StarCraft® II

Scouting terrans?

I always make a determined effort to scout. I send an early drone. It tells me a little bit but after him the terran is walled. I can send an OL but Terran marines very often kill him before I get any useful info.

I almost have to wait till I get Mutas.

I still park overlords over minerals around the map, sometimes I put a single ling there and maybe a ling at the bottom of their ramp and at the towers etc.

But with Terrans walled in and their very early anti air ability it is pretty hard to scout them well.

Am I missing something obvious?

I do muta harrass as early as possible. I focus their minerals and if they have an armory up I try to take it down (I have rarely beaten a Thor Ball so I try to pre empt the Thor Ball).

Edited by Saumerez on 8/13/2010 3:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
changelings don't get used enough.
Reply Quote

I totally agree with this!

I was having the same problem then I parked an Overseeer by the silly Terran's base and every so often i would drop a changeling to go run up and stand by his wall defenses. vs, AI it doesn't work but players don't know the difference normally. Just make sure you move him naturally if he is running around all crazy like they will notice him.

there was a Zerg player I was against that kept lings in his mineral field. the more troops around the harder it is to spot him.
Reply Quote

^

Love those little guys. They arnt spotted by detectors, and often go unnoticed.

Not to mention overseers are noticeably faster than overlords, so even if you lack the energy for a changeling, you are more likely to get away with flying one over the base
Reply Quote
Overseers r key for this!
Reply Quote
Pneumatic Carapice upgrade for Overlord/seers researched at Lair.
Reply Quote

im pretty sure overseers are fast without the upgrade as well

also, lings, mutas, and ultras will help vs thors. scatter mutas against thors(moving the mutas over a thor and then right clicking will make them scatter automatically). if the thors have hellions support, back up and let crawlers and mutas take out the hellions then run in, if they have siege tanks, back up till the tank unsiege then run in. just some suggestions from watching good players' replays.

Reply Quote
Though changlings certainly are useful, the problem with them is that you need lair tech to upgrade your overlord to an overseer. By then, a good terran player could have already developed an army that you have no counter to meet, and when it comes knocking on your door a minute later, you're in trouble.
Reply Quote
Overseers come too late, given how late Lair comes. A zerg needs to know before Lair finishes what the hell Terran is up to. Otherwise, you will get stomped.

You could try sac-ing the overlord once, and pock in from different angles, but any good Terran will shut it all down.

The best, you could can do, is poke with zerglines at the ramp to scout his army composition and rush to Lair. Still sucks but oh, well.
Reply Quote
Overseers come too late, given how late Lair comes. A zerg needs to know before Lair finishes what the hell Terran is up to. Otherwise, you will get stomped.

You could try sac-ing the overlord once, and pock in from different angles, but any good Terran will shut it all down.

The best, you could can do, is poke with zerglines at the ramp to scout his army composition and rush to Lair. Still sucks but oh, well.

Yea, I have no problem sacrificing an Overlord but quite often it gets killed before getting deep enough.

What I have been doing is getting to mutalisks as quick as I can and putting together a Muta ball and taking out the mineral line and armory or fusion core etc to try to deny him his options.

When it works its awesome.

When it fails...
Reply Quote
i like to open 14 pool to speedlings
i tend to get my queen and speed and then soon as is queen done i start lair morph. i dont use overseers much but i can if need be with this opening
Reply Quote

im pretty sure overseers are fast without the upgrade as well

also, lings, mutas, and ultras will help vs thors. scatter mutas against thors(moving the mutas over a thor and then right clicking will make them scatter automatically). if the thors have hellions support, back up and let crawlers and mutas take out the hellions then run in, if they have siege tanks, back up till the tank unsiege then run in. just some suggestions from watching good players' replays.

They are fast without it, but they do get even faster with it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]