I work in paleontology. Ask me things.

For sure. I'll write up my most recent adventure when the report is submitted, complete with pictures and an exciting find!

Kaivax, why don't you get involved in the discussion here? :D
Reply Quote
Question: Your opinion in the Burgess Shale excavation and the Cambrian Explosion.

Ya know, due to the discoveries of the Cambrian Explosion, most people think that it counters the Evolution theory, since so many new animals appeared all of sudden.
Reply Quote
Alberta buddy! Drumheller I'm guessing?

Anyway, what did raptors look like? I heard somewhere they had feathers?
How much schooling does it take to get into paleontology, like how many years?
How do you dig up/find the bones without damaging them? Is there some kind of device you use?
What new species did you discover?
Sorry if any of these were asked already.

Edit: Would I be able to see your findings at the royal tyrell museum?
Edited by IAreLemons on 11/6/2011 2:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Question: Your opinion in the Burgess Shale excavation and the Cambrian Explosion.

Ya know, due to the discoveries of the Cambrian Explosion, most people think that it counters the Evolution theory, since so many new animals appeared all of sudden.

Not "most." Those with any knowledge about how it works understand that IF it was an explosion there would be a massive amount of free niches to move into. It's not really an "all of a sudden" thing. It's not even close to an absolute. In the fossil record, the further back we go the less focus we have. Therefore, getting a glimpse of the cambrian is a real treat and would honestly seem like an explosion. There is life known from before this, namely the Ediacarn biota, but it's not as spectacular as the BS. The BS really is stunning preservation, for any time.

You should try to understand something before being silly. You should also look up what theory means versus hypothesis or even idea, because a 'theories' are something I'm sure you have used. The theory of bacterial infection being one of them. Ever get a vaccine?

Alberta buddy! Drumheller I'm guessing?

Anyway, what did raptors look like? I heard somewhere they had feathers?
How much schooling does it take to get into paleontology, like how many years?
How do you dig up/find the bones without damaging them? Is there some kind of device you use?
What new species did you discover?
Sorry if any of these were asked already.

Edit: Would I be able to see your findings at the royal tyrell museum?

I live in Calgary. I would never live in that !@#$ hole.

Most if not all 'raptors' (Maniraptora) had feathers, I'd think, but not like a flight feather. More like proto feathers and perhaps a few with more complex stuff.

it took me 5 years to get an undergrad and I've been fortunate. If you push it, you need 4 in undergrad and 2 in masters then like 3 in phd. As I said, I've been fortunate and haven't had to get extra letters after my name.

Extracting fossils is situation dependent, mostly it's the same stuff that was used 100 years ago...though we add helicopters for fun sometimes.

The new species doesn't have enough to be named, yet, but it is clear that it's a new species as members close to it haven't been named from this formation and part of the world.
Edited by Ponera on 11/6/2011 11:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
Calgary buddy!

Thanks for answering. Sounds like an awesome job. :)
Reply Quote
Calgary buddy!

Thanks for answering. Sounds like an awesome job. :)

If you are in calgary area, lets get beer. We can wax awesomeness.

11/06/2011 01:04 PMPosted by Astrai
It was a period of intense mutation, for various reasons; and while a great amount of diversification happened in a relatively short time, from the perspective of the time these things usually take, it's important to remember that the 'explosion' still happened over the course of around 80 million years, and despite the speed of mutation which happened during it, the processes in it fit right in with evolutionary theory.

also, incorrect my friend!
Edited by Ponera on 11/6/2011 11:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/06/2011 11:19 PMPosted by Ponera
We can wax awesomeness.

waxing and waning . . . . this phrase confuses me. will you grow largely awesome . . . or . . . anyway is empathy a byproduct of self awareness or is empathy present before self awareness? Or do you think the two are un-related? I'd tell you my thought's but they might color yours. I have discovered that . . . is proper grammar and having been using it wherever I can . . . in order to show . . . a pause in thinking/speaking/typing. Anything interesting happen in your life recently? Buddhism is it a religion? or do we (in the west) merely mis-interpret it as one? Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy have you read it? Meta-cognitive processes are confusing to think about, also to understand, in other words i think about thought and its very inception like. Big words are fun to use. Im listening to law and order (roomate is watching it) while i type, its making it very hard to think I will edit this post later. There were good questions in my head, but law and order corrupted them. The nature of knowledge was the funnest class I ever took in high school, tried to read david hume but he's kinda confusing. Im just babbling at this point but like I said i will edit this later, damn u law and order.
Reply Quote
11/06/2011 11:19 PMPosted by Ponera
If you are in calgary area, lets get beer. We can wax awesomeness.

I don't drink.
Coffee would be good though.
11/07/2011 08:31 AMPosted by Necromaster
Buddhism is it a religion?

Depends. From what I understand, Theravada Buddhism is definitely a religeon, where as Mahayana can encompass a variety of beliefs. Not an expert though.
Reply Quote
I'll add you on bnet, we can discuss things. I don't drink coffee. I propose a joust to see who drinks what.
Reply Quote
i don't think i am get around to editing that earlier post, as for todays question . . . the theory of relativity seems to be a universal thing, and not relative to much of anything, also I'm pretty sure it applies to the whole universe, so why call it relativity? (i think i know the answer but I sorta just reasoned it out in my head, I want to know the real answer)
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
...what he said.
Reply Quote
hmm i always just thought it was refering to how space time is relative to speed. Also star trek question their ships move at like 7 - 9 times the speed of light, but i forget how they did it. I know there was a complicated explanation that involved using the near infinite energy generated by the warp core. Also second question what the hell is in 5 hour energy its insane how much of the stuff im using and I can't find out: how it fights exhaustion, why it works the way it does, or what parts of the brain it affects with which chemicals, etc (though to be fair i have only had about 3 hours looking around on google), seriously I scare myself with how little sleep I get during the week. Of course to compensate when i sleep on the weekends i sleep a lot. Just last saturday i slept 20 hours straight. last, but not least, have you read hitchhikers guide to the galaxy?
Reply Quote
what about star gates? wait nvm wormholes duh. well what about 5 hour energy? Seriously, Im freaking out over this. also Edgar Casey anyone ever heard of him my roomate keeps reading his prophecies.
Reply Quote
11/11/2011 05:49 AMPosted by Astrai
He was a fraud; like everyone else claiming to have psychic powers or anything of the like.

That's a pretty bold statement.
Reply Quote
11/11/2011 06:42 AMPosted by IAreLemons
That's a pretty bold statement.

indeed since just about everything he predicted came true. Also unlike other psychics he almost always mentions times and places, often names of people as well.

Vitamin B3m B6, and B12. Caffeine. Taurine (effectively bile). Glucuronolactone (effectively connective tissue). Phenylalanine (among its many uses, it's used in the production of adrenaline), and a few others.

It's a pretty big scam; there are major questions as to its functioning at all, and in fact may have the opposite effect as advertised.

If you find yourself lacking energy - get a good night's sleep and eat breakfast.

hmmm well mind over matter is certainly possible but I think some1 would have figured out that it doesn't work by now, also do you mind telling me where you found out all that i want to see if i can find out the effect of those individual chemicals have on the brain. also since I only have time to sleep every other day, and im using plenty of the stuff in order to stay awake, breakfast is really the only option.

question of today what is the difference between something that some1 believes and something that they know? actually maybe i will start a different thread with this one, yeah i'm gonna do that.
next question of today what is it about matter that curves space time resulting in the phenomenon of gravity?/ how does matter warp the fabric of space time?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]