Any good way to counter. . .

Photon cannons? Just had a game against a guy who wasn't as good as I thought he was after watching the replay. He tried cheese cannon rushing me, failed (love mah zerglings for that!) and when I entered his base, he had about 5-6 photon cannons, not even a gate yet, just a forge and cannons. Haven't really faced a player that has done this yet, and need to know if there's a good way to counter cannons. His cannons held him off for so damn long that 20 minutes into the game, he just started building stargates and cheese rayd me. Didn't get up a counter fast enough for the cheese rays, but that was my own fault for not sending in a changeling (would have sent in the seer, but by this point he had about 10 cannons).
Reply Quote
Brood lords, banelings.

You imply not much in the way of ground forces, I'd have pushed hard with banelings, using some zerglings to draw fire long enough for the banelings to get close.

Just keep the pressure on while teching up air and expanding to feed your suicide missions.
Reply Quote
Photon cannons? Just had a game against a guy who wasn't as good as I thought he was after watching the replay. He tried cheese cannon rushing me, failed (love mah zerglings for that!) and when I entered his base, he had about 5-6 photon cannons, not even a gate yet, just a forge and cannons. Haven't really faced a player that has done this yet, and need to know if there's a good way to counter cannons. His cannons held him off for so damn long that 20 minutes into the game, he just started building stargates and cheese rayd me. Didn't get up a counter fast enough for the cheese rays, but that was my own fault for not sending in a changeling (would have sent in the seer, but by this point he had about 10 cannons).

Cannons are quite expensive.

I would think you can get a decent army of roaches and hydras to try to take it out. OR just let him turtle, deny him expos with your bigger army (since all his minerals are invested in structures) and just tech up to T3, while holding as many expos on the map as you feel confident with managing. To be honest, you probably should have just anticipated the cheese rays since he was such a bad player.
Reply Quote
Well, the guy was just sitting around building nothing and letting almost all of his minerals float. I know one mistake i made was during my 2nd attack where I stopped attacking his pylons (noob mistake I know). Felt like an idiot afterwords. Surprised I didn't facepalm myself into next week. Thought about brood lords, but went ultralisk, and my 2-3 ultras plus the 7-10 roaches just didn't hold out once i quickly discovered he built yet more photon cannons. Thanks for the info though.
Reply Quote
Yea... for that best thing would been Corruptors + Broodlords.

Perfect Counters for VRs and Cannons

Also just starving him to death works too
Reply Quote
Realize that he spent so much on all those cannons and he has no army. If he has no army you can expand and get a much better economy than him. Just keep the scouts going to see what kind of army he has and build accordingly. And seriously, almost every protoss that builds early cannons is trying to hold off until void rays.
Reply Quote
Mass Infestors with the Infested Terran ability, don't worry about losing them...just fire a huge mound of green eggs and watch the destruction. The Photon Cannons shoot too slow to compensate for their fast birth, and then mass devastation. You could launch them out of range and then march them in, but you don't have to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]