StarCraft® II

SC2 Paid Name Changes

The Free Name changes were announced back in August of 2010 here: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/572264

They were released early in that same year in November here: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/1050211

That took 3 months to implement, and I feel that another free name change should be awarded to all users or release an actual time frame. I believe if you are capable of free name changes, there shouldn't be much structure to modify along those lines but strictly payment processing/authorizing sided.

I don't believe that this should be taking this long, it's a joke. You guys would make a lot more money off it.

/Rant
Reply Quote
- StarCraft
I believe if you are capable of free name changes, there shouldn't be much structure to modify along those lines but strictly payment processing/authorizing sided.

I don't believe that this should be taking this long, it's a joke.

Its not as simple as just "unlocking" the feature for use, especially when money is involved. It is very much not a joke.

Though it isn't really terribly relevant, I will start out with a side tangent:

There is a reason you weren't given the ability to change your name. They want you to choose your name responsibly and to stick with it so you retain a sense of identity in the community. They don't want gibberish names, either - thats why the characters you can use are limited, and more than one person can have the same name. They don't want to to resort to making your name CCG_Fanat1c_0_ because your original name and other variations were taken.

Of course, they still implemented one free name change so that those who made a typo in their name or didn't realize the gravity of their choice could have a second chance.

Now, there are still good reasons as to why you would want a name change. One I often see is that you've used a name change already and you are either joining, leaving, or switching clans.

The fix to that, however, would be to implement clan support, not paid name changes. In many cases the underlying problems have other solutions, and the right thing to do isn't just to give players the ability to throw money at them if they want a new name.

Perhaps they will decide that, after certain other features are introduced, it would be better to simply give more name changes periodically instead of implement paid name changes. Perhaps they think the best thing to do would be allow unlimited name changes, but set a limit on how long you have to wait between name changes. Perhaps, on top of these things, they feel it would be necessary to to implement a feature where you can see what previous names a person has had.

Now, if and when they came to the conclusion that paid name changes is the correct way to go - and it doesn't need to wait for other features like clan support - there is still a lot left to do.

• 1. They have to decide how much it will cost, as well as other specifics - similar to the things I was talking about before. It can't be unreasonably priced, but at the same time, it needs to be expensive enough to enforce the responsibility I mentioned before. Perhaps other related features ought to be shipped with it in order for it to feel complete.

• 2. Again, with money involved it is not simple. It is not a joke. While the ability to change your name once exists currently, in order to make paid name changes they need to change a lot internally. Implementing the feature, especially since it deals with money, is not something that can be done quickly or rushed.

• 3. Decide the priority and importance of the feature, to see when they should work on it. Even if the feature only took 3 months, thats 3 months of development time taken away from Heart of the Swarm or other projects; which are of far greater importance. Perhaps, for an example, they also feel that Clan Support should be implemented before the name change feature.

• They said similar things in their own post: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3229033487

As with any feature, however, it remains a matter of scheduling it among our other development projects before it can be introduced.

Anyway, your feedback on the matter is appreciated.

I do encourage you to continue to remind them how important this feature is to you.

Just try to keep your feedback constructive - consider that there may be actual reasons as to why this feature isn't implemented yet, and its not because the devs are treating it as a "Joke"

Cheers,

- TheSkunk

P.S: Woop, this was longer then necessary. =P
    Edited by TheSkunk on 11/28/2011 11:30 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Long paragraph short blizzard is making enough money off of WoW patches the time is best spent there. QFT
    Reply Quote
    As for #1, Blizzard has a marketing team to set pricing strategies. What do your customers perceive to be a fair value and provides max profits to blizzard? Id say $10 sounds reasonable. High enough to force players to choose their names wisely; low enough to be "reasonable" in the customer's mind.

What major changes should Blizzard have to make internally for paid named changes? Use an online shopping cart, program the system to identify if the user has already changed their name, and if they have, give them another name change on the account services website. Obviously this change has not been on the list of Blizzard's priorities.
    Edited by Thumper on 12/16/2011 11:52 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    MVP - StarCraft
    Well yes, if it was a priority it could've been done by now. No debating that. Was just giving some food for thought ;D

I think they have bigger plans in mind for names, though.

Battletags were recently announced: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battletagfaq

Some quotes:

We plan to provide a way for players to change their BattleTags in the future, but we don't have any further details to share just yet.

We're still in the process of determining how we will handle StarCraft II character names once BattleTags are integrated into the game.

Basically its a unified name across all battle.net games.

My guess is that they'll wait for this feature to be completed before they add names changes.

Obviously Battletags are a whole new can of worms - this is what I was getting at when I first wrote my post: They might have bigger plans in mind or other features they want to precede the name change function. Because of that, it might not be as simple as it seems.

I was not trying to say they could not have added name changes by now if they wanted too, though. :P

Reply Quote
    I need a name change for the new clan i joined, Sphere. And you mentioned this was a viable reason Skunk. I put in a ticket just now, but I was just wanting to reinforce your statement that people are here that need name changes for clans.
    Reply Quote
    12/17/2011 08:18 AMPosted by TheSkunk
    I was not trying to say they could not have added name changes by now if they wanted too, though. :P

Right, much like they were not going to add chat channels, that was a HUGE success.

It is rather irritating though, I understand Blizzard not wanting there to be a flood of aliases like in Brood War or Wc3 but I think they've hit a missed a huge hindsight with not even giving us the option to have clan tags.

I don't want to have to buy an account everytime I join a new clan, although Blizzard would probably love for me to. I already know a good amount of players who have had to resort to this because of issues with their sponsors or management in their clan.
    Reply Quote
    MVP - StarCraft
    It is rather irritating though, I understand Blizzard not wanting there to be a flood of aliases like in Brood War or Wc3 but I think they've hit a missed a huge hindsight with not even giving us the option to have clan tags.

I don't want to have to buy an account everytime I join a new clan, although Blizzard would probably love for me to. I already know a good amount of players who have had to resort to this because of issues with their sponsors or management in their clan.

Same, especially with SC2 being an eSport the lack of clan support is a bit disappointing. Its still something they plan to add, but I wish they would've at least shown or mentioned it at the last Blizzcon. ;P

How to Write a Good "Technical Issue" Report: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3342014170
    Heart of the Swarm Information Thread: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2510611710?page=1
    Reply Quote
    MVP
    01/03/2012 11:58 AMPosted by TheSkunk
    but I wish they would've at least shown or mentioned it at the last Blizzcon. ;P

They mentioned that they're still intent on adding Clans, but it won't be done by the release of D3, it'll much be later. I'm thinking probably not even for HotS.
    Reply Quote
    Blizzard will not implement paid name changes because they make more money selling the game again to people who want a name change and get it from buying another copy of sc2 for 50 bucks. They make more money this way.
    Reply Quote
    Just a guess, but I'm thinking less than 1/6th of the people that would use a paid name change would buy the game again just for a new name.
    Reply Quote
    Name changes should be free on a cooldown. Like once per season. Or once every three seasons. Something like that. If people need to change their name sooner than that, they should be able to pay for it. No excuses.
    Reply Quote
    MVP
    02/19/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Moritsuna
    I agree, but when can this come out??? Lol

Well, they did just offer another round of free name changes..
    Reply Quote
    Wait, so I can change my name again??

I changed my first name because it wasn't bad, but wasn't good.
    My most common alias is HiveTyrant36, but I decided to go with my new one, PheonixReavr (both typos on purpose)
    However, I did not feel like these names attributed to my Starcraft side, thus, Cerebrate.
    I always thought that I would be a Cerebrate in the SC BW world.

Love my name, but the ability to change it every now and again is nice, regardless of cost.
    Very informative post guys, I think I can wait a bit longer until I change my name one last time.
    Reply Quote
    MVP
    You should be able to change your name again then, yes, they gave out another name change.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]