StarCraft® II

I work in paleontology. Ask me things.

11/11/2011 08:20 AMPosted by Necromaster
what is the difference between something that some1 believes and something that they know?

I'd say this is entirely dependant on who you ask. For me, something I know is something I have definitive proof for, where as something I believe is something I can't prove but believe anyway for whatever reason, and is subject to change.
Reply Quote
woah fast responses, made the thread 2 late lol
Edited by Necromaster on 11/11/2011 8:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/11/2011 08:33 AMPosted by Astrai
It's not bold at all. There is not one case where anybody has demonstrated such things are even remotely possible; and every case where people have tried has ended in failure.

On the contrary, there have been many cases where events have been predicted and psychic ability has been displayed, and while none of them can be scientifically proven, neither can gravity. Both are just theories, and yet one has been dismissed for the most part despite having substancial evidence.
(admittedly gravity may not be the best thing to compare to, but we were on the subject so meh)
Edited by IAreLemons on 11/11/2011 8:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
troll questions are troll
Reply Quote
11/11/2011 09:15 AMPosted by Ponera
troll questions are troll

Indeed, but I'm bored.
Reply Quote
http://www.economist.com/node/21538077

Microraptor found with a bird in its stomach. What this means is that it ate a bird. It doesn't mean it flew and it doesn't mean it lived in trees. :/ sensationalism.

Still doesn't beat this one, though it is prettier:

http://evolutiondiary.com/2007/11/12/shark-ate-amphibian-ate-fish-first-food-chain-fossil/
Reply Quote
Okay to be honest I was just playing devil's advocate to kill time. You're probably right about most if not all psychics being bs, I really don't feel strongly either way.
gg sir.
Reply Quote
I would tend to agree but me and my roomate watched history channel about him, googled found a list of his prophecies, looked at the ones between 2009 and 2012, and he managed to predict all of the natural disasters that happened with dates and the areas that will be affected etc. having died in the 1940's. was kinda creepy the types of stuff he predicted actually. He believes that there is a very good chance that vladamir lenin will have a coup and resurect the soviet union at some time in 2012 shortly after world war 3 will break out. he also has a specific date that iran will reveal its nuclear capability to the world (gonna see if my roomate can send me the link to the site). But yeah in general I would tend to agree with you, psychics are bull!@#$, just don't dismiss this guy out of hand out of hand.
Reply Quote
psychics work on vagueness and coincidence. Also people are actively trying to fit the answer into the prediction, rather than taking the answer for what it is.

Not to mention, with all the whacky predictions, someone has to fluke and be right sometime, statistically speaking, especially for the more reasonable and probable ones.
Reply Quote
The latest episode of south park really covers what the "history" channel is more prone to show these days.
Reply Quote
just watched red vs. blue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3P5BgNOw4A&feature=bf_prev&list=SL&lf=list_related) , awesome show. I feel like ponera is sarge in this episode. Except the bit where he explains how he found the doctor to be there. 4:15 - 4:30. Been hunting humans for a long time now, spent the last like 12 hours outside in the sun (actually half dark with the day being so short) running around. Didn't tag anybody. And since I can't really tell people in joey rays bars my problems I've decided to do it here. One of my roomates tells me hes a super genius who knows everything (because he is a computer programmer), yet somehow he sucks at every game (video, board, card, anything really) we play. The other has many problems which I will not go into, but the big problem is that he smells really bad, because he stays in his bed all day everyday, often only moving to go to class. Now that I have un-loaded my problems they can go haunt other people for about 5 seconds until i feel the need to !@#$% again. I have 2 roomates that are awesome, but they are un-important for now. Now question electron orbitals their shapes, i was looking at them the other day and the shapes they were in didn't really make sense after the D orbital. Why are electron orbitals the shapes that they are?
Reply Quote
11/12/2011 12:57 PMPosted by Ponera
The latest episode of south park really covers what the "history" channel is more prone to show these days.

good point, i suppose it could be chalked up to a dirk gently's hollostic detective agency event. And yeah history channel is a little non- histroical now. I have hopes that these episodes will get better and at least match the craziness/ real world relevancy of season 12.
Reply Quote
Hey Ponera, find anything yet?
Reply Quote
Yeah, but I am waiting for the report to be filed. I'll update with pics and the story as soon as it is.

One thing I can tell you is that I saw the largest wolf tracks I've ever seen as well as found a yearling moose skull with a deformed antler that I'll be cleaning up.
Reply Quote
nice mounted moose skull on wall will look badass, so electron orbitals and their shapes . . . ? Also you've never responded to the multiple times I've asked
Is there a limit to human ingenuity? Is there a problem that sustained concentrated thought cannot overcome? Is there a way where there is a will? That whole deal

obviously this is more an opinion than fact but I'm curious as to how you feel about it. Last but not least have you heard about the whole internet censorship bill that has been raised in the US?
Reply Quote
Naw the skull is framentary, so i knocked out the floor of the cranium and what was left of the maxilla. Now it's just a skull cap, basically, with occipital and nasals still there.

I have no idea about electrons, nor do I care about them.

Humans are limited by perception. Ingenuity isn't exactly that common. There is a limit, I have no idea what it is. Why would anyone know that?
Reply Quote
i suppose what I am asking is do you ever look at stars and feel a sense of wonder, or do you ever go on vacation for a month and come back to find rainbow mold growing in your fridge and go "thats awesome", I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I'm not asking what you know I am asking what you believe about the limit to human ingenuity, etc, etc. Which is why i said

11/22/2011 03:18 PMPosted by Necromaster
this is more an opinion than fact but I'm curious as to how you feel about it

or if you've never really thought about it I guess that is also an answer.
PS. skull -> awesome, I applaud you being more awesome then you were before, really want to make my front door out of interlocking skulls
P.Ps. electrons care about you, figuratively
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]