Slight Ghost Nerf - EMP

I think the EMP should deal 100 damage total, that goes first through shields, then energy. This would leave EMP powerful, but not as totally debilitating.

^ Interesting suggestion also. However, I still would rather see EMPing become a strategic decision, (EMP the army and then try to engage at the right time, after the energy has been drained), than a no brainer "instadamage" spell that is very easy to cast.
Reply Quote
10/20/2011 07:01 PMPosted by shadowhawk
lower shields and energy over time

lower shields over time, as in like 2 in game seconds. instantly wipe out energy cause if you see that emp go off and your energy is draining you can pop off a good 3-4 ff before energy gone. wouldn't really seem fair. there was a thread exactly like this about 2 weeks ago.

That is exactally what I'm getting at though, during the crucial battle, it would allow the Protoss army to get off some spells before completely running out of energy. A Terran army can very well stim and move away until the energy has been fully drained. This would certainly take a lot more skill, but it is a change aimed towards the higher leagues of play. And with practice, it should make for some very dynamic battles :-)
Reply Quote
Basically as we all know the late game in PvT generally gets decided by either storms or EMPs hitting the enemy army. The problem is the probability of the attacks hitting, storm for example does tons of damage if it hits, there for the High Templar get a few "handicaps" they're some of the slowest units in the toss death ball (which is saying a lot, toss death ball isn't exactly known for its speed), they're very squishy and they can't do any form of auto attacking. Seems like enough of a handicap for the amount of damage it can potentially do.

The ghost how ever, even though their potential damage is significantly higher then High Templar due to the fact that they don't just take out the shields from a toss army but also all of the energy (which is a direct and huge reduction of the toss damage potential, without that it was already significantly lower then stimed bio), do not seem to have any "handicaps". In fact instead of giving the unit handicaps it's given stealth, a load of HP and a sick amount of range. Just the stealth for example adds a huge amount of extra multitasking for the toss army, and the toss counter for the stealth gets counters way to easily by just dropping a scan.

Late game PvT looks like this, toss gets their colossus tech up in order to not die to upgraded bio (stim Bio > gateway units as we all know), terran gets vikings thus colossus dont mean anything again, thus toss gets High Templar (to again not just die to stimed bio) which means the terrans gets ghosts. In an ideal situation the terran player should never loose because Stim bio > Gateway unit - Vikings > Colossus - Ghosts > HT.
Toss and terrans play right now before hitting the late game is based on hitting the terran/toss in between these tech switches but eventually if it comes to an actual late game the terran (as long as he scout properly, or just keeps enougn vikings / ghosts) should always be able to straight up counter everything the toss can trow at him in a face to face confrontation. My personal solution would be to reduce the range of snipe to the same range as HT feedback so its a skill based fight on who's "shoots" first and the cloak / emp will still be more then enough of a HT counter.

Anyone with a good idea on how to balance this a little more properly please let us know and post! ;)
Edited by Bankutsu on 5/1/2013 12:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The ghost how ever, even though their potential damage is significantly higher then High Templar due to the fact that they don't just take out the shields from a toss army but also all of the energy (which is a direct and huge reduction of the toss damage potential, without that it was already significantly lower then stimed bio), do not seem to have any "handicaps". In fact instead of giving the unit handicaps it's given stealth, a load of HP and a sick amount of range. Just the stealth for example adds a huge amount of extra multitasking for the toss army, and the toss counter for the stealth gets counters way to easily by just dropping a scan.

Yes, this. Makes me rage so hard. Seems like an eye-win button imo. Regardless of the build I choose, the Terran can go Bio with ghosts and be perfectly fine. Doesn't matter if I have a counter or not. If Terran reaches late game, he builds ghosts. If his micro is half-decent he profits.
Reply Quote
EMP is necessary for mere survival against HT in it's already nerfed-to-hell form. So that's a negative on this idea. TvP is very well balanced as it is, with a slight advantage to protoss if anything.
Reply Quote
I thought EMP was nerfed already
Reply Quote
no, because HTs can still drop storms before the energy is lowered. In higher league, players can respond fast enough to the point that it entirely negates EMP, which is terran only respond to storms.

1. Terran players would have to be proactive about EMPing other units, some time before the battle begins, instead of just instantly as the battle is occurring, or about to occur. If EMP happens during the battle, at least some templar/infestors will be able to get off their spells before reaching low energy.

Terrans already have to pre-emptive EMP before the battle begins. Because EMP only affect shield and energy. If terran army engages, the shield would go first, thereby decrease the effect of EMP. Protoss does not have to preemptive storm, because ther Protoss army can engage and decrease opponent HP, and then storm will deal just as much damage as if it is used before.
I still don't see why Ghosts need an ability that specifically grants them a bonus against Protoss.

because they are otherwise useless lol
Also, maybe this would force terrans to use their invisible sniper special ops unit as its feaking meant to be used

because protoss has the invisible detector? And the sniper special ops doesn't outrange Feedback. What kind of sniper special ops that has equal chance of being killed by his victim?
Until ghost snipe has 13-15 range, high damage, high energy or long cooldown, it's not a sniper ability.
Edited by thanatos on 5/2/2013 12:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah and vikings melt colossi so its a win for terran cause viking cost less..
Reply Quote
Teadrinker - October 21st 2011
Bankutsu - May 3rd 2013

/facepalm
Reply Quote
yeah great idea and lets also make the nexus cannon shoot 5 times the length of a siege tank instead of just 3 while we are at it. then would you be happy? nah i think the mobile siege tanks colossus should also be able to attack air.
Reply Quote
Yeah, let's make the Ghost even more useless. GREAT IDEA OP!

Try actually playing Terran first before suggesting something like this. It's bad enough they reduced the radius and capped the damage at 100 shields & energy, not to mention EMP is completely redundant with Snipe.
Reply Quote
i agree with the make it a tier 3 ability - i find it ridiculous that they can snipe, take zealots, AND neutralize a whole Protoss ball - many ghosts = many EMPs... painful
Reply Quote
Freaking n00bs don't even play Terran have no idea what you're talking about.

Ghosts are *OK* vs Zealots but really aren't nearly as cost effective as Hellbats. Besides Feedback pretty much murders Ghosts unless the Terran player is quicker on the draw with snipe/EMP.

Speaking of which, let's just break those 2 skills down for all the whiny QQ'ers.

Snipe is 25 energy, and it takes 2 to off 1 HT. EMP is 75 energy and only drains a max of 100 energy & shields. So against an HT full energy it won't actually stop feedback though EMP is generally preferred for the AoE.

Since the snipe nerf, it's only really been useful vs HT and Infestors - the latter even less so since HotS s they aren't used nearly as much. Snipe is utter garbage vs Vipers due to their HP and EMP is redundant as well because of their range, speed, and consume.

tl;dr Learn to play better instead of crying over how Terran is supposedly OP.

Mass Ghosts will not, I repeat, WILL NOT stop a Protoss death ball, not even close. You guys simply have so much splash damage that it requires absolutely flawless micro on our part to compensate - 1 slip up and that will cost us our army. Worse, you can always do a warp prism drop with some zealots to try and distract the army - either way we take a bad hit regardless of which threat we choose to deal with.

Seriously Protoss late-game PvT is as "A-move" as it gets.
Reply Quote
We Zergs feel left out...
Reply Quote
Wow, necromeister! 2 years! omg i dont even...LOL
Reply Quote
Oh WOW this is an epic necro isn't it... didn't even notice, just saw it was at the top of the list a few days ago. Scrubs will always be scrubs I guess.
Reply Quote
Im a Zerg player I beleive the EMP does not need a nerf its quite balanced
Reply Quote
Plague did 300 damage or something, so if you wanted to go that route - let's do 300 DoT damage over 30 seconds k
Reply Quote
Should make it a projectile so i can dodge the dam thing lol
Reply Quote
Don't clump up all your HT into a ball then.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]