StarCraft® II

Most useless campaign unit?

WRAITH.

My god, the wraith. Viking does a better job than this craptastic unit.
I think I used every other unit at some point or another.
Reply Quote
I disagree. Wraiths plus banshees are a pretty awesome combo since they can both cloak. Sure, Vikings are a better anti air and anti ground unit. But Wraith anti air is still pretty great and they can attack ground without having to switch. So they can be pretty useful.

I'd have to say Hellions and Vultures are pretty useless. But I'd say Vultures are slightly better because of the spider mines. I personally never build any ever and just use the ones I get on the missions you get them. Well, I built some extra Vultures to get the achievement for killing people with mines. But that was it.
Reply Quote
I never found a use for cloak, since all the missions I've done (besides Supernova) had an overwhelming amount of detectors, and other units filled some of the niches.
Reply Quote
In order of worthlessness:

1.) Predator. Why? because I never use it and the other research option is better than even having it. So the fact that its not in anyone's important game is epic fail for it.

2.) Helion. I can't remember ever building one of these during the campaign, or even wanting to keep it alive if I had one at any point.

3.) Vulture. Only mission I used it in was its feature mission and all I used them for was to mass spider mines. As a unit, they suck.

4.) Wraith. It even sucks on its opening mission. terrible. snipe siege tanks and run away because the wraith is too crappy to use in the campaign.

5.) Raven. Anyone playing brutal has to choose science vessel over Raven because it's immensely more useful and heals your mechanical units. Just like the predator, it doesn't even get chosen half the time.
Reply Quote
LoL, the Predator was so useless I had forgotten about it entirely. Wraith and Ravens were indeed pretty useless.
Reply Quote
Wraith is pure garbage because while stealth is nice on paper, its paper thin armor vaporizes once a detector comes along, which happens very frequently in brutal difficulty.

I think Helion and Raven are quiet useful actually. If you upgrade Helion, they can pop a long line of zerglings in 2 shots easily even in Brutal, which will let your tanks and marines to shoot at other targets faster. As for Raven, auto turret and seeker missile are bit bleh compare to what science vassel has to offer, but point defense system is pretty awesome as it can prevent damage from units like hydralisk, muta, etc.
Reply Quote
The Raven gets a bad rap in the campaign because you have to choose from the Raven, which is a decent unit in its own right, and the Science Vessel, which is completely overpowered. There really is no choice between the two. Science Vessel comes out on top every time.
Reply Quote
Predators, Vultures and Hellions.

Hellions (playable ones that is) get introduced on Outbreak... but if you've done Redstone by then, Reapers make Outbreak 1000x easier.
Reply Quote
Goliath - Never used them, even on Welcome to the Jungle, mass medic/marine is so much more effective

Hellions - Never used them either.

Predators - Never used them.

Vultures - Only used on Deadman's Port (or w.e its called) to quickly clear out bases.

Wraiths - Only used in Engine of Destruction.

Ravens - Because Science Vessel is pure win.
Reply Quote
From least worthless to most worthless

• Medivac - Medics are better healers and Hercules are better dropships

• Reaper - Only useful in 3 missions

• Raven - Science Vessel is better, sorry Raven :(

• Goliath - Viking or MM is always better

• Firebat - Some use in the begining, but quickly becomes obsolete

• Vulture - Only good in it's own mission

• Helion - same deal with vultures, although reapers are better

• Diamondback - Too expensive and only good in it's own mission, where siege tanks are better

• Predator - did anyone actually chosse this?

• Wraith - fail unit is fail, not even good in its own mission
  • Reply Quote
    Hellions aren't exactly campaign exclusive, but they are the most useless, in my opinion.

As for campaign exclusive, I'd definitely agree with the Predator. The worst part is that the game even tries to sell the unit with the whole, "powerful area attack" crap.
    Reply Quote
    Hellions are useful in Welcome to the Jungle for the It's So Easy achievement. I used them to snipe off probes that were closing Terrazine sites since they're cheap, fast, and you can easily mass more if they die. Vultures can also fill this role but I didn't have them at the time.

Also, I love vultures after you get replenishing mines. Good way to spend off excess resources and strengthen up your defenses.
    Edited by Lonewolf on 8/6/2010 6:22 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Hellions and Reapers are probably the most useless. I didn't use Vultures at all, but they can be useful if you wanna put down spider mines.
    Reply Quote
    Reapers have their uses for sure, they're not useless in the slightest, a bit niche, sure, but they have their uses.

The useless units are those that are worthless all around because it has nothing to offer that other units can't do better.

That being saide, I think Helion, Predators and Vultures are useless. Wraith too, but it's the only anti-air unit with cloak and that can be useful outside of Brutal so it has it's niche in lower difficulty games.
    Reply Quote
    I never used Reapers, Hellions, Wraiths, Firebats, and Vultures. For the final missions I chose to take out the Nydus worms. I just knew they'd have those damn things burrowing out of everywhere and irritate the piss out of me. I figured I could easily make a perimeter or turrets around my base. Goliaths were actually quite useful for that missions. They eventually drop pods of zerg ground units into your base anyway and having something that can take out any overlords crapping creep all over my base and the stray ground units without having to shift was nice.
    Reply Quote
    ravens useless??
    "unlimited" turrets and guided AOE bombs that do a ton of damage are useless?

It's uselss in the sense that the Science vessel is the better choice
    Reply Quote
    The raven is not uesless then, a useless unit is a unit with no use, the Raven has plenty of uses. If you could have both the Raven and the Science Vessel, most people would have both, thus it's not useless, it's just unfortunate that you have to choose either or.
    Reply Quote
    ravens useless??
    "unlimited" turrets and guided AOE bombs that do a ton of damage are useless?

I think people are just saying that the Raven is useless only because you can only have the Raven or the SV and the SV is insanely better than the Raven...hence useless
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]