StarCraft® II

[Feature Request] New type of practice games

It would be nice to have an unranked practice system.

The idea is that the matchmaking would be identical to the existing ladder matchmaking system, only you can specify the race you will play against.

Sometimes I really want practice vs a Zerg opponent, or focus on my TvT for instance. It would be easy to implement. Just one added parameter to the existing system for matchmaking when in this 'practice mode'.

Example: A zerg player out there wants to practice against a Terran opponent, and I, a Terran player, am looking for a Zerg opponent. If our MMRs align then we could be paired up.

Perhaps one could choose multiple races to be paired with thus excluding whichever he/she didn't select.

For instance my TvP is solid so I may want to only search for Zerg/Terran opponents.

Bump or add suggestions if you agree. Or flame me if this is either a fundamentally bad idea, or has been posted before.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
Create a custom game?
Reply Quote
Yes but that assumes you know a player of a particular race that is willing to run practice games. Most of my friends don't play SC2, and of those who do none play Zerg. It's a tedious process to go into the custom games channel and spam for a practice partner as well.
Reply Quote
Oh and also, adding something like this is just another excuse people can use for ladder anxiety which will kill the ladder slowly, no offence to you specifically but I can just see many of my friends saying "I'm just going to practice" and then never actually ladder... IMO until you're a high level player and are practising against a specific build, there is no need for anything except the ladder. all I did was ladder ladder ladder to get where I am
Reply Quote
Just go into Zerg/Terran/Protoss strategy channels and say, "Any (Insert league) players want to practice?)
Reply Quote
10/04/2011 09:23 AMPosted by Null
It's a tedious process to go into the custom games channel and spam for a practice partner as well.
Reply Quote
10/04/2011 09:34 AMPosted by Quillo
Oh and also, adding something like this is just another excuse people can use for ladder anxiety which will kill the ladder slowly, no offence to you specifically but I can just see many of my friends saying "I'm just going to practice" and then never actually ladder... IMO until you're a high level player and are practising against a specific build, there is no need for anything except the ladder. all I did was ladder ladder ladder to get where I am

I respect that you've played over 1000 games this season alone and have gotten to masters.

Considering you are probably an American with work/school/training/military service and probably spend time with friends/family/pet/associations, that must have required dedication and effort. Dedication and effort are rare in a hobby these days. Not even in sports do you see real dedication to improvement often anymore.

However, the average player (gold) is going to be mighty annoyed when he can't figure for the life of him how to stop that 1/1/1 that's killing him something close to 25% of the time on ladder. That player probably won't enjoy starcraft enough to play the 1000 games and whatever and whatnot it takes to get where he wants to be. Even then, most masters players could use some practice against 1/1/1 too.

More on topic: I think practice games would be better if they were like bw/tft games with descriptions that could be used as some sort of classified ad. For example: "Protoss looking for Terran to use 1/1/1."
Edited by boxturtle on 10/4/2011 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I really like that idea tbh. It takes the guess work out for sure. But it would be extra useful to practice against various rushes. ie 4gate, 6pool, 11 double rax (if you play vs zerg) and so forth.

Seems that maybe be a bit harder to implement though, and too easy to troll.

For instance, if some advertised that they want someone to do a slow econ build so they could practice their mid/late game, I could go in and all in and win no problem.
Reply Quote
10/04/2011 10:59 AMPosted by boxturtle
However, the average player (gold) is going to be mighty annoyed when he can't figure for the life of him how to stop that 1/1/1 that's killing him something close to 25% of the time on ladder

And he's going to enjoy it more in a custom game...why?
Reply Quote
I don't like it. It's a weak bandaid for ladder anxiety, which is a personal problem that should be fixed not worked around. I don't think it's necessary anyways, you can very easily find willing practice partners, either through a forum or the in game chat channels.
Reply Quote
10/04/2011 02:11 PMPosted by Slurf
However, the average player (gold) is going to be mighty annoyed when he can't figure for the life of him how to stop that 1/1/1 that's killing him something close to 25% of the time on ladder

If he wants to practice to beat it he wants to keep playing. It's an option, if someone doesn't enjoy it they'll quit the game. Self help is better than no help.
Reply Quote
10/05/2011 10:30 AMPosted by boxturtle
f he wants to practice to beat it he wants to keep playing. It's an option, if someone doesn't enjoy it they'll quit the game. Self help is better than no help.

10/04/2011 02:11 PMPosted by Slurf
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]