StarCraft® II

Broodwar vs Starcraft 2....

Which on you find to be the most entertaining gameplay as zerg and why?
Reply Quote
Do you work for the Blizzard Census?
Reply Quote
BW hands down. Zerg were a complete army with a good general purpose unit, and area control unit, a good aoe damage dealing spell caster thats also has a defensive or offensive use spell to support the zerg army, better scouting options and still less reliant on having to know EXACTLY what the other player was making.

SC2 zerg no general purpose unit (hydras dont exist for all real purposes), poor scouting mixed with the need to know what the other player is making to counter, weaker aoe damage spell, no supportive spell, no area control unit.
Reply Quote
BW hands down. Zerg were a complete army with a good general purpose unit, and area control unit, a good aoe damage dealing spell caster thats also has a defensive or offensive use spell to support the zerg army, better scouting options and still less reliant on having to know EXACTLY what the other player was making.

SC2 zerg no general purpose unit (hydras dont exist for all real purposes), poor scouting mixed with the need to know what the other player is making to counter, weaker aoe damage spell, no supportive spell, no area control unit.

I myself preferred the gameplay of broodwar even though i was a lower league player back then, but i just want to get a general idea of what the community think and your post is noted, i think its going to massively swing the way of broodwar for zerg players imo.
Reply Quote

Eh, you could easily make the argument that the Zergling is the general purpose unit. It doesn't hit air, which is unfortunate, but it's still a cheap and effective T1 that sees use in all phases of the game.
Reply Quote
Trouble is BW was the 'original' zerg and anything after will have a difficult time competing in our heads. Just the nature of our psyche.

To me, brood war zerg felt more 'zergy' but then again, that is when 'zerg' was invented, so of course its the most orthodox zerg. It cant be any other way. Its the original zerg.

However, I do think the HotS zerg will 'compete' for lack of a better term with BW zerg much better. We get psuedo dark swarm back and abilities to more directly engage an opponent. Ultras get scary again. Right now zerg is all about speed and picking apart an enemy. I have a hunch that the swarm will be able to more reliably go toe to toe and just crush the enemy in a more stylisticly zerg fashion in HotS.

We get a little piece of the old zerg back, but keep our super enhanced production (inject larvae has got to be the the coolest new 'zergy' thing in SC2). We already have remaxing/massive tech switches/production edge over the old BW zerg thanks to queens. I think the creep mechanic in SC2(though tedious) is a great idea. Give us the viper to directly engage an enemy and were back baby! Maybe even stronger ^_^

I really like some of the new ideas for zerg in the creep and queen area. Covering a map in goop that scares your enemy as it chokes them out and gives vision like your really invading/infesting them is awesome. Zerg is more powerful on it. It really is alive, it can see you and alert the swarm. You have to actually burn it out to advance. That is awesome and super zergy! Ratcheting up production via queens is just cool. Once we can strike fear into toss/terran with our actual army, we will be zerg again. They are already afraid of fighting on our 'terf' on creep. Soon they will have to fear us anywhere :)
Edited by Banalaty on 11/28/2011 12:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/28/2011 03:37 PMPosted by Nasreth
is simply less stressful to play than the original.

Since when?

o_O
Reply Quote
^ I know, right?
Reply Quote
How about we save this discussion for a few years later when Starcraft 2 is actually done? XD

We have lots of units to be added, a few to be taken away, and many many many balance patches before Starcraft 2 will be umm...fully evolved.

Post this in 3-6 years OP. The discussion will be better.
Reply Quote
11/28/2011 04:17 PMPosted by Geo
SC2 Zerg are way too supply heavy and are not a swarm at all.

Yeah I noticed this from going back to play Starcraft: BroodWar. I can understand why Zerg can't be swarmy as they use to be, just because the system requirements are much higher, and Starcraft 2 doesn't support multi-cores :/ I wish Starcraft 2 Zerg was better, but Broodwar Zerg is better.
Reply Quote
Why I like Starcraft 2 better:

5 Hatcheries in one control group.
30+ Zerglings in one control group.
Reply Quote
Why I like Starcraft 2 better:

5 Hatcheries in one control group.
30+ Zerglings in one control group.

Proff that queen larva inject rocks.

Also, for this reason, nydus worms, and a few other things, I like SC2 better. HotS will be even more awesome since we're getting Swarm Host and Viper.

Edit: derp, said Locust instead of Swarm Host :P
Edited by Setho on 12/6/2011 3:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
I prefer the Zerg units in Brood War, but Sc2 has way better gameplay.
Reply Quote
To me BW zerg had a more A-Move swarm feel to it with a hint of micro if you want that level of excitement to your gameplay, but SC2 zerg feels like an unswarmy microfest, more like playing BW terran without the wall-off.
Reply Quote
Anyone who ever watched or played BW is going to say broodwar. People who don't have a clue what they are talking about, say SC2.

That said, I'm going to say SC2. You can guess what game I didn't play.

edit: that said, I never was a fan of the lurker. I always thought it was the dumbest unit ever (i did play bw a small bit, never competitively or ladder, just customs as a kid). It didn't feel zerg like at all, it was just a siege tank, and I don't like using siege tanks. I think banelings are much cooler than lurkers, and glad they removed it, although zerg does need space control.
Edited by Belial on 11/30/2011 12:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Brood War is the better game in general. If only it had the better controls of SC2...

As for Zerg, they are more fun in Brood War. Not only can they really get the swarm going, but they have the lurker which is a good cloaked attacker/defender, makes hydras more useful, and is good against early rushes.

Brood War Zerg feel Zergier, I liked that Devourers and Guardians morphed from Mutalisks, and Defilers were cool even if I never learned how to use them very well. Also, and this is more aesthetic, I just liked the sound effects of the old game better, and that's expecially true with Zerg.

That said, I like the new Queen abilities (but again, swarming is still less of a thing in the new game), I like the Baneling upgrade, and Roaches are a nice touch, even if they cost basically what Hydras used to cost and can't shoot at air. I like the mobility of defense colonies, and I totally think it's fair to have Overlords not automatically be able to detect cloakers.

Disclaimer: I mostly play against the computer AI, and this is WAY better in Brood War than in SC2. More skirmishing, less predictable, more static defenses, and just all around better play by computer AI in Brood War except for a couple of glitchy things. This part of the game really suffered in SC2, and Terrans so far have the distinct advantage over Zerg (and a bit over Protoss).

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]