StarCraft® II

StarCraft Art of War - Immortals

Community Manager
Are you a veteran player? Are you new to StarCraft II and striving to improve your skills? In this weekly feature, we invite players of all skill levels to ask questions, share their tactics, post replays, and provide advice for understanding and defeating today’s most popular units or strategies.

This week, we’re analyzing: Patch 1.4 Immortal Changes.

When playing as protoss, how have these changes affected your match-ups, your build orders and your unit compositions? When playing against protoss, how have you adapted your play?

Art of War Rules:

• Stick to the rules. All posts should abide by the forum code of conduct and the Art of War guidelines. Feel free to disagree with each other, but please do so respectfully. When you express opposing opinions, focus on the idea, not its author, their record, or perceived skill level.

• Be constructive. The purpose of this thread is to share effective tactics and strategies; to adapt, overcome and become a better player. Claiming that a unit or strategy is overpowered isn’t conducive to learning better play and tends to just derail the discussion.

• No soapboxes, please. This thread is for the community to discuss strategies and tactics amongst themselves, not to push individual opinions about game balance or design.

• Please limit conjecture. Theorycrafting definitely has its place, but it’s best to keep the discussion focused, on-topic and practical.

• Important: Please provide explanations and be prepared to provide evidence. These threads exist to elevate the level of strategic discussion on the forums. When appropriate, please provide replays illustrating tactics or techniques you believe to be effective. When using videos or replays please post time stamps to help direct people to the specific points in the action to which you’re referring.

• Ask questions! These threads aren’t just for experienced players, but also players who are learning the ropes or want to improve their skills.
Edited by Daxxarri on 9/23/2011 7:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
They are greatly improved. I'm more inclined to build more then 1-2 for the whole game now. Ironically they probably help in PVP the most...lol. That's mostly due to the fact that immortal/colossus pretty much wrecks anything on the ground, and protoss is usually less inclined to switch to air units.

I'd say it's like this...

pre-1.4 Colossus did all the damage, stalkers were meat shields and aa

post-1.4 Colossus handles low hp units, immortals do the real damage...hope the enemy doesn't get air
Edited by Nyvin on 9/23/2011 7:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As a Zerg player, I can now use Hydras a bit more since Immortal usage means less (or no) Colossi. I think that Roach/Hydra/Ling vs Stalker/Immortal is actually quite fun!

Edit: If any Master Protoss players are doing wonky Immortal timings, I'd like to see the replays..... so I can learn to crush it ;-)
Edited by Xanadu on 9/23/2011 7:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Immortals still beat hydras at even food counts. Lings, mutalisks and broods counter immortals, not hydras.
Reply Quote
Immortals are really useful now, I really like making them.
Reply Quote
love there immortals
Reply Quote
Is it viable now to use stalker/immortal/ht ball?
Reply Quote
A lot of mid diamond high plat players love to 2 gate and 3 gate robo more and more. It has forced me to get more marines to fight off the immortals. It also means with the emphasis on robo I can't do any tricks like 4 port since an immortal will always be pushing my front if I do. with the range they are a lot better against marauders since I can't just use my marines to make space anymore.
Edited by Mike on 9/23/2011 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
man massing vrs are awsome
Reply Quote
09/23/2011 07:06 PMPosted by Xanthus
Immortals still beat hydras at even food counts. Lings, mutalisks and broods counter immortals, not hydras.

I don't know about this...

Hydras aren't armoured and the Immortal's Hardened Shields take almost the full damage of each of the Hydras attacks. I'm fairly certain that Hydras are cost effective vs Immortals, and Ling/Hydra would be a great response against any sort of Immortal timing off of 2 base.
Reply Quote
It's really nice to have them not dancing around behind the stalkers, trying to get into firing position. It has helped my a lot in dealing with small numbers of colossi and gateway heavy builds. apart from PvP, the extra range makes it so they are not kited as easily by mmm because they have the same range as marauders.
Reply Quote
Are you a veteran player? Are you new to StarCraft II and striving to improve your skills? In this weekly feature, we invite players of all skill levels to ask questions, share their tactics, post replays, and provide advice for understanding and defeating today’s most popular units or strategies.

This week, we’re analyzing: Patch 1.4 Immortal Changes.

When playing as protoss, how have these changes affected your match-ups, your build orders and your unit compositions? When playing against protoss, how have you adapted your play?

Art of War Rules:

• Stick to the rules. All posts should abide by the forum code of conduct and the Art of War guidelines. Feel free to disagree with each other, but please do so respectfully. When you express opposing opinions, focus on the idea, not its author, their record, or perceived skill level.

• Be constructive. The purpose of this thread is to share effective tactics and strategies; to adapt, overcome and become a better player. Claiming that a unit or strategy is overpowered isn’t conducive to learning better play and tends to just derail the discussion.

• No soapboxes, please. This thread is for the community to discuss strategies and tactics amongst themselves, not to push individual opinions about game balance or design.

• Please limit conjecture. Theorycrafting definitely has its place, but it’s best to keep the discussion focused, on-topic and practical.

• Important: Please provide explanations and be prepared to provide evidence. These threads exist to elevate the level of strategic discussion on the forums. When appropriate, please provide replays illustrating tactics or techniques you believe to be effective. When using videos or replays please post time stamps to help direct people to the specific points in the action in which you’re referring.

• Ask questions! These threads aren’t just for experienced players, but also players who are learning the ropes or want to improve their skills.
Immortals got a lot better in PvP. I see them alot more.
Reply Quote
I have tried to use immortals more but whenever I start getting 3 or more I get so behind on tech and everything else because they are so expensive without giving huge benefits. For now I stick to getting them when I see my opponent is attacking soon since I need units at the moment to hold the attack.

For late game I really just dont ever get to make them because at that point considering the cost I would rather get colossus and the robotics facility will be busy with that and observers most of the time.

The range change is definitely nice especially on small chokes where you cant spread all units around now they can finally attack instead of getting stuck.
Edited by Pieces on 9/23/2011 7:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
immortals beat hydras when the immortals are shooting them, but when there are lings in the way, hydras destroy them. same as it ever was.
Reply Quote
They make PvP a lot more fun(if such a match up being fun is possible) and makes it easier to defend 4 gate stalker rushes.
Reply Quote
Yes, immortals are much more viable in PvP now, they've really given alternatives to the 4 gate for the protoss player who can think ahead. Immortals will walk straight through stalkers, which are usually what most protoss armies boil down to in the lower tier ladders, ie: Bronze League. They also are invaluable when used to harass an early zerg expansion or a marauder push, saved my butt. I'm really digging the new Immortal, and I don't think the changes have really upset most other race's options in attacking. It makes them better players as well, countering with speedlings or with more marines. It evens the odds. I like them.
Reply Quote
pvp has become alot more tolerable, no more dancing immortals in the back of stalkers trying to fire^^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]