StarCraft® II

Paid Name Changes Update and Clarification

(Locked)

Community Manager
Recently, some inaccurate information was shared with the community in regard to the future of a paid name change service, so we wanted to take some time to clarify our current stance on the implementation of this feature. Our original plans to implement a paid name change service have not changed, and it is indeed something that we would like to make available as soon as possible. As with any feature, however, it remains a matter of scheduling it among our other development projects before it can be introduced. We’re not able to give a specific timeframe yet, but we are targeting work to begin late this year or early next year. We’ll share release plans once we’re further along in the process.

As always, your ongoing constructive feedback is appreciated.
Is it possible to transfer them to a friend?
MVP - Technical Support
Good to hear :)
Edited by Archer on 9/21/2011 9:50 AM PDT
what about clan support? as this is one of the big reasons name changes are wanted atm..
Schedule for now instead of later? just a suggestion...
Thank you for the response!
09/21/2011 09:04 AMPosted by Zarhym
As with any feature, however, it remains a matter of scheduling it among our other development projects before it can be introduced. We’re not able to give a specific timeframe yet, but we are targeting work to begin late this year or early next year. We’ll share release plans once we’re further along in the process.

Clan Support!

lol paid name change
Why do they always put stuff like this on the back burner? It has been supposed to come out "soon" for over a year now.
Targeting work to begin late this year or early next? On top of things Blizzard is not. :P

Thanks for finally giving us a post though.
It's great getting a response from Blizzard and all, but I'm failing here to see why this can't be implemented any sooner. I don't understand why a simple "buy this $10" on a service that's already there needs to be put on the back burner until the end of the year or the beginning of next year. There are two MLG's and several other events that occur until then, and various players that won't be able to represent their teams properly at the event because the feature isn't implemented.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but I thought that the 80+ pages on that thread in one week would at the very least prove without a doubt that SCII players want this now, not later.

If there's some other factor I'm not accounting for when I basically call it "adding a simple buy button" and there's logical reasoning for this being pushed off for another few months, please feel free to correct me. It just seems to me (and from what it looks like, all of the other 1600 posts in that thread that agree) that this is a feature that could probably be added by a lone coder in a single day. I don't understand why it needs to be put on a waiting list.
This is stupid what about the high level players! or the ppl with lets persay a collectors edition. like im going to mlg orlando and would LOVE to have my name done by then but yet bnet fails once again
I'm very glad to hear this though I feel the issue should have dealt with sooner (around the time of the initial announcement for forced "Real-ID" usage which resulted in the nickname & character code setup). I was under the impression that the change in the nickname system of adding the character code was designed for the setup of paid name changes (due to one nickname per battle.net account and allowing names to be used by multiple accounts).

While I am disappointed work on the system will not start until late 2011 or early 2012 I am more concerned with the lack of any information regarding clan support.
09/21/2011 10:09 AMPosted by SamirLugel
Clan Support!

We know that there will be clan support on Battle.net 2.0, we just don't know when or how, ;).
DMsev is absolutely right. You claim that your plans haven't changed and that you'd like to make this available as soon as possible, but it's obvious that that is NOT the case. Otherwise, you wouldn't have waited for an 80+ page thread and well over 12 months just to touch on the issue of implementing a name change service again.

09/21/2011 09:04 AMPosted by Zarhym
As always, your ongoing constructive feedback is appreciated.

You really want some constructive feedback? Okay, then take that "development project" schedule of yours or whatever you use and bump "Name Change Service" to the top of that list. Because it's clear from this thread here (http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3123318915) that name changes are a top priority for thousands of players, and not just the small minority.

Like DMsev said... if there's a legitimate reason for delaying this feature, or it actually SOMEHOW involves more than just "typing in some code" to implement the name change system that already exists in the game (through free name changes), then fine. But if you're merely delaying this feature to coincide with Heart of the Swarm or something like that, then I say you're being incredibly unfair.

We appreciate all the hard work you do, Blizzard. But if you seriously think that name changes aren't a serious enough priority to start working on until the end of this early or early next year, then your prerogatives are really screwed up. Why not just resolve this issue NOW and implement the service TODAY so that your customers can be satisfied WHILE you continue work on all those other "more important" projects?!
I want Diablo III before name change. Thank you for finally commenting on this Blizzard and letting us know what the deal is.
09/21/2011 12:10 PMPosted by DnRBigJoe
I want Diablo III before name change. Thank you for finally commenting on this Blizzard and letting us know what the deal is.

Implying adding a name change feature coincides with the development and testing of Diablo III.
09/21/2011 12:14 PMPosted by DMsev

Implying adding a name change feature coincides with the development and testing of Diablo III.

Yeaaaah... not sure that's the case, lol.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]