StarCraft® II

Spine Crawler Rush? SERIOUSLY?!

So I just got out of a game that lasted all of 4 minutes.

ZvZ. They had a pool just slightly faster than mine (I'd guess they 9 pooled while I 10 pooled, haven't watched the replay yet though).

Just after my pool pops I drop a couple of Spine Crawlers in my mineral line to fend off any early sillyness with zerglings.

I also start morphig 6 zerglings immediately.

Then I spot a drone in my base, and it's building a spine crawler! Then I spot a second one building just at the edge of my creep. I run over with my zerglings and kill the top one (2 more lings spawn) then go after the bottom one. My opponents pulls over a few zerglings to try and defend the spine crawler,but just attack move takes care of them (tried kiting me but didn't work). Spine Crawler gets eaten before it pops.

GG *quit*

o_O

I have serious trouble believing this ever works.

Thoughts?

Replay: http://screplays.com/replays/pixiedust/4808
Reply Quote

ZvZ. They had a pool just slightly faster than mine (I'd guess they 9 pooled while I 10 pooled, haven't watched the replay yet though).

Just after my pool pops I drop a couple of Spine Crawlers in my mineral line to fend off any early sillyness with zerglings.

Then I spot a drone in my base, and it's building a spine crawler! Then I spot a second one building just at the edge of my creep. I run over with my zerglings and kill the top one (2 more lings spawn) then go after the bottom one. My opponents pulls over a few zerglings to try and defend the spine crawler,but just attack move takes care of them (tried kiting me but didn't work). Spine Crawler gets eaten before it pops.

GG *quit*

o_O

Thoughts?

Well there goes 10 seconds of our lives we aren't getting back.
Reply Quote
It would work incredibly well on players that have bad map awareness. There are also a lot of players that don't spawn any zerglings, they rush straight to roaches.

Reply Quote
Its the zerg version of cannon rush apparently... although it seems even less likely to work then its annoying protoss counterpart.
Reply Quote
Its good if you 10 pool and ur Opponent 14 pool. If he wants to stop it hell have to pull workers off the mineral line hurting his economy. I usually do this with my scout too at around 10 ish supply... Its pretty effective and starts that little early game harassment I like to do
Reply Quote
Thats how you can beat insane AI zerg v zerg... apparently they thought you were a computer.
Reply Quote
Well there goes 10 seconds of our lives we aren't getting back.

Just consider them taken off of the depends years. You'll thank me for it later. ;-)

It would work incredibly well on players that have bad map awareness. There are also a lot of players that don't spawn any zerglings, they rush straight to roaches.

Wouldn't such a strategy (straight to roaches) fail to an early rush? I try to have Zerglings up immediately to be able to fend off any early rush/harass, as well as use them for scouting/Towers. I thought that was pretty standard.

I'm still working at getting better. Bad thing is I'm best with Zerg (minus mass warpgate distraction until VRs with toss), not very good at terran (being able to make an MMM ball doesn't make me good, heh), and meh with Toss.

I like Zerg the most because of how much there is going on. It occurred to me that building on your enemy's creep could be a good idea, but I'd think you'd need immediate support for it in case they had some troops up.
Reply Quote
I've only ever used this against the AI, but truth be told it's not a bad use of a drone if they're too stupid to kill your scout.
Reply Quote
I've seen Hatchery/Spine Crawler rushes work against other races...in replays...I've never really seen it work against Zerg though.
Reply Quote
Spine crawler rushing is funny, I've done it a few times myself. The trick is, the enemy creep doesn't QUITE reach far enough to let you build it out of sight, so he'd have to be blind to not see it coming. So rushing like that is really only gonna work vs someone who rushed straight to hatchery before spawning pool, and even then they can usually stall the crawlers with drones long enough to get a defense going.

If you REALLY want to spine crawler rush, you have to build a hatchery in the enemy base. Seriously. It works that way. Its like the way protoss players put a pylon a little out of range of your sight, and then one cannon just barely out of range, and then the second cannon close enough for you to see -- and by the time you run over to kill the second one, the first one is shooting at you. So you use your hatchery to give you the extra space to build crawlers out of sight, with the added bonus that after they finish morphing you can uproot to move them closer to attack. You can even do this against non-zerg players, but then you have to make a quick queen on the hatchery to spread creep.

I had one game where a protoss player cannon rushed my base while I was spine crawler rushing his base. Was very funny. He couldn't do anything to stop me, because all the creep I was spreading kept him from building more cannons =)
Reply Quote

Wouldn't such a strategy (straight to roaches) fail to an early rush? I try to have Zerglings up immediately to be able to fend off any early rush/harass, as well as use them for scouting/Towers. I thought that was pretty standard.

I'm still working at getting better. Bad thing is I'm best with Zerg (minus mass warpgate distraction until VRs with toss), not very good at terran (being able to make an MMM ball doesn't make me good, heh), and meh with Toss.

I like Zerg the most because of how much there is going on. It occurred to me that building on your enemy's creep could be a good idea, but I'd think you'd need immediate support for it in case they had some troops up.

Zerglings are terrible defense against rushes. I mean, think about what's going to be coming. Marines and Zealots crush lings. I usually start with 2 spine crawlers and that'll stop the earliest rushes. If they do actually rush, after the first wave I put up 2 more crawlers. If not, I spend the resources on roaches and teching faster to Mutas.

The only thing Lings will really help you with is early stalker pressure, but that's fairly easy to scout. Double gates + vespene is usually a good sign. So is robo core.
Reply Quote
I can't check the replays, but it wouldn't surprise me if you were playing Aurum. He does that a lot, and wins most of them.
Reply Quote
Thats how you can beat insane AI zerg v zerg... apparently they thought you were a computer.
QFT
Reply Quote

GG *quit*

o_O

Thoughts?

Somebody tried using that on me and it failed horrible, then right before he quit he said "Do what I did, it works more often than not." No thanks.
Reply Quote
WOOO GO RUSH DEFENSE
Reply Quote
In ZvZ I've immediately taken the enemy's natural expo, and surrounded the entrance to their base with spine crawlers. It was hilarious when they rushed out, got owned, and left the game.

Also, check this vid out of LiquidTLO doing various battles and owning in every one of them... in one he does an epic spine crawler rush. The beginning isn't very interesting, just skip ahead to 3:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZFZ_1mi6U
Reply Quote
Lol, actually it's very effective. I've won several games because of a spine crawler rush.
Reply Quote

This is true, i've done it.
Reply Quote
I did the hatchery thing once to see if it would work. Mostly it is just funny. The guy was zealot rushing me and I stopped his rush and he quit.

I have also used my scout drone to drop a spine crawler when I am against another zerg. I assume it will fail but if not its a little early game disruption. Can't hurt.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]