StarCraft® II

[Concept] An Updated Armory

With the announcements regarding HotS's gameplay additions and tweaks, I've been thinking about ways to improve Wings of Liberty's Armory, which I feel is the most flawed aspect of the single-player campaign. Basically, it's a bit of a mess in its current state: too many units tend to have overlapping roles. HotS seems to have found a solution to this with the concept of "Evolution", which feels highly reminiscent to the Ghost/Spectre choice in WoL. Of course, the Terrans can't "evolve" their units per se... but you could still make it so they have to choose between two options.

So here's my idea: each mission would still introduce an unit like in the vanilla campaign, and give the player plenty of room to experiment with it. However, every time the player acquires two units of the same "type", he would have to decide which tech to keep for the rest of the campaign. He can't have both.

So let's say you first play The Dig; you get Siege Tanks, and use them to hold the line. Then you decide to play The Great Train Robbery; you get Diamondbacks, and use them for hunting down armored trains. But when you go back to the Hyperion, Swann informs you that the Hyperion doesn't have the facilities to make both: either stay with the slower artillery unit, which needs to become immobile to do maximum damage, or get the faster and heavily armored tank hunter, with the ability to shoot while moving.

So here how I imagine it could play out:

Marine (anti-air, stim)
Reaper (no anti-air, can jump cliffs, D8 charges)

Marauder (longer range, anti-armored)
Firebat (shorter range, bonus splash damage against light, Juggernaut armor)

Ghost (Snipe, EMP, has +3 sight and +2 range thanks to Ocular Implants)
Spectre (Psionic Lash, Ultrasonic Pulse)

Medic (cheaper, ground unit, built at barracks)
Medivac (more mobile, can heal two targets at once, can transport)

Hellion (longer range, splash damage)
Vulture (mines)

Siege Tank (slower, can become a powerful immobile artillery with splash damage)
Diamondback (faster, 40 damage against Armored, can shoot while moving)

Thor (tougher, deadlier, longer range, bonus splash damage against light air)
Goliath (smaller, cheaper, bonus AA damage against armored)

Viking (longer range, bonus against armored, can transform)
Valkyrie (tougher, shorter range, splash damage)*

Banshee (air-to-ground only, longer range)
Wraith (shoots air and ground)

Raven (Autoturret, Point Defense Drone, Seeker Missile)
Explorer (Repair, Defense Matrix, Irradiate)

Minotaur-class (volley of small lasers, Missile Barrage)
Behemoth-class (single powerful laser, Yamato cannon)*

I believe this could make for a great single-player mod - and a relatively easy one to design - as it would merely require editing existing assets.

The only thing I have yet to figure out is how to implement the units marked with an asterisk; maybe a choice following their respective introduction mission?

Thoughts?
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 11/10/2011 4:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
Meh. You're already making either-or descisions with the research trees.

It would be more fun to screw with the multi-player game that way. Let each player select from a list of tech-trees at the start of the game and then watch the fun as the multi-player scene starts pitting diamondbacks against lurkers against reavers.
Reply Quote
It would be more fun to screw with the multi-player game that way. Let each player select from a list of tech-trees at the start of the game and then watch the fun as the multi-player scene starts pitting diamondbacks against lurkers against reavers.

Terrible idea. Youll end up with situations where players get roflstomped because they didnt choose the right units to counter what their opponent chose.
Reply Quote
Considering that WoL is done (at this point) I'd like to see Blizzard stop holding us at the the archive screen when you "continue" a completed campaign... Give us the option to play through a campaign a 2nd time with all acquired upgrades and research. Of course the achievements would be disabled, but I've always wanted to replay the missions that introduce the various units with their upgraded options.

Nice ideas, though, JohnnyZeWolf.

Edited by Sheppard on 11/11/2011 8:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/10/2011 02:46 PMPosted by Khobai
Terrible idea. Youll end up with situations where players get roflstomped because they didnt choose the right units to counter what their opponent chose.

Yes. True. Chaos = fun!
Reply Quote
Someone had a similar idea, but chose to make a melee mod out of it. Check it out!

http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/player-zone/map-feedback/24490-sc-expanded-melee-mod/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]