StarCraft® II

map editor WAYYYYYY to complicated

so i solved my previous problem already and had fun messing around with unit values like speed and weapons and stuff like that etc..

after that i felt confident so i decided to try and make a custom unit not form scratch though
although i have no idea how to add weapons or anything so i made a custom unit off of a immortal

it was easy(ish) until i decided to test to my horror i discovered that i had to modify allot more than weapons and values I HAD TO FREAKING ADD IN A BAZILLION ACTORS FOR EVERYTHING weapons,movement,and then an actor for the little profile screen thing honestly its just incredibly advanced

apparently its as close to the XML scripting language as you can get i know LUA but thats alot more simpler that this sunuva gun

really i would like blizzard to do 1 thing and 1 thing only
add a NEWBIE mode really since i heard on some othe forums that the WC3
editor was simpler i think it should be something like that so please blizzard ADD A NEWBIE MODE
Reply Quote
has to be complicated to make you able to make complex interesting maps
Reply Quote
12/07/2011 04:55 PMPosted by Lux
Reply Quote
12/07/2011 04:55 PMPosted by Lux

sure i know THAT but its pretty dang advanced people said on some other forum that the wc3 editor was simpler and easier as well as n00b freindly
Reply Quote
IMO Sc1's editor was a great balance between noob friendly and complex. After about 30 minutes or so of testing I was able to make an entire installation scenario (I never got around to mission breifings though, it was easy but the timing of everything had to be perfect.) Before the computer that Sc1 was loaded on was hit by lightning to death I was in the middle if a "Hero Fight" game. Cool stuff.
Reply Quote
Yup, sc2 edit is very complicated. But once you get the hang of it, its pretty amazing. You can do all sorts of weird stuffs with the editor. I'm having way way more fun discovering what new stuffs to do with the editor.

One of my most proudest achievement is making a weapon that shoots a rainbow football with a diablo riding on top it and circle the caster in a spiral pattern while lobbing random glowing fruits to the ground when an enemy is in range of the rainbow football. And after the spiral, the rainbow football explodes into a giant fountain of fruits. Fun. :)

Currently, playing around with importing custom models...and hopefully get some cool stuffs made with custom models later on...
Reply Quote
Yup, sc2 edit is very complicated. But once you get the hang of it, its pretty amazing. You can do all sorts of weird stuffs with the editor. I'm having way way more fun discovering what new stuffs to do with the editor.

One of my most proudest achievement is making a weapon that shoots a rainbow football with a diablo riding on top it and circle the caster in a spiral pattern while lobbing random glowing fruits to the ground when an enemy is in range of the rainbow football. And after the spiral, the rainbow football explodes into a giant fountain of fruits. Fun. :)

Currently, playing around with importing custom models...and hopefully get some cool stuffs made with custom models later on...

Ya know orange, I spent last 3 years figuring out custom models (granted a lot of quitting and comming back to it). I can show you the basics as well as programs that will not make you want to kill yourself when making the meshes :)

I'm trying to make a World War 2 Dependency that mappers can add to their map, players have a 1-time download of 20 mb or so and then they can use all our amazing WW2 Units :). Even better because the way we are doing them has proven to cause less lag than the blizzad ones :)

Also thinking of porting over the entire WC3 library of models into a dependency. They are older so they don't take up as much space (due to lower texture resolution) but are optimized already for RTS (unlike the wow models which cause no end of memory leaks and lag).

So if you'd like to get in on any of this I can show ya what to do :)

We've made it to the animation stage but stopped there because we are gonna wait for Hots tools.

Here is one port I and another guy did: http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/Terrain031.jpg

Here are some of our custom models:
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/Terrain056.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/Carrier_1b.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/Tiger2_1b.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/WW2Diplo_IS2_1a.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/m4a3e8_1A.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/Screenshot2011-11-1100_12_36.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/Terrain055.jpg

Event the UI model :):
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i333/marshallwellington/Screenshot2011-07-2119_34_16-1.jpg
Reply Quote
12/07/2011 08:54 PMPosted by iMoDoomerX
IMO Sc1's editor was a great balance between noob friendly and complex. After about 30 minutes or so of testing I was able to make an entire installation scenario (I never got around to mission breifings though, it was easy but the timing of everything had to be perfect.) Before the computer that Sc1 was loaded on was hit by lightning to death I was in the middle if a "Hero Fight" game. Cool stuff.

StarEdit (the SC1 Editor) was not complex whatsoever, especially when comparing it to the GalaxyEditor, or even WorldEdit. Almost nobody used the original SC1 editor when making SC1 maps really, :/.
Reply Quote
Actually, I was talking about using custom models and animations in conjuction with the sc2 editor and not just importing custom models. I can animate and create models. Right now, I'm just replacing a special forces map with my own custom models with animations from WoW. Still had to manually edit some animations to use guns though.

Here's a couple ideas to show what I mean:
1) A side-ways fighting game using keyboard + mouse. The idea is the player can aim and click with the mouse and through the use of blending and actor messages, animate the character according to player actions. I think it can be done, sc2 supports blending between different animations so characters can have smooth animations.

2) Using attachments to create a 'unique' model. This would be the contiuation of the starcruiser map. Instead of attaching different models using triggers, going to use a custom model with a bunch of attachement points. Then use triggers to manually put actor models on each attachment point to create a unique unit. That would be a more efficient way of making a new 'starcruiser'. The problem with starcruiser right now is, its badly made with its attachment trigger method. Also instead of using default sc2 models, can create my own models now to better fit the unit. And can have different damage states to really show how battered the ship is.
Reply Quote
12/08/2011 02:02 PMPosted by FockeWulf
Ya know orange, I spent last 3 years figuring out custom models (granted a lot of quitting and comming back to it). I can show you the basics as well as programs that will not make you want to kill yourself when making the meshes :)

i started with gmax. that program was very difficult to work wiht however i did some searching and found blender and absolutely loved it. thier website has a ton of tutorials and help material and for me the UI in blender was fairly easy to understand. although unless its been completed yet (blendm3) blender cannot yet export as m3 but can import m3
Edited by CptHavoc on 12/8/2011 4:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
I hated Blender, and I hate 3dmax with a firey passion, bordering on religion.

My stress ball poped...

But I'm a CADD person. I grew up on CADD (literally. Remember Generic CADD? You know where to erase something you typed "er"?). Graphics editing software works on a different theory and I hate it.

Anyways I'm trying to export into sc2 so about my only option is to use 3dmax.

And BTW last I heard the guys making both the 3ds and the blender import/export scripts stopped.
Edited by FockeWulf on 12/9/2011 1:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2011 01:46 PMPosted by FockeWulf
And BTW last I heard the guys making both the 3ds and the blender import/export scripts stopped.

aww.....I was really looking forward to making my own sc2 models with something that I have some idea of how to use
Reply Quote
12/09/2011 06:51 PMPosted by CptHavoc

aww.....I was really looking forward to making my own sc2 models with something that I have some idea of how to use

Meh, I hate 3dmax with a firey passion.
Reply Quote
Blizzard did make an annoucment they are considering making a Wizard for Create new Unit Funcionality.
Reply Quote
12/10/2011 01:32 AMPosted by FockeWulf
Meh, I hate 3dmax with a firey passion.

if its anything like gmax then i do too. ive heard that gmax was just a stripped down version of 3dsmax

btw....another issue i have with 3dsmax is the price. its ridiculous
Reply Quote
"If the brain was so simple that we could understand it, we'd be so simple that we couldn't."
a smart guy said that, you could turn it into:
"If the map editor was so simple that n00bs could understand it, then the maps would be so simple that nobody would want to use it."
Reply Quote
I agree with SC2 map editor being way to complicated. Wc3 had comparable functionality and was way easier to use. Some of the stuff in galaxy editor just isn't logical. You have a unit, then you have a different section for his weapon, and the damage that weapon does is in a separate section called effects. Did I mention effects can also do a wide range of other things?

Seriously, and compare that with wc3 world editor. Unit, damage, range, period, effect - all under the same unit?! crazy.

I finally got the hang of this crap but damn it took awhile. If you can't even copy a unit without going into the actors and modifying values something is wrong. It was too weird for even Blizzard to automatically change the values to allow you to copy a unit via ctrl C, ctrl V (or duplicate unit).

Model, name, token? get the hell out of here.
Reply Quote
I like to make custom campaigns when i'm bored but i only do it for SC1/BW because I can barely figure out basic triggers with the SC2 Editor.
Reply Quote
12/11/2011 05:22 PMPosted by StarFox
WcIII's map editor was very strait forward, there wasn't much to figure out... and it allowed you to do a great deal of stuff... you got work done quickly with that editor...

Coming from SC1 mapping, I thought the War3 editor was TLDR. As we progress, the Editor's will just get better, more powerful, and more complex. It's bad for learning, but great for producing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]