StarCraft® II

Bring back the UED!

Just a personal opinion but I believed that Dugalle and Stukov along with the UED were the coolest characters and faction in the story so far, and it is a shame they are all gone. I mean they must have more on Earth and even though at the end of brood war no UED ships made it home so why hasn't earth sent another fleet looking for them? Im sure they have some more commanders n such that are looking at eachother checking their emails going !@#$ phil, where the %^-* is stukov and dugalle i havent gotten a bbm in over 2 years maybe we should send some backup?

I also just like the characters themselves and the army, they seemed more realistic and more proffesional I guess maybe because they werent rednecks like 98 percent of the rest of the terrans you meet haha I am pretty sure Dugalle and Stukov are russians and their army seemed to be more initmidating then that of the confederacy or the dominion (who just get smashed by everybody in both games).

In conclusion ( ahah essay like highschool I feel like i learned something! except for spelling and grammer) I like the UED and am sick of the dominion and Mengsk's ugly hillbilly face and want to see some more white armoured badasses with cooler accents showing the protoss and zerg that terrans arent useless (they enslaved the overmind, pure badass). Also the ending cutscene of bw where Dugalle commits suicide was friggen epic and a perfect end to his character as much as I would like to see him come back and just rage everyone haha. PS. also if no ships got home, who watched the news broadcast at the end of the UED campaign in bw? was it just like a demo tape? haha anwyays im rambling and at 5am (unemployment is fun) haha if anyone agrees join the revolution!
Reply Quote
Meh...I thought the UED was really clumsily forced into the story, glad they're gone.

The premise of the Terran origin story was that they were a bunch of criminals and dissidents against the authoritarian Earth government, who were exiled by being dumped onto a bunch of spaceships that were deliberately set on an impossible-to-return-from course so far into unknown space that they couldn't possibly be ever heard from again, even if by some ludicrous miracle they actually managed to survive.

Given that premise, which is all about establishing the Koprulu Terrans as completely and irrevocably separated from anything to do with Earth, it was pretty dumb to suddenly have a military force from Earth turn up, dumber still to claim they'd somehow been monitoring Koprulu all along, and dumbest of all that they go through the whole campaign fighting with the exact same military technology that the Koprulu Terrans had been using.

Also, always hated the harshly militaristic BW Terran music, so completely, jarringly out of step with the rock'n'roll space-cowboy Terran themes previously established.

I'm very glad to have SC2 sweep the UED back under the rug, from whence they should never have emerged.
Edited by Symphony on 12/5/2011 10:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
I definately see what you mean symphony and I forgot about the whole terran korprulu origin story, but still it makes me wonder if a bunch of criminals were able to colonize and establish governments in space, than earth must be so far advanced nobody would stand a chance no? Also since we hear so little about Earth and what it is up to in the Starcraft universe.

However I do agree with Azire and my first post in saying I did like the UED as a whole, as well as the music in the campaign I actually enjoy warring across the stars to epic orchestra charge music as opposed to twangy rock and roll. I think the UED were a good addition for the aspect that humanity is still organized and capable. The UED are kind of like the wardens of mankind, what the conclave was to aiur (sorry is spelling bad) whom I also believed were underutilated even though they were douches (sometimes fun to root for the bad guys) The confederacy was overthrown and mengsk was all marchin around all high and mighty so Earth had to send some guys to show him he aint so tough and they did, quite easily. They had a massive cruiser fleet, superior infantry division and made a very tough adversary during the zerg campaign and when you have a couple russians at the lead i felt more intimidated fighting them as well as fighting for them and I hope they introduce more characters such as them in the future.

I do see your point though symphony that they did just randomly pop up, but i do think it was a cool addition and its a shame they were destroyed just as fast as they came (still wonders why nobody has sent even a scouting drone to see what happened to them :))
Reply Quote
I'm happy they're gone. They were really annoying.
Reply Quote
Welcome fellow UED lover, if you dont know me im Ivan the starcraft 2 forum`s biggest UED fan

first off Stukov is(and its not was) Russian but Dugalle was French

he entire next campaign is probably just about bringing the Swarm back together under one banner and getting revenge on Mengsk. I don't see any better time for the UED to return. EVERY race is fighting itself while fighting the others. Come in take control of the Terran sector, mind control the Zerg again and then you have two races fighting under the same banner. Dark Voice = Powerless.

i dont think the UED will try slave broods again if they got the email from Dugalle

12/05/2011 10:19 AMPosted by Symphony
it was pretty dumb to suddenly have a military force from Earth turn up

they wanted to kill the zerg

dumber still to claim they'd somehow been monitoring Koprulu all along

that was probably to make sure the terrans never bite them in the !@#

and dumbest of all that they go through the whole campaign fighting with the exact same military technology that the Koprulu Terrans had been using.

people from the UED are humans not Terrans:(under Namesake) http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Terran

all most the same the UED had Medics, Valkyries and a Goliath upgrade

there may have been more settlers, probably rebels
that gave them the tec

and this is why Stukov is and not was Russian: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Resurrection_IV
Edited by Ivan on 12/14/2011 6:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/05/2011 06:57 PMPosted by Azire
My personal feelings towards your defense of the space cowboys is it's just dumb. Who do you think would have a better chance against two alien races? The "space cowboys" or the elite military fighting force? You have to figure that Terrans would rule the sector unchallenged had the idiot space cowboys not decided to side the aliens against their own race.

That was no defense, just opinion. I like the space cowboy theme. It's fun.

But more importantly, I like good writing, and getting more objective here, a sudden, complete switch of perspective to characters that had no existence whatsoever in the story previously - that is terrible writing. That is as close to an objective fact as you can get in a discussion of an art.

If it had gone the other way around, and we started off with the UED perspective in vanilla and then suddenly switched over to some space cowboys who appeared out of nowhere in the expansion, that would have also been bad writing, and I would have hated that just as much.

But speaking of good writing or the lack thereof, the story of SC2 so far has been so pitifully bad that I wouldn't be surprised by anything in the expansions.
Edited by Symphony on 12/6/2011 10:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
Here Here Ivan! if I am saying that right ahah i agree with you, also thank you for officially correcting me about dugalles heritage i always suspected he being french what with the name and his au revoir message to his wife but I figured since him and stukov were friends for so long that he prolly was in russia for a long time to my knowledge.

I also didnt know the whole of the origin story either about the humans being more organized than i thought or terrans (what is the difference between terran and human in this circumstance?) I like the whole space cowboy thing but i think that they would definately have done a better job had the UED be in charge from the beginning. It does seem like blizzard likes their cowboys seeing as how there is barely any foreign units besides the battlecruiser, ghost and maybe the diamondback that i can think of now, whereas the UED brought the medic and the German (could be wrong might be danish or some kind of scandanavian) valkyries.

I also see your point where raynor being an inconsistent flip flopper, you would think after mengsk screwed over kerrigan that raynor would have NOTHING to do with mengsk let alone go out of his way and sacraficing his protoss brothers to protect him (speaking of the mission to which you have to destroy the command centre before the zerg only to just let them escape through the warp gate) Then as you mentioned before siding with Kerrigan at the peak of her trying to overthrow the UED. If I was raynor I would try and parlay with the UED and work together with their zerg slaves (an idea the cowboys never thought of) to take kerrigan down and maybe even cure her (for his own love of her) I mean if the UED could control the zerg overmind they could potentially find a way to reverse, cure or even halt the infestation in her, then they would be all better prepared for the xel naga.

Who knows also maybe Dugalle's kids will come looking for their father (in the event they did not recieve his email)or maybe the UED will come and try to help in the overall defence against dark voice, cuz im assuming if korprulu is conqoured than earth isnt too far behind on Dark Voice's agenda. One can only hope the awesome and intimidating UED come back or are even mentioned (beisdes the spartan goliath mercenaries i dont think they are AT ALL mentioned in the sc2 campaign)
Reply Quote
12/06/2011 11:32 AMPosted by Vulture
I figured since him and stukov were friends for so long that he prolly was in russia for a long time to my knowledge.

that might be right but i think they probably met in the navy

12/06/2011 11:32 AMPosted by Vulture
the German (could be wrong might be danish or some kind of scandanavian) valkyries.

ya i think your right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z56TYzw4Cuw
at 0:16 shy says ya vill then shy says ak two
so if we can find out what language thats from well know

Reply Quote
I've been expecting their return in the LotV expansion...

Unless Blizzard has plans to use them as the catalyst for SC3!

xD
Reply Quote
I've been expecting their return in the LotV expansion...

Unless Blizzard has plans to use them as the catalyst for SC3!

xD

ya i think the UED will be in LotV then into starcraft 3 but i think stukov will be back in HotS
Reply Quote
Yeah i just downloaded and played the secret missions to brood war and i had no IDEA that stukov was still alive! He was like my favorite character and was saddened when dugalle ordered his demise so im curious to see if blizzard will continue his story since they claim it was just canon. It would be super badass if Stukov reformed a group of UED troops and made another dent in Mengk's and kerrigans plans. I dunno if they would be back in LotV because they had little to do with the protoss apart from a couple encounters their beef was with the dominion and the overmind.
Reply Quote
they hinted at stukov coming back at blizzcon in HotS and by the smile on his (one of the guys in the story QnA) face im going to say he is in HotS
Reply Quote
12/08/2011 05:33 PMPosted by Ivan
they hinted at stukov coming back at blizzcon in HotS and by the smile on his (one of the guys in the story QnA) face im going to say he is in HotS

Seems like I remember that too... I can't wait for HotS... It's gonna be fun!
Reply Quote
I hope he isnt infested as well he was a total badass with his well pressed uniform and his officer's hat, i dunno what it is about those hats but if u wear them u look good. Case in point the Germans (terrible as they were) had friggen awesome hats! Dugalle had an awesome hat and was a badass as well and went the way a true leader would, without spreading his shame of defeat. Obviously he would have better enjoyed dying in battle but he was also ashamed of killing his best friend who now we find out is no longer dead ahha had he just waited 4 years he could have reunited with stukov and !@#$ed %^-* up again! haha how do you think stukov will play a part in HotS since the UED isnt a big player anymore and the beef is with the dominion and kerrigan with a lil raynor sprinkled in?
Reply Quote
12/09/2011 04:38 AMPosted by Azire
I really hope he isn't infested though..

Oh, that would completely blow and cause me to lose credibility in the writers!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]