StarCraft® II

Is it possible to play a one base zerg ?

I know an expansion is inevitable, but is it possible to survive without fast expanding?
Reply Quote
Really only if you zergling rush, or if the opponent is just plain bad.
Reply Quote
1base muta.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the replies guys/ladies. I am new to starcraft in general, but the zerg are my favorite race. Win,lose or draw Ill keep at it.
Reply Quote
Zerg can one-base, but nowhere near as well as terran or protoss. It's hard to mass produce anything beyond tier 1 units off of one base because tier 2 for zerg requires so much gas.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the replies guys/ladies. I am new to starcraft in general, but the zerg are my favorite race. Win,lose or draw Ill keep at it.

Good choice. Zerg are harder to manage than terrans or toss, but they're way more epic.

And also, *watch replays*. Probably the best advice a new player can get.
Reply Quote
Thank you . Ill see what youtube has on zerg matches. If I woulda know how fun this game was I would of started years ago.
Reply Quote
Thank you . Ill see what youtube has on zerg matches. If I woulda know how fun this game was I would of started years ago.

SC2Replayed is a way better source for replays. You can sort by race and skill level, and pick and choose which replays you want to view. Most importantly, you get the replays themselves..
Reply Quote
Thanks Celcius, Ill check the site out.
Reply Quote
1 base muta is strong vs terran but only if it is not scouted. If it is at anytime other then the mutas being in the air you almost auto lose.
Reply Quote
its better to try and take every expansion on the map, and get as much gas as possible. zerg neeeed gas unless all you want to make is zerglings...

yeah fast gas for zerg doesn't even give away your tech strategy as it is now.
Reply Quote
zerg are remarkably unable to swarm or make units for the swarming race.
Reply Quote
1 base muta is strong vs terran but only if it is not scouted. If it is at anytime other then the mutas being in the air you almost auto lose.

i disagree. 1base mutas just means you expand late. the mutas give you map control at the very least. the late expo gives you less to guard fo9r the time being. if they try to counter your mutas like turrets everywhere, that soaks a lot of their mins. if they makes a ton of vikings, get more mutas or go infestor. scout them and counter whatever they do.

from what ive witnessed, getting a spire out is necessity 90%+ of the time
Reply Quote
I think the main problem with the original post is the terminology in the sentence:

"..is it possible to survive without fast expanding?"

Survive?!? SURVIVE?! With that outlook, you WILL lose. If zerg 1base, then that Zerg must ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK with EVERY single ounce of minerals and gas he generates. Surviving is not anywhere in the agenda.

hehe, no seriously. 1base vs 1base, zerg is gonna fall behind if he just sits there and lets everyone build in peace. Zerg CAN and do often win on just one base, but thats precisely because they spent all of their resources on military units, while the other guy spent that same amount on new tech buildings.

And from what I've heard/seen on youtube Korean Zerg players hardly ever go macro, and often never leave their original base- but that playstyle is so alien to American playstyle.. it might as well be on the far side of some giant ocean, or something ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]