StarCraft® II

That new thread I said I was gonna make

What is the difference between something that a person/persons believe/s and something that a person/persons know/s? What is the difference between knowledge and belief? 1or2ormore rules #1 NO RELIGIOUS (or anything linked closely to religion) STUFF, #! attack the argument not the person making the argument etc. try not to confuse your argument with your beliefs, though that's actually inevitable so scrap that last one. This thread is an offshoot of the life after death thread, but #1 so that thread and its content will no longer be mentioned.
Edited by Necromaster on 11/11/2011 8:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
well im gonna start with this since you guys responded before I even made the thread
11/11/2011 08:33 AMPosted by Astrai
Believing is asserting something is true without sufficient evidence. Knowing is having properly gathered and interpreted data supporting a statement.

11/11/2011 08:35 AMPosted by IAreLemons
I'd say this is entirely dependant on who you ask. For me, something I know is something I have definitive proof for, where as something I believe is something I can't prove but believe anyway for whatever reason, and is subject to change.

do you truly know something if the evidence points towards that thing being true? Yesterday (and today) i was playing a game called Humans vs. Zombies, think of it as tag only the non-tagged people can use nerf guns and if they hit a tagged person that person is stunned for 5 minutes. Anyway so a friend of mine hears from a girl that there was this person in her last class (10:00 am) that kept staring at her bandanna (bandanna on the arm means you are human on the head means zombie) the person who was staring at her was wearing blue shirt, shorts, had blond hair, and was white. From this my friend assumed that as one of the few people with blond hair, being white, and dumb enough to wear shorts in November that i was the OZ (original zombie). Now i wake up (11:30 am) i shower get dressed put on a blue shirt, and shorts. I meet my friend later that day without a partner to cover my back against zombie attack, and only 1 nerf gun. He now is confident that he has enough, evidence to say with absolute confidence that I am the OZ. I had not been called e-mailed or in any other way informed that i was the OZ, but as it turned out I was. The admin of the game had called the wrong number and som1 with the same 1st name picked up and answered yes and i understand when the admin told that person they were the OZ. At this point the game has come to a virtual standstill, because due to gossip everyone knew I was the OZ before i even did, and thus everyone is on the lookout for me and I can't tag any1. The point being is my friend had evidence to suggest that I was the OZ, and as it turned out he was correct but It was simply a long string of coincidences, that lead to him being correct. So would you say that he really knew i was the OZ or that he simply got a lucky guess? Another example this one is hypothetical. Suppose Bob is driving alongside a sheep pasture, and passes a sign telling him that the sheep are grazing today watch-out for them crossing. As he is driving he see's from a distance a white furry object, and assumes that the sheep are in the field where he saw the white furry object. Now as it turns out the object he saw was an albino sheep dog, however behind a hill next to the dog there were in fact sheep grazing. Could we say that Bob actually knew that there were sheep in the field, or was he simply lucky, inferring the correct answer from evidence that supported a different conclusion? Are we actually knowing things or are we just happening to have true, beliefs, that are justified (have evidence in favor of them)?
Wouldn't it make beliefs and knowledge something that is relative to opinion? Doesn't that raise problems in what knowledge and beliefs is for you are if someone see's it differently?(grammar-_-) Also What if your definitive proof is mis-construed like in the above scenario?
Edited by Necromaster on 11/11/2011 9:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
As I said, it's really dependant on the person you ask.
11/11/2011 08:35 AMPosted by IAreLemons
I'd say this is entirely dependant on who you ask. For me, something I know is something I have definitive proof for, where as something I believe is something I can't prove but believe anyway for whatever reason, and is subject to change.
Reply Quote
11/11/2011 08:34 AMPosted by Necromaster
What is the difference between something that a person/persons believe/s and something that a person/persons know/s?

effectively, nothing. Technically where the split happens is between faith and data/logic. Logic can be proven in the same way that math can be. Data actually supports an idea, making it logically more reasonable to exist. Faith is belief without evidence.
Reply Quote
wow everyone is really active today, but i gotta go kill me some humans. but

11/11/2011 09:16 AMPosted by Ponera
effectively, nothing. Technically where the split happens is between faith and data/logic. Logic can be proven in the same way that math can be. Data actually supports an idea, making it logically more reasonable to exist. Faith is belief without evidence.

hmmm You kinda stole all my thunder right there, well most of it. You haven't said anything about my chance makes knowing impossible argument, but i think that just because it took me so long to type it. So i guess I have another question(s), is anything possible with hard work, determination, and luck? Is there a limit to human ingenuity? Is there a problem that sustained concentrated thought cannot overcome? Is there a way where there is a will? That whole deal, do you believe in any of it?
I will return later tonight.
Reply Quote
11/11/2011 09:31 AMPosted by Necromaster
wow everyone is really active today

Waiting to get Skyrim.
Reply Quote
i know five people who camped out at gamestop last night, they all came back at noon today smiling
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]