StarCraft® II

I need help on Utter Darkness...

That's the one Mission (I just haven't played Safe Haven yet, looks easy), keeping me from getting the stupid brutal achievement. I've watched tons of videos but I just can't doooooo EEEEEEEEEEEEET! DiamondDave, you iz pro, halp meh.
Reply Quote
I had a hell of a hard time on this one. I ended up cheesing most of it.

Remember where the first few waves come from. Move your army over there before they attack. Drop a dark shrine and a bunch of extra gateways at the start of the mission. (I used 6) and start spamming dark templar.

Make a wall of them at each entrance and tell them to hold position. The units won't be able to get past and the templar will just rip them up. When you get enough to block off every entrance it should be about the time where you can make void rays. Transition to those instead.

Start saving regularly at this point while pumping out void rays and using excess minerals to drop tons of cannons in your main base for when you pull back at around the 25 minute mark. Overseers will start coming regularly at this point and if one reaches your dark templar wall they'll break through. Just snipe the overseer with all your air units then back off so the templars kill everything else. If you miss an overseer just reload your save and remember where he comes out so you can snipe him.

Once you can make carriers build those instead of void rays. After you back up to your main its just a matter of spamming cannons with excess minerals and killing overseer packs before all your dark templar die. With a ton of carriers and void rays + mothership you can get a good 300 kills alone from just abusing the AoE cloak.

I kept failing this mission at around 2300 kills before trying this strategy, then I got to 3266. Hope this wall of text helps, good luck.

Reply Quote
I had a hell of a hard time on this one. I ended up cheesing most of it.

Remember where the first few waves come from. Move your army over there before they attack. Drop a dark shrine and a bunch of extra gateways at the start of the mission. (I used 6) and start spamming dark templar.

Make a wall of them at each entrance and tell them to hold position. The units won't be able to get past and the templar will just rip them up. When you get enough to block off every entrance it should be about the time where you can make void rays. Transition to those instead.

Start saving regularly at this point while pumping out void rays and using excess minerals to drop tons of cannons in your main base for when you pull back at around the 25 minute mark. Overseers will start coming regularly at this point and if one reaches your dark templar wall they'll break through. Just snipe the overseer with all your air units then back off so the templars kill everything else. If you miss an overseer just reload your save and remember where he comes out so you can snipe him.

Once you can make carriers build those instead of void rays. After you back up to your main its just a matter of spamming cannons with excess minerals and killing overseer packs before all your dark templar die. With a ton of carriers and void rays + mothership you can get a good 300 kills alone from just abusing the AoE cloak.

I kept failing this mission at around 2300 kills before trying this strategy, then I got to 3266. Hope this wall of text helps, good luck.
Thanks.
Reply Quote
Pull back immediately and wall off with dts at midway down the ramp and gateways at the top, with cannons behind. Build enough probes to fully saturate the minerals/gas, and pump colossus and void rays, with cannons scattered around your base.

Enjoy 3400 kills
Reply Quote
First, make sure you make lots of probe to ensure good economy, and make double forge and cyb core to speedy the upgrade.

I was just making tons of colossi, and after carriers available just switch to them. I would block the entrance with each 3 gateway. Use phoenix to gravitate hybrid often.

After 25 minutes, just stand back at the higher ramp, and block the entrance with 4-6 gateway each, and replace them every time they got destroyed.

You should get 3000+.
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVy3Ewwlu3I

The easiest way to do it. The key is getting those cannons built. . . and rebuilt.

If you don't get at least one of the chokes blocked with cannons by the time the big push comes, you're screwed. You can fall back once Artanis shows up, but if you haven't got the base setup by then, you're probably hosed. Falling back into the base can be helpful; just clump up under the Mothership and buckle-up.
Reply Quote
My #1 most despised mission in the SC2 campaign... "Utter Darkness".

For me:

- Doubled upgrade (offensive & shields) production at start.
- Trained about 5-10 extra Probes.
- Hot keyed a "ground" force & an "air" force.
- Massed Colossi & Voids.
- Built Cannons (on high grounds & a few at bridges) while waiting on gas.
- Always use Phoenix Graviton Beams on Hybrids.

* It seems to be that the longer you can hold the outer edges of your base [w/Cannons] the longer you'll last. Once the Zerg take the lower ground they'll pound relentlessly at the upper ground.

Have at & good luck!

* Yes, I still despise this mission. // Grrrrrrrrrrr!
Reply Quote

* Yes, I still despise this mission. // Grrrrrrrrrrr!

The first time trying this on brutal, I hated this thing with a fiery passion, I thought it was by far the most difficult mission. The second time I went through on one shot and found myself thinking; "What was the big deal?"

It is a tough mission, perhaps second toughest, but with good skills and a little planning, it's do-able. It's not as tough as the air version of All In.
Reply Quote
i kept on building dark temlars, imortals and phoniexs
Reply Quote
It's prudent to re-train any lost Phoenix units.

Just build collosi.

Nothing else.

3 robos.

All game.

And keep your hero air units and the air units they bring alive for anti air and once you max collosi, just spam cannons and keep building. It's really easy once you know that.

It's prudent to re-train any lost Phoenix units.

Other wise I agree, except with the "really easy" bit. It's not, it's still one of the more difficult missions.
Reply Quote
So...Has anyone beat it on brutal, saved the archives and gotten the +750 kills? >.> I would like to see that
Reply Quote
Not too sure if that's possible to get all of that in one run...

(and now that I've said that someone will prove me wrong - did you see what I just did there?)

xD
Reply Quote
12/12/2011 09:55 PMPosted by Xombie
So...Has anyone beat it on brutal, saved the archives and gotten the +750 kills? >.> I would like to see that

Yes.

Its pretty simple. Just train pho, void rays and make spare gateway units with extra cash while pumping all air and ground upgrades at a time. use the phoenixes well to lift their big hitting units and voila.
Reply Quote
12/13/2011 07:34 AMPosted by Azire
I'm pretty sure I have mastered In Utter Darkness lol.

Hats off and thumbs up to ya! I'd love to watch a vid, if you can get it up and running. Utter was indeed utter for me, so seeing someone else stomp a mud hole in it would bring a smile to my face!

xD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]