Most useless campaign unit?

The Wraith useless? You people must not have played Terran in SC1 an so never learned how to use them. You say detecters make them useless but hmm lets see. What are all mobile detecters? Air units. What are Wraiths? Anti-Air. Lets put two an two together....i'll wait for you. Ah screw it i'll just tell you, order the Wraiths to kill the detectors then laugh as all their air forces are useless an die. An yes their ground attack sucks. Cause they are an anti air unit. In SC2 you actually have a Banshee for ground. Just thank the lord Wraiths are not in multiplayer too or the amount of QQ saying Terran is OP would be multiplied by a thousand.

The most useless unit is easily the Predator. It's almost like a joke thrown in by Blizzard to mock children who think a robot cat would be a cool idea. Hell it probably WAS one of the developers kids idea an they threw it in for laughs.
Reply Quote
i think any unit i haven"t use is useless,
Reply Quote
Diamondback. Used it in the Great Train Robbery, and never touched it again.
Reply Quote
The campaign has some pretty useless units.
- Vulture
- Wraith
- Firebat
- Hellion
- Hercules
- Raven
Reply Quote
I don't know about most useless but I got predators on my first normal run through and never used them. I didn't bother to pick them up on this (hard) run through.

Personnally, I love dropping turrets from mass ravens but the science vessel is a better choice if you're going heavy air, IMHO.

Reply Quote
Tosh.

Fat bastard said he'll fight by my side, never saw him once on Char.
Reply Quote
Wraiths r weak with there pitifull ground damage and armor
hellions i only use as scouts
Vultures, they suck
reapers r kinda usefull predators, LAME
i love goliaths
firebats r indeed obsolete after the first few missions
Reply Quote
The campaign has some pretty useless units.
- Vulture
- Wraith
- Firebat
- Hellion
- Hercules
- Raven

Wraiths were mediocre in SC1, no surprise they're not good here compared to the borderline OP vikings that are OP once you get armory upgrades.

The rest of these are way better against actual players than the comp because the entrenched AI doesn't throw big attack waves like a player will. Vultures are extremely powerful units in SC2 though, Spider Mines can recharge and absolutely massacre tightly clumped assault forces. If only you got them earlier.
Reply Quote
I'd say diamonds are useless because in my opinion, it's the pickiest unit in the whole game. You only use it in the Great Train Robbery, I cannot name another mission where it would serve a purpose other than a waste of space and money. The AI is always gonna have ranged units so that cancels out the ability of the diamond's shoot and move not to mention it's absolutely horrible at defending base where every other unit has some defense purpose.
Reply Quote
I would say the medivac. Unless I'm transporting units, I never create these. Normal medics do me just fine.
Reply Quote
I have this insane desire to start up a game on Normal difficulty and try to use Predators as much as possible. Just to see how it goes for me.
Edited by Beast on 8/23/2010 6:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
-Predator: Honestly, I've never used it, but I've heard only bad things. It's just so very immensely outclassed by the Hercules

-Vultures: Awful. You'd think with the damage buff they got they'd be better, but the gimped mines just turn them into no-splash Hellions. Nearly useless on their own level.

-Wraith: Admittedly I did use wraith/banshee frequently on normal difficulty for a cloaking fleet--but on hard/brutal where detectors abound they are completely outclassed by vikings. It was useless on its own level.

-Goliath: It's a viking in both forms at once, which in theory is awesome. But it's more expensive and so much slower, while just as vulnerable as assault mode vikings. Not necessarily useless on WotJ, but totally outclassed by MMM.

-Medivac: Hercules blows these out of the water thanks to the existence of medics in the campaign.

-Firebat: I'm surprised how rarely these have been mentioned in this topic--maybe it's just because everyone forgets about them after Evacuation. They're very, very slow and short-ranged Hellions that cost gas. Maybe if they were shrunk back to marine size instead of marauder sized and made light/1-supply they would be more useful, but as it stands they're too bulky and slow. The firebat is the one mercenary I never buy. Hell, even their utility in bunkers is replaced by Perdition Turrets.
Reply Quote
Predators, ffs.

Wraiths are awesome... Whenever I'm feeling particularly lazy during the Campaign, I just spam wraiths.
Reply Quote
Let's see...

-Vultures Barely used in SC1, Not used in SC2
-Diamondbacks Are crippled because of the "Die for Honor, Never Retreat" AI
-Wraiths Loved them in SC1 because they scouted pretty well, could give the observer a run for his money
-Shrike Turret is here since people bring up the Planetary Fortress
-Hammer Securities, Spartan company and Jackson's Revenge but lets focus on Jackson. He sucks for the price and only 1 per mission. One redeeming point is that it's an instant BC for the same price.
Reply Quote
From least worthless to most worthless

• Medivac - Medics are better healers and Hercules are better dropships

• Reaper - Only useful in 3 missions

• Raven - Science Vessel is better, sorry Raven :(

• Goliath - Viking or MM is always better

• Firebat - Some use in the begining, but quickly becomes obsolete

• Vulture - Only good in it's own mission

• Helion - same deal with vultures, although reapers are better

• Diamondback - Too expensive and only good in it's own mission, where siege tanks are better

• Predator - did anyone actually chosse this?

• Wraith - fail unit is fail, not even good in its own mission

• what he said except I have to add diamond back would be far more worth it if they were heavily armored and or had more hp,they die too fast to be useful,I think if there was a mission where you could only have a couple units and could kite a mass of enemies they would be far more useful,same with helions,reapers can easily kite any ground unit,they are so fast and do so much dmg vs light units and buildings
    Reply Quote
    Let's see...

-Wraiths Loved them in SC1 because they scouted pretty well, could give the observer a run for his money
    -Hammer Securities, Spartan company and Jackson's Revenge but lets focus on Jackson. He sucks for the price and only 1 per mission. One redeeming point is that it's an instant BC for the same price.

you are very wrong on the mercs part
    they are soooo strong for the cost and jacksons revenge costs exactly as much as regular BCs,is instant and far superior and cool looking
    Reply Quote
    Let's see...

they are soooo strong for the cost and jacksons revenge costs exactly as much as regular BCs,is instant and far superior and cool looking

Well, half wrong. Spartan company are the goliths and they blow.
    Reply Quote
    Let's see...

Well all 3 of the units increases are jokes, But my opinion on the Jackson's Revenge is that BCs feel awkward to me. They feel like they need to be watched to make sure those 300 Min and 400 gas don't go to waste but yet they barely need to be managed, well other than pulling them out when they get close to dying. Hammer Securities need to get an exclusive stim that no other campaign marauder has, Spartan company are GOLIATHS and Jackson is just an over glorified Battlecruiser. I'd take a reaver of that piece of trash any day.
    Reply Quote
    Let's see...

Well all 3 of the units increases are jokes, But my opinion on the Jackson's Revenge is that BCs feel awkward to me. They feel like they need to be watched to make sure those 300 Min and 400 gas don't go to waste but yet they barely need to be managed, well other than pulling them out when they get close to dying. Hammer Securities need to get an exclusive stim that no other campaign marauder has, Spartan company are GOLIATHS and Jackson is just an over glorified Battlecruiser. I'd take a reaver of that piece of trash any day.

have you never massed BCs?
    they have a super fast attack for small units and you can spam yamato on the big ones
    if you have tech reactor you can pump out 2 at a time,with all of them in a group that tiny damage that they do at super fast speeds (gets better when you upgrade dmg and have the protoss speed upgrade) they can take out all the smaller units as soon as they get in range,they are like a super powered void ray with more hp

if you get the mechs healing upgrade even if they get hurt they can heal to full for free

after I got BC's I massed them on every mission except all in which you need a special strategy to win and just plowed through them all,I think I had mabey 3 die the whole game including all in and once when I had forgotten about having used a couple in defense
    Reply Quote

have you never massed BCs?
    they have a super fast attack for small units and you can spam yamato on the big ones
    if you have tech reactor you can pump out 2 at a time,with all of them in a group that tiny damage that they do at super fast speeds (gets better when you upgrade dmg and have the protoss speed upgrade) they can take out all the smaller units as soon as they get in range,they are like a super powered void ray with more hp

if you get the mechs healing upgrade even if they get hurt they can heal to full for free

after I got BC's I massed them on every mission except all in which you need a special strategy to win and just plowed through them all,I think I had mabey 3 die the whole game including all in and once when I had forgotten about having used a couple in defense

Super fast attacking is nice but they just don't seem like a unit that as I like. As it stands Reavers, High temps, Infestors, Phoenix and DTs are my favorite units. Bcs and Carriers and other big tech units are just a send in and job done and there's no fun in that compared to sneak killing new expos with DTs or harrasing working lines with phoenix. Oh and the Jackson is pretty much just another BC in Your Arsenal but me he's just an overpriced piece of metal when an infestor could do that job with more enjoyable experience and isn't that what games are about. Also I have a hard time believing that you only lost 3 BCs to kerrigan.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]