the best sci fi novels out there. That is Frank Jerberts 1965 DUNE. <br/>I also read Paul of Dune which was written by his son and was published in 2008.<br/>Next time I get a chance im gonna read Dune Messiah.
Reply Quote
Read it if you're looking for one of the best sci fi novels out there. That is Frank Jerberts 1965 DUNE. <br/>I also read Paul of Dune which was written by his son and was published in 2008.<br/>Next time I get a chance im gonna read Dune Messiah.

Think you mean Frank Herbert but ya awesome book
Reply Quote
Dune Messiah is good, but I'd say Children of Dune is superior. Also God Emperor of Dune is just crazy in its awesomeness.
On a side note the original Dune and its sequel Children of Dune (both Dune Messiah and Children of Dune) were both incredible mini-series.
Reply Quote
Dune was excellent. Dune Messiah was...really unimpressive. Paul doesn't seem to do anything but mope around and whine about how his visions are such a plague blah blah blah. Then you've got the weird reappearance of Idaho, lackluster antagonists, and other bad things I can't remember. I started reading Children of Dune, but I can't really get into it.
Reply Quote
09/25/2011 07:47 AMPosted by Chrono
Dune was excellent. Dune Messiah was...really unimpressive. Paul doesn't seem to do anything but mope around and whine about how his visions are such a plague blah blah blah. Then you've got the weird reappearance of Idaho, lackluster antagonists, and other bad things I can't remember. I started reading Children of Dune, but I can't really get into it.

Same here. Loved Dune to death, it's truly one of the great masterpieces of the 20th century, if not the definitive sci-fi novel. Dune Messiah.... I honestly don't remember much of it. lol
Reply Quote
Im reading dune messiah atm... Dune was amazing but nothing is really done in Messiah...
Reply Quote
I've read most of the Dune books, including the House trilogy and Butlerian Jihad trilogies. The original plot was the dangers of religion. It later expands to a battle for human survival which spans twelve millenia.

Most of the Dune books end with something terrible threatening the future. In the first book, Paul Attreides was a sympathetic protagonist with psychic powers who ends up seizing tyrannical power. After he fell, his son sacrifices his physical humanity to become a nearly immortal emperor who oppresses humanity for centuries. Starting with the fourth book, Duncan Idaho was cloned to become the protagonist. He overthrew Leto II, and he's brought back to deal with the resulting chaos in books five and six: Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune.

Frank Herbert died after finishing Chapterhouse Dune, so his son Brian had to continue the series based on Frank's notes. He started it by writing two preequel triologies which set the stage for the Dune Universe.

The Butlerian Jihad was the war between humans and thinking machines, that humanity barely wins, and at the cost of billions of lives and several hundred worlds. It featured the Genesis of the Bene Geserit and Spacing Guild and the feud between Attreides and Harkonnen. There were contradictions with history given in the Dune Encyclopedia, but Brian made the 'retcons' work.

The House Trilogy is about Duke Leto, and why Emperor Shaddam would stoop to a dubious secret pact with the despicable House Harkonnen in order to destroy him. Shaddam had earlier made an even riskier secret pact with the Tlexiu to create a melange subsitute. Said plan involved the invasion of Ix and nearly destroyed the Spacing Guild.

Brian then resumes the tale of Duncan Idaho in Hunters of Dune. It begins with Duncan Idaho and his shipload of refuges seeking a new home, while a mysterious enemy threatens humanity. They resort to making clones of Paul Attreidies, Leto the Tyrant and others. The book ends with the enemy launching an armada to destroy humanity.

The series concludes with Sandworms of Dune. The human factions of the core worlds unite to battle the armada, but their enemy has spent millenia perfecting his plan. The only hopes for humanity are Duncan Idaho's band and some unexpected allies.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]