StarCraft® II

Plot Hole in "Smash and Grab"

If the Tal'darim have been cut off from mainstream Protosss society for centuries, then why do they have Stalkers?
Reply Quote
Nice question. We both know it's there to represent the Protoss power and unit diversity. I'd have to put money on Tal'Darim spies, new defectors to the Tal'Darim's religious point of view... Something like that.

Could make for some interesting C&D Protoss story development in LotV.

Reply Quote
I was under the impression that the Tal'Darim are sort of a religious cult that are a fairly recent development. That would be why they still have all the Protoss tech. Canonically I may be wrong about this though if it's been explained outside the game.
Reply Quote
The Tal'Darim are survivalists. They must have captured Dark Templars (as implied by "Maw of the Void"), stolen and salvaged their tech and turned them into slaves by addicting them to Sundrop. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the Tal'Darim's Stalkers are actually rigged like Tychus's suit.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 10/28/2011 6:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
For that matter: Where do Tal'Darim toss warp in from? I thought Shakuras was the only place warping toss around these days.
Reply Quote
10/28/2011 09:57 AMPosted by Pochas
Where do Tal'Darim toss warp in from?

The Void?
Reply Quote
10/28/2011 07:48 AMPosted by Retloclive
You don't know that for sure. It's never stated that they stole the tech. Not everyone is going to believe your theory that they stole the tech at some point because it WASN'T CONFIRMED. It's never even stated why the Tal'Darim were caging the Dark Templar.

No !@#$, Sherlock.

Of course it's not confirmed; it's a theory.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 10/28/2011 10:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The campaign made it seem like Zeratul awakened the Colossai when he landed on Aiur and yet somehow the Tal'darim ended up having the tech.

The colossi could have sleeping everywhere. They were hidden for centuries according to the lore. The Tal'derim most likely woke them as well cuz it does not seem that Zeratul had to be the first one to wake them up nor the only one to be able to wake them up.
Reply Quote
The campaign made it seem like Zeratul awakened the Colossai

Zeratul's adventures took place 4 years before the WoL campaign began... It's plausible that Zeratul did awaken them and the Tal'Darim got their hands on them after that point.

Since the Tal'darim are "old-style" Protoss. You'd think you would see them using more original SC units. Hell, they were using SCOUTS of all units. Since the Tal'darim were "cut-off" from the main Protoss forces, it was the perfect opportunity to bring in original SC units like Reavers, Arbitors or even Dragoons for the campaign.

For the campaign, yeah, that could've made for a cool change up. I think Blizzard wanted to keep things consistent, though, not to mention they'd've had to develop those older units again for SC2. But cool idea.

From a story perspective, I could believe the Tal'Darim got the advanced tech via espionage.
From a game perspective, it's about introducing the Protoss forces (that are playable in the multiplayer).
Also, from a gaming perspective, the DT's were being held for strategy opportunities.

Reply Quote
The Tal'darim using newer tech is practically unnoticable, but it a questionable flaw; a very minor one, but IT IS A DAMN FLAW. Blizzard doesn't get around to explain why the Tal'darim has this tech. So you have someone like the original poster confused as to how the Tal'darim has dark templar technology.

They COULD of mentioned it, Maw of the Void had the set up if they simply just had one of the captured dark templars say that "The Tal'darim captured us to gain our technology," Instead, were stuck with just thinking up random theories.

You got rabies or what? If you and your partners in whine enjoy being constantly angry about something as trivial as a video game, be my guess, but at least try to keep your nerd rage for yourself; it's both annoying and immature, not to mention detrimental to the conversation.

Seriously, all I'm offering is a plausible explanation using the facts we are given in order to explain or at the very least alleviate the plot holes and loose ends. I like to think it's a more interesting and productive approach than to just endlessly complain until Kingdom come as there's really no way in hell Blizzard will go back to address these kind of minor flaws.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 10/28/2011 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Then start working on your own campaign, genius.
Reply Quote
10/28/2011 12:22 PMPosted by Retloclive
Of course it's not confirmed; it's a theory

And most of what you throw at everyone who dislikes WoL is nothing BUT theories. Theories that you desparately try to convince everyone is the damn truth. Everytime someone points out an obvious flaw about WoL you always show up to defend it with these crazy bulls@%t theories in an attempt to justify why it happened.

I've never acually seen you agree with someone that pointed out a problem in WoL. You really are just a fanboy Johnny.

The Tal'darim using newer tech is practically unnoticable, but it a questionable flaw; a very minor one, but IT IS A DAMN FLAW. Blizzard doesn't get around to explain why the Tal'darim has this tech. So you have someone like the original poster confused as to how the Tal'darim has dark templar technology.

They COULD of mentioned it, Maw of the Void had the set up if they simply just had one of the captured dark templars say that "The Tal'darim captured us to gain our technology," Instead, were stuck with just thinking up random theories.

JohnyZeWolf should be hired by Blizz, because his theories COULD actually work.

Reply Quote
I'm still amazed one could make such an issue out of something as mild and inconsequential. The fact that even I can easily come up with a plausible explanation for it pretty much shows how much of a problem this really is.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 10/28/2011 5:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So the writers decided to leave that one unimportant detail up to the player's imagination. Big freaking deal.

This reminds me of an anecdote about John Carpenter's Escape From New York.

Despite being British, Donald Pleasence was cast as the President of the United States; he apparently came up with a backstory to explain such glaring inconsistency, but John Carpenter decided not to use it as he thought nobody would care.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 10/28/2011 5:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]