StarCraft® II

Brutal Playthrough

Hello ladies and gentleman,

I'm new here. So firstly I'd like to apologize if this is taboo or unwanted. However I thought that since this is the WoL campaign subforum, that this would be the appropriate place. I have a small youtube channel, focusing on playthroughs and.. just random stuff. I've done I believe 4 or 5 missions of Starcraft II on Brutal difficulty so far, and I'm just now starting to get the rendering right so that it looks good. (Had some problems with 4:3 vs 16:9 so even though they are all 1080p, some of the videos, or rather all of them up til now, are surrounded by a black border to emulate the setting it's not supposed to be.) Also the commentary MIGHT.. *Cough* be a tad bit dry.
There are reasons for this. Most of which you don't care about, so who cares! The next missions will be rendered correctly with better audio (I think I've figured out how to make them so you can hear me and the game, easily)
So without further ado, youtube.com/thinkingshard NOT for all your SCII needs, however, maybe, one day. I hope to do a series that takes me from gold to masters or at least high diamond in 1v1, and then a separate series that has me doing cheese. Classy cheese though. No 6 pools, no, that's boring... However... What about.. DT rushes, I don't see them that often... Or... Battlecruisers, because who doesn't love lasers? And who loves Thor drops? Not me. I don't know how to play anything but Protoss... But I'd do anything if it's cheese.... MarineSCV all in... has not failed me yet... but then again, I'm gold.
Also doing a Batman Arkham City playthrough, will pick up on some old stuff after WoL and Batman are done. Until then though...

This has been Thinkings Hard.... And I really suck at my intro's and conclusions!

*P.S. I know I suck right now, so no need to be overly harsh, but if you DO watch it, and have suggestions for how I can improve the entertainment quality, by all means, I would LOVE to be more entertaining.

TL; DR

youtube.com/thinkingshard
Edited by Aces on 12/1/2011 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks Azire. I'll be sure to do that. About the video names, It's a series, so I kind of like it this way, just saying Starcraft II WoL 5... Maybe I'll rename it Starcraft II WoL Brutal 5 or something, but yeah, mentioning the achievements, and maybe going for them, will probably be for the best, entertainment wise.
Edited by Aces on 12/3/2011 10:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
I see. I understand and have made the corrections. Thank you for pointing that out, it would have gone completely past me.
Reply Quote
These are pretty cool, Aces. Keep em' comin'!

Reply Quote
Thanks a lot Sheppard. I'm actually uploading he 6th, and I believe it's the best to date. You'll get it sometime Monday 12/5/11 probably around 8 AM EST. Hope you like it, because I'm going to do all of the things!! And because Azire inspired me, I'm going to see about going for all the the achievements too!
Reply Quote
You earned another subscriber :D
Reply Quote
Hey! Thanks! I'm actually just finishing a paper for english then I'll be doing some more gaming. Maybe another quest to platinum. I do have a 2v2 match I want to show you guys just for the laughs, however the render aborted while I was sleeping...
Reply Quote
Outbreak is my favorite mission in the campaign...

I did feel sorry for you SCV that was on the outside of the bunkers... Poor Stan... or was that Mike? (xD)

I like that you took the expo - I do that too. So much fun. I did find it interesting to see the level played through w/'Rines, Firebats, & Medics as opposed to Reapers or something - I understand that would mean saving the mission for later, but... It was a cool play through! It lends credence to completing a good bit of the missions w/just that!

The candid commentary is fun too... Very cool!

Reply Quote
Outbreak is my favorite mission in the campaign...

I did feel sorry for you SCV that was on the outside of the bunkers... Poor Stan... or was that Mike? (xD)

I like that you took the expo - I do that too. So much fun. I did find it interesting to see the level played through w/'Rines, Firebats, & Medics as opposed to Reapers or something - I understand that would mean saving the mission for later, but... It was a cool play through! It lends credence to completing a good bit of the missions w/just that!

The candid commentary is fun too... Very cool!

I took this early on my first playthrough, and went back later to beat it on Brutal, building marine/medic/hellion before I had ever heard of anyone using reapers or tanks or w/e on this level.

Marines are so good that most of the campaign levels can be Brutalized quite handily with marine/medic/unit-introduced-for-that-level. I've finished over half of the Brutal campaign so far doing just that.
Edited by Symphony on 12/7/2011 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/07/2011 12:13 PMPosted by Symphony
Marines are so good that most of the campaign levels can be Brutalized quite handily with marine/medic/unit-introduced-for-that-level. I've finished over half of the Brutal campaign so far doing just that.

I've read that a bunch and keep meaning to play through a campaign using mostly that (using Marines), but I get caught up in the moment of preferable playing mechanics and forget to... Hahaha!
Reply Quote
Marines, medics, tanks, mission unit. Those are the ones you need.
Reply Quote
Really, you can skip the tanks. They're sexy, and they're such a security blanket for base defense that's hard to give up, but they're sooo expensive. You always need marines as the backbone of your army, but beyond that, most missions are specifically designed for one particular support unit to be awesome. Trying to make tanks will eat up so much gas that you'll severely limit yourself in how much of the unit du jour you can make, and/or severely slow down your upgrades, and in most cases the level will actually get harder than it needs to be.
Edited by Symphony on 12/8/2011 9:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
All depends on what the mission is really. 2 tanks and a bunker will hold off a lot of early pressure. If you go over board on and get 10 tanks. Yeah, that is overkill. But on speed missions such as the Mobius factor, this is what I did,

Place 2 bunkers on the ramp and get two tanks behind the bunkers. I then had to make a few vikings (3-4) due to the fact that some broods started to show up. After that, I spend all my money on what I needed to finish the mission. Tanks are not always needed but they are the best against ground. Going heavy tank for defense will limit your offense. It is always best to get just enough to hold back the enemy so you can focus on microing your troops to achieve the objective.
Reply Quote
12/08/2011 09:04 AMPosted by Symphony
You always need marines as the backbone of your army

I did that a lot too, but I've been replacing that trusty Marine unit with the Goliath unit in the more recent play-throughs of the campaigns. You're right, though, you almost have to have a second expo for a tank heavy army... I usually just depend on 2 standard tanks & the Siege Breakers. That seems to cover the bases fairly well enough.

Reply Quote
All depends on what the mission is really. 2 tanks and a bunker will hold off a lot of early pressure. If you go over board on and get 10 tanks. Yeah, that is overkill. But on speed missions such as the Mobius factor, this is what I did,

Place 2 bunkers on the ramp and get two tanks behind the bunkers. I then had to make a few vikings (3-4) due to the fact that some broods started to show up. After that, I spend all my money on what I needed to finish the mission. Tanks are not always needed but they are the best against ground. Going heavy tank for defense will limit your offense. It is always best to get just enough to hold back the enemy so you can focus on microing your troops to achieve the objective.

I'll stand by the point that it wasn't necessary. This is actually just what I mean about the expense - even two tanks and four vikings is a big 400 gas that could've been faster +1/+1 upgrades for marines plus a faster couple of medivacs, which are the things you really need to own the level. Once your marines hit 2/2 with ample medivac support on this level you can practically a-move and go read a book til it's over, so you don't want anything to slow down that goal if you can avoid it.

I did Moebius Factor Brutal last week, it happens. One bunker, one missile turret, walled in behind the factory, which I moved to the ramp, and a couple depots. Put 2-3 SCVs on a hotkey so you can bring them to the front to repair the moment you get attacked. I also dumped Spartan Company Goliaths back behind the bunker whenever I found them, they're more useful there than out in the field. Other than that, with constant production of marines, and medivacs when possible, the reinforcements you've built at your base but haven't had a chance to move out yet support the bunker just fine, it's all the defense you really need. If broods show up you just lower depots and stim out under them, they don't come in scary numbers. Then you move your reinforcements to join your main offensive force right after attacks, because it'll be a while before you get hit again and by then you'll have more reinforcements there.

Doing it that way, you've spent 200 minerals on pure defense (bunker, turret - and I'm not sure you even need this turret actually), and literally all the rest of your spending handles defense and offense both.
Edited by Symphony on 12/9/2011 9:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
You always need marines as the backbone of your army

I did that a lot too, but I've been replacing that trusty Marine unit with the Goliath unit in the more recent play-throughs of the campaigns. You're right, though, you almost have to have a second expo for a tank heavy army... I usually just depend on 2 standard tanks & the Siege Breakers. That seems to cover the bases fairly well enough.

I did that too on my first playthrough on Hard (2 tanks + Siege Breakers as standard defense). But now that I'm doing Brutal, knowing the levels better, I've found that defensive tanks are usually just a security blanket, not actually required. Spend the gas on marine upgrades instead!
Edited by Symphony on 12/9/2011 9:29 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]