StarCraft® II

Help needed w/ 'In Utter Darkness'

I recently purchased SC2 and I'm having trouble getting the 750+ kill achievement even on Normal level. Did they ramp up the difficulty in a patch?
I watched some video walkthroughs and the composition of zerg forces in those older videos looks nothing like it does for me. By about 1800+ kills, every attack wave has multiple overlords, so you can't use the Dark Templar method. Moreover, the attacks are non-stop, so there is no time to regroup. By 2000 kills, it's just non-stop waves with no pause, so by 2100 kills, no matter how many units I have, how much money I have (I did the early gold expansion) or cannons or gateways or stargates, I can't build enough to keep with non-stop hybrids attacking.

I have tried a Colossi and Void/Carrier build; a dark templar build.

Any suggestions? Does anyone know if the difficulty has changed recently? There are videos using the Dark Templar method to build walls of Dark Templars on the two ramps, but in those videos (made in 2010), there are hardly any overlords, so it's a snap to get 2500+ kills.
Reply Quote
Spawn more anti air and give overseers priority.
Reply Quote
Watch this; do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVy3Ewwlu3I

You won't find a simpler strategy that works.

The trick is to have at least one choke completely blocked with Photon cannon when the big push comes. You need to keep the Zerg from surrounding your army. Of course, it's better to have more than one blocked.:)
Reply Quote
On normal, what I did was block off all sections with photon cannons (usually 1 row, but could probably do better with 2), and crank out colossi, warp prisms, and carriers. The colossi and carriers can handle the small stuff, but save your prisms for the hybrid units. As the prisms build up power, they'll just shred through the hybrids. ALso recommend dishing out an extra 10 probes (5 from each nexus) to gather minerals (can go higher if you think it'll help). They key is getting crowd control for the small stuff, and build up power for the big ones.
Edited by Sceadwian on 11/29/2011 1:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
What worked for me...

Start off by building some more workers and additional upgrade buildings. (Work on upgrades constantly.)
Colossi/Phoenix & Void Ray favored strategy. (Abuse the Graviton beam on Hybrids.)
Build as many cannons as possible while waiting for gas... especially on the upper grounds.
Use the Mothership's blackhole spell on hordes near end to reduce numbers to deal with simultaneously.

* On Normal - you should even be able to take & mine out the expo with some cannon defense too - for extra cannon money.

GL ツ
Reply Quote
for me to get this acheivment I just had a massive 200/200 death ball of immortals colosi carries etc that they gave me
the key to this mission is 3/3/3/3/3 meel damage meele armor shields air attack air defense
if you dont get 3/3 everything you will almost indenfenitly fail this mission without the acheivment

by the time iwas done i was mined out of gas and minerals with no gold expandsion
you should have no trouble with this mission at all
Reply Quote
Thank you for all the replies. I did manage to eke out 2500 kills by the skin of my teeth thanks to the advice of the responses here. Part of the problem I guess is that since this is my first time through the campaign, which is mostly terran, I don't have a good sense of the strengths and weaknesses of the Protoss units. I don't know what a Warp Prism is either. Fortunately, that has no bearing in real life, but I'll figure it out. ;)
Reply Quote
Don't fret, you don't even use Warp Prisms in "Utter". One of the saddest things missing from that mission is the Protoss Nexus Chrono Boost. But, ...

Glad to read you got your achieve! Nice.

Reply Quote
Don't fret, you don't even use Warp Prisms in "Utter". One of the saddest things missing from that mission is the Protoss Nexus Chrono Boost. But, ...

Glad to read you got your achieve! Nice.

Chrono boost would be a big help with the first few batches of Collosi; however, with the gas constraints, it wouldn't go as far as one might think.

Protoss do seem like the most fun, abilities like Blink and units like the Mothership are just a full-on hoot. Mass Recall for the win!
Reply Quote
11/24/2011 06:13 AMPosted by DiamondDave
Chrono boost would be a big help with the first few batches of Collosi; however, with the gas constraints, it wouldn't go as far as one might think.

Always useful for unit production... At least you have access to Warp Gate Tech - I just never really used it much.

This mission could be really, really fun if the map was a bit smaller - That's why it's so hard [imo].

Reply Quote
11/24/2011 06:51 PMPosted by Azire
Seriously this might sounds crazy but try to do the mission on Brutal. I had a little trouble getting the 750 extra on Normal as well but I easily got it when I completed the mission on Brutal. I ended up losing at 3377 kills on Brutal.

It's not crazy; if you can make it through the waves, you get more kills on brutal. It's tougher to get through the waves, but each one lets you rack up hundreds of kills and the nasty stuff usually comes at the end. Survive a wave and there are hundreds more Zerglings to roast in the next wave and the waves are bigger on brutal. That's why the kill requirement goes up; you go through about the same number of waves but there are more Zerg on the higher levels.

Or maybe I'm crazy.
Reply Quote
This mission could be really, really fun if the map was a bit smaller - That's why it's so hard [imo].

The map is tough, but what made it tough for me was not knowing anything about Protoss. There are three, fairly lightweight missions and then this monster. I played it through several levels before I found out about the Graviton beam. I had to get some help when I played hard, and I'm reading these web pages thinking "what is a Graviton beam?"

It is just such a huge difficulty leap from the other Protoss missions.
Reply Quote
I got this achievement on hard. I'm sure you can get it on normal, ez mode. In fact, I got about 100 over. :)
Reply Quote
11/24/2011 07:36 PMPosted by DiamondDave
It is just such a huge difficulty leap from the other Protoss missions.

I can agree with you on that. The previous missions, for the most part, have you focused on moving Zeratul from objective to objective and then out jumps "Utter" with mass army control. Oh, sure... You got a taste of that while mind-melding with the Overmind's body parts, but... For it to be a full on Protoss experience, some things were lacking...
I guess they figured that the Protoss is such an easy race to use we'd get it with no problems. (LoL)

It took me a little time to adjust to utilizing the Graviton Beams too.

xD
Reply Quote
Sorry, meant Void Rays . . . no idea why I called them Warp Prisms : /
Reply Quote
11/29/2011 01:40 PMPosted by Sceadwian
Sorry, meant Void Rays . . . no idea why I called them Warp Prisms : /

// Slaps forehead...

I should've guessed that. I feel dumb, now! LoL
Yeah, too bad that mission was the first time you got to use Voids in the campaign. They can be fun, except they're so slow! Massed they can be really powerful. I'm not convinced they'd far asa well on their own, though. I feel they really shine when targeting units caught in a Graviton Beam.
Reply Quote
Here is what I did for the most part.

I made 6 extra probes to mine, made 2 more forges, 3 robo bays, 2 stargates, 5 cannons near your mineral lines.

I start out with making my whole army under hotkey 1 and then all my air as hotkey 2. When I press one, every unit will be selected, not just ground. Keep that in mind. The reason I have a separate hotkey for my air is so they can snipe particular units I hate, mostly overseers.

Now, reseach ground weapons and shields. Do not worry about air units yet. We will get to that. Make a total of 6 colossi. When that is done, keep your phoenix count above 7. If any die, make more. The most important thing is your micro. If you have your air units under the hotkey 2, you can press 2, g and then select a hybrid to use the gravitron beam on. That simple. If you see an overseer, snipe it.

If you have a lot of excess money/gas, make immortals. Trust me, they rock. They hold back ultras and reavers better than anything. Colossi and air units cannot kill them fast enough. Immortals hold them back and do massive damage.

When void rays arrive, add them to the hotkey one and two as well. Make sure to have at least 7 void rays. (Yes..I like the number 7. Deal with it) These units will also be your overseer snipers as they do extra vs armored. Now...You may be wondering "Uhh...Why kill the overseers when you do not have any DT or cloaked units?" Easy..Practice. This will help out when the mothership arrives. Practice makes perfect. I lasted an extra 15 minutes after the mothership arrived. I had 3400 kills on brutal. You should keep up on the upgrades. Make sure that weapons come first, then shields then armor.

Now, when the archives are saved (Or destroyed) take to the high ground. If you have a lot of minerals but little gas, make cannons to block the entrances and keep your units on the ledge. They will slaughter everything for the longest time. When you start to get more gas, spend them on the units you are lowest on. No colossi? Make more. Run out of phoenixes? Make a few. Out of an army? You better have a whole lot of money or else you are screwed.

Just keep at it, keep your army alive, snipe the overseers, you will do fine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]