StarCraft® II

Neutrino experiment repeat at Cern

Finds the same result!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236

This is so exciting.

This could potentially be another giant leap of mankind.

In fact, this would actually be the biggest achievement of all times if it were to be proven true!

I'm so looking forward to a vacation in Andromeda. Muahahaha
Reply Quote
Apparently you didn't read any of the 80 critique responses, also on arxive. The revised experiment only addressed a small handful of the criticisms.

For instance, 60 nanoseconds difference is 60 feet of travel for a photon in a vacuum. A number of assumptions were made in the original distance measurement that might well account for a 60 foot difference.
Reply Quote
Finds the same result!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236

This is so exciting.

This could potentially be another giant leap of mankind.

In fact, this would actually be the biggest achievement of all times if it were to be proven true!

I'm so looking forward to a vacation in Andromeda. Muahahaha

This isnt a major leap for mankind it has no apllication for real world purposes....im my eyes i doubt will see anything good coming out of this...maybe 100 years from now.

Really? I disagree.

This discovery (if proven true) could unveil a lot of unexplained phenomena in our Universe.

It will effectively change the study of 'Physics' as we know. To me this is huge.

Also, it's easy to throw random speculations and numbers, like you said 100 years, but take a look at how much we have achieved in the past 50 years. Actually, just look at past 10 years.

It only takes 1 discovery to change the world.
Reply Quote
depending on the results of this experiment we could be capable of building time machines within the decade. Admittedly we could only send back messages not objects but still.
Edited by Necromaster on 11/18/2011 11:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
Apparently you didn't read any of the 80 critique responses, also on arxive. The revised experiment only addressed a small handful of the criticisms.

For instance, 60 nanoseconds difference is 60 feet of travel for a photon in a vacuum. A number of assumptions were made in the original distance measurement that might well account for a 60 foot difference.

Okay, I've heard that argument before lol

I didn't say the experiment actually proved anything so apparently you didn't read my post all that thoroughly either.

And the scientists trying to disprove the result from the experiment, because they are skeptical too.

here's a quote for you.

The initial series of experiments, comprising 15,000 separate measurements spread out over three years
Reply Quote
so einstein wasnt a genius afterall.
Reply Quote
11/18/2011 11:28 AMPosted by Underdog
Also, it's easy to throw random speculations and numbers, like you said 100 years, but take a look at how much we have achieved in the past 50 years. Actually, just look at past 10 years.

50 years ago, people though we would be exploring outer space by now (with manned vehicles)

11/18/2011 11:36 AMPosted by SOMETHING
Fusion

Ice -> water?

Neutrinos barely interact with matter
Andromeda is ~ 2.5mi light-years from here
The faster you are, the slower you age (comparing "faster" people with "slower" people)
So yeah, you'd return from your vacation and the Sun would have already "died"

I though they repeated this experiment over a hundred times. Well, if you're trying to prove/find something sooo great, you have to be 100% the experiments are correct
edit: yes,
The initial series of experiments, comprising 15,000 separate measurements spread out over three years,
Edited by HuMoDz on 11/18/2011 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
what i consider "Giants leaps for Mankind"

Wireless Power
Replacement for Fossil Fuels
Fusion
Eradication of diseases (cancer aids...etc)
Alien Contact
World Hunger

no offense, sounds like you majored in social studies or something.

Though I agree some of the ideas you threw up there would be big achievements

wireless power - never heard of nikola tesla? the idea was scrapped because there is no way of keeping track of usage. check. (edit: actually in this case earth is the conductor so not true wireless power. there is however, something similar aka lightning strike. GL controlling that.)

replacement for fossil fuels - already exists, check.

fusion technology - already exists, check

alien contact - will be made possible if neutrino experiment is proven, check

World Hunger - solving world hunger would be possible if people weren't driven by self-interests. Also Improvements in technology can solve this, nuclear warfare can solve this. I think this is another subject that belongs to another discussion.

Eradication of diseases - leave this to the bio-tech department, check.

what else you got :p
Edited by Underdog on 11/18/2011 11:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/18/2011 11:51 AMPosted by Underdog

What's the point about neutrinos and space travels?
To me, it basically proves that the max speed you can reach isn't the light's
It can be neutrino's speed, though. No space travel 4 u :(

Also, just because these stuff already exist, does that kill the status of a "giant leap for mankind"?

wireless power - never heard of nikola tesla? the idea was scrapped because there is no way of keeping track of usage. check. (edit: actually in this case earth is the conductor so not true wireless power. there is however, something similar aka lightning strike. GL controlling that.)

You can use electromagnetic waves for wireless transmissions of energy
Light
Laser
Microwaves

Offense? lol

Just tell me, how could you use neutrinos for space travel or something like that?
Reply Quote

What's the point about neutrinos and space travels?
To me, it basically proves that the max speed you can reach isn't the light's
It can be neutrino's speed, though. No space travel 4 u :(

Also, just because these stuff already exist, does that kill the status of a "giant leap for mankind"?

Light
Laser
Microwaves

Offense? lol

Just tell me, how could you use neutrinos for space travel or something like that?

Oh boy, where to start...

first of all,

Though I agree some of the ideas you threw up there would be big achievements

for your argument

and

Light
Laser
Microwaves

so you want your room to be a flashbang chamber, or covered with high intensity laser beam, or a ... microwave? lol

and

Offense? lol

some people do take offense to that. so i said no offense. (because social studies is not a real major. i'm sorry for hating but i've met some (but not all, some are quite intelligent and know exactly where they stand) really unintelligent people who majored in social studies. Very frustrating to deal with.)
Edited by Underdog on 11/18/2011 12:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
Either way, I don't think this necessarily disproves what Einstein said. E=mc^2 is very applicable and the world would be completely different without it. If anything this would prove that E=mc^2 is just a small subset of something completely bigger.

There are lots of oddities in space that we don't have a grasp of and understanding the idea that there is a bigger picture to e=mc^2 could really generate some historic leaps.

Or this experiment is wrong (which it very well could be) and we're wasting our time.
Reply Quote
11/18/2011 12:07 PMPosted by TejasEagle
Either way, I don't think this necessarily disproves what Einstein said. E=mc^2 is very applicable and the world would be completely different without it. If anything this would prove that E=mc^2 is just a small subset of something completely bigger.

Yes! I agree. :)
Edited by Underdog on 11/18/2011 12:09 PM PST
Reply Quote

Tesla could transmit electricity wirelessly at high frequency or through the earth at the frequency the Earth resonates at. This technology is finally being developed commercially today after being suppressed for 100 years. They have wireless recharging stations for phones and what not now.

Tesla also invented AC current. Edison originally wanted to use DC current with MASSIVE wires and huge heat losses. But Tesla came up with the idea of stepping the voltage up to decrease the heat losses when power was transferred over long distances then stepping the voltage back down when it comes into your house.
Edited by Khobai on 11/18/2011 12:21 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]