StarCraft® II

Most useless campaign unit?

I really like Reapers and they have huge benefits. They're cheap, they're highly mobile with impassible terrain and they're super fast, you can heal them with meds, and they deal a crap ton of dmg (esp to buildings) their regular attack is like a stim'd marine too just need air cover. If you upgraded their frag grenade thing, you can even take out large groups of enemies ie marauder team in great train robbery. I would hardly call them useless. I used them in outbreak, the last mission in the colonist chain to destroy buildings fast, the first quest where you get them for mining the 8k minerals, on the 2nd to final mission if you choose to destroy their air units against the right and bottom left bases. These are great especially if you race the clock since they demolish things so fast.

Ravens definitely had limited use, along with predators.

Vultures and hellions were a pain to use because you dont get around to ever repairing them. They are the fastest units in the game though, so i use them for mobility when I get some for free, like deadman's port and the first final mission, entering hell? or something like that.

As for cloaking units, I really love banshees. They're so useful, and they demolish ground units. The large amount of detectors was a bit annoying but you just gotta skirt around them and hide in pockets of non detector coverage, or enter from different angles. I usually use vikings as coverfire against air, or have banshees knock out the sunken colonies and then land the vikings to kill the spore colonies etc.. once you kill detectors skirt out the vikings and cloak your banshees and just tear them apart.

Firebats were limited use just because they were too slow moving, and their range is bad. I used the flame turrets to replace them as soon as I got the upgrade.

wraiths were limited use since they are fairly weak.

thor was limited use because they were also too slow moving and bulky.

I used BC quite a few times but only 1-2 units max w/ energy shield to tank dmg while my smaller units dealt the dmg (other than on the final mobeous artifact quest where the ripfields would *@%@ my other units)

diamondbacks are limited use, (just the train robbery mission) cuz they require a lot of microing and i cant afford the time on brutal, esp if I'm pressed for time

goliaths were too weak to utilize, as they die easily, but the spartan company was there if i needed them
Reply Quote
Wraiths. Wraiths. Wraiths. I can't believe how amazingly useless this unit it. Its not even good on its own level, which is hilarious, since each of the levels are literally designed around the introduced unit. Vikings just overshadow these guys so badly.

And speaking of vikings, goliaths are ok, but the cost and the need to repair them made them a lot less appealing, especially in missions to conserve minerals and vespene. Its not that they're a bad unit per say, but they have a lot of other units who do a better job at it.

Predator. I got it once. Never again. So unbelievably useless

Vultures are nice cannon fodder, especially at 75 minerals a pop. With a tech reactor, you can get a good amount to distract your enemies from your bioball.

Barely used Hellions. Only on the Outbreak, but I had Reapers then.
Reply Quote
I love Ravens, I think they're a more useful caster unit than Ghosts. But sadly, they don't measure up to SciVessels with mech-heal.

Reply Quote
1) Helion
-> Low HP, can't be healed by medivacs or medics.
2) Predator
-> Dies WAY too fast. Should have a ton of HP, be healable by medics to be useful. To balance it out, it's dmg is severly reduced on high armor/hp units.
3) That giant Zerg Transport
-> Medivacs I think are better, and does the same function.
4) Medics later on in the campaign
-> Medivacs in the air are better healers, not vulnerable to ground aoe fire.
5) Planetary Fortress
-> If the AI has gotten to your command center, it's already over. Might be good for expansions, but most missions you won't have time or resources for it.
6) Diamond Backs
-> Siege tanks are much better, only one mission where you need to run and gun.
Reply Quote
Ravens definitely have their benefits. I got SV but i find their heals are pretty weak overall and 99% of the time used scvs with double repair

The giant transport is sometimes a pain because you need fusion core to build, but its great because its easier to micro than a fleet of meds and it doesnt kill all your units if it dies, and it has more hp and is faster so it doesnt really die.
Reply Quote
Diamondbacks.
Wraiths, but I still used them to cure my nostalgia feelings. And OMG they do barrel rolls! I kept hoping a hero wraith would show up as a mercenary and have them named like Top Guns or something.
Firebats, only used the hero ones.
Edited by Draynam on 8/6/2010 10:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You guys are completely and absolutely misguided.

Ravens >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> science vessels

Point defense drone works on Kerrigan.

Science vessels are useless, you have double repair scvs healing everything anyways.

hummmmmmmmmm BC + SV = gg. You sir are misguided. Sure point defense has uses. But BC + SV is amazing for all attacks. Amazing.
Reply Quote
  • Medivac - Medics are better healers and Hercules are better dropships

• Truth. Plus build them in mass along side your OP Marines.

• Reaper - Only useful in 3 missions

• I can't say that the reapers were useless. They are just very specialized in a way ghosts are. Needed to utilize reapers for an achievement in Outbreak.

• Firebat - Some use in the begining, but quickly becomes obsolete

• Which made me sad.

• Vulture - Only good in it's own mission

• I didn't even use them in that mission lol

• Helion - same deal with vultures, although reapers are better

• Hellions had spotty their uses for me. Had to mass them in order to get an achievement in Outbreak.

• Diamondback - Too expensive and only good in it's own mission, where siege tanks are better

• Like someone else already said: I really wanted to like these units, but I couldn't find a use to justify their costs.

• Predator - did anyone actually chosse this?

• Is this the robo cat? I picked because I thought it looked cool, but never actually used it. Hellions do a better job than them and they don't cost 100 gas a piece.

• Wraith - fail unit is fail, not even good in its own mission

• I actually used these guys a bunch. They did really good on the mission where you side with Protoss to kill the infested terran. Too many zerglings and roaches to try to transform vikings on top of. While Vikings are definately better Anti-Air, you have to consider the lose in DPS and bad vulnerability that comes with transforming to hit ground. And then there's cloak.
    Reply Quote
    You guys are completely and absolutely misguided.

Ravens >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> science vessels

Point defense drone works on Kerrigan.

Science vessels are useless, you have double repair scvs healing everything anyways.

hummmmmmmmmm BC + SV = gg. You sir are misguided. Sure point defense has uses. But BC + SV is amazing for all attacks. Amazing.

I think you are misguided here. Kerrigan one shots battlecruisers. SV can't repair what's dead.

But other than that, of course massing the best unit along side an OP unit that can repair the best unit at no resource cost is going to be amazing, but Brutal doesn't really let you do that. And mass Marine-Medic pretty much dominates everything in the campaign, even on brutal.
    Edited by Levie on 8/6/2010 10:41 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    LIMITED USES UNITS ARENT USELESS.

That said, Helions and Wraith are totally useless. Vultures had a use to get an achievement.

Planetary Fortress i believed to be very useless, they turned out real great when i found a use for them: Choking with alot of efficiency. I used them in the All In mission on all entrances, and by the time zergs could inflict damage to them, the 5+ Sieges behind each of them deal with any zergs. Nice meatshield. Used them again in the Dig Mission when the stalkers starts justs aiming for my sieges.
    Reply Quote
    What? Someone thinks Planetary Fortress sucks? You've obviously never used one to try to buff up a choke point, stick 2-3 of those down at a choke point in All In and nothing is getting past it, not even on Hard. I laid 3 down at the west entrance with a couple of bunkers, some tanks, and a few Psi Disrupters and I never had to look at the side again, the Planetary Fortress helped so much.
    Reply Quote
    Vultures.

Wraiths come in as a close second. Their only saving grace is the cloak ability.
    Reply Quote
    I gotta say Thor's are also pretty close to useless as well. You need a lot of open ground for them to be of much use, and by the time you get them... well... the missions after that don't offer a whole lot of open ground to use them.
    Reply Quote
    LIMITED USES UNITS ARENT USELESS.

That said, Helions and Wraith are totally useless. Vultures had a use to get an achievement.

Planetary Fortress i believed to be very useless, they turned out real great when i found a use for them: Choking with alot of efficiency. I used them in the All In mission on all entrances, and by the time zergs could inflict damage to them, the 5+ Sieges behind each of them deal with any zergs. Nice meatshield. Used them again in the Dig Mission when the stalkers starts justs aiming for my sieges.

Some arbitrary achievement doesn't make vultures any less useless. The delay in the spider mines is infuriating. 90% of them get shot before they even detonate.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]