StarCraft® II

In Utter Darkness

hey all, I am having trouble getting the 750 additional kills in the Utter Darkness Protoss Mission. I always get to about 2050 and then get killed. I have tried many different strategies and combinations of units. Any help would be nice on how you survived the last Zerg Blow?
Reply Quote
Beginning: Dark Templar wall at the chokes. Picked off Overseers before they came too close.

After archives sealed, moved up to high ground and massed Collossi and Void Rays, and used Graviton Beam on all the hybrids. Walled off with Gateways and turtled, got about 2900 kills.

You can also abuse Vortex. Good luck.
Reply Quote
Any help would be nice on how you survived the last Zerg Blow?

well technically none of us ever suvived it... that's kinda the point of that mission...

but i managed to beat it on brutal with a DT wall, and that's 2500 kills just to pass the mission
Reply Quote
I am about to try now. May need some more help
Reply Quote
Man it is hard to just even keep my base alive at the very end. I tried after the archive closed massing voids and and the gravity, but it didn't work. and a gateway blockade. guess I will have to keep trying. I just really want the Zeratul Icon and this is the last achievement I need.
Reply Quote
what difficulty were you playing on?

i had to kill myself on normal lol
Reply Quote
I swear, my first attempt I got 2249 kills and all i had left were probes. I was clicking like a fool trying to get 1 stupid zergling kill with my probes, but I couldnt do it. :(

The next couple attempts I tried new things, but never even broke 2100 kills.

Finally, I tried what everyone keeps suggesting. DT Walls are perfect. You get at least 4 waves before they send overseers, that gives you plenty of time to amass an army and lay down ridiculous numbers of cannons. You can usually get 6 waves with the DTs, if you're quick with the Phoenixes and sniping the overseers.

While I was safe, I massed Void Rays and Carriers. Lot of people dont like the carriers here, but they worked really well for me. I made at least a dozen + the ones they give you. Carriers absolutely owned everything that wasnt a hybrid and the void rays took care of hybrids. My Collosi were almost useless, there was just too much air... I walled off my ramps with immortals and just waited for them to attack. Numbers took care of themselves.

Dont forget to turn your DTs into Archons when you fall back. Once the overseers are everywhere, they're pretty useless. Archons should get you a buncha kills at least.
Reply Quote
It's not pretty, but to easily get the achievement on normal just have about 30 phoenix and the rest of your cap as colossus, then spam cannons all over the place.
Have the cannons completely walling off your two ramps in time for the archive being sealed, move up there with the colossus behind them, and all air in the middle, and move the phoenix around like before picking up all hybrids. They do monstrous damage to cannons so intercept them.
Reply Quote
I actually got the achievments on Hard mode after beating it on normal. I assume it's because they threw so much more at me than normal.
Reply Quote
I can get up to the last attack where it is basically just mass air that the zerg have. which is around 1900 zerg I have killed by then. I am gonna try massing cannons on ramps instead of Gateways. I am playing on Normal. I am just not a heavy Protoss Player. I am more Terran. that si why I don't get to 2250. The first time I played this i got to about 2150.
Reply Quote
I actually got the achievments on Hard mode after beating it on normal. I assume it's because they threw so much more at me than normal.

HOw did you get the achievement on hard when it says you have to get it on normal.
Reply Quote
I just made a record myself on this mission, first time doing it on Brutal <-< 3524, but already got the +750 achievement second time i did this on Hard. Shame there aren't the same achievements for different levels of difficulty
Reply Quote
I obviously don't have the best strategy since I barely got 2500 kills on brutal, but I do have a few tips that are good to do no matter what:

-Use Gravitation beam as much as possible on all hybrids
-When you can tell that you can't fight them anymore (probably tons of hybrids), save all your air units and fly them into space so you can get more kills from zerg air units.
Reply Quote
I got this one on brutal, and the key is upgrades.

Upgrade all your ground forces weapons, shields, and armor ASAP.
Then of course upgrade your air units.

Just clump an assload of colossi, void rays, and then carriers right behind the Archive, and wall them in with a generous amount of cannons.

I got 3,300+ kills with this strat on brutal. It was surprisingly simple... Again, the key is upgrades.

The archive was also at full health/shields when it went down, and I had 200 supply worth of units still up.
Reply Quote
Just so you know... you don't HAVE to protect the archives to beat this mission on hard mode. If you have already gotten the achievement for the archives on a different difficulty level, you could just pull your force back to the top ramp, where you are only defending two close entrances, instead of three more distant entrances.

I just made a sizeable ball of colossus and stalkers with a few zealots for my ground forces. Then had a big ball of phoenix and void rays. Didn't waste cash on building any cannons on the ground floor. Used a lot of the phoenix gravity ability and cut through em. On hard I got to about 2250 kills. I think the mission said afterwards that I needed 325 more kills for the next achievement level. Not sure how I would get that many more, just better micro it seems.

Also, don't forget to make sure you rebuild your pylons. Have 2-3 probes for each mineral patch being mined at both Nexus. Spawn a couple of extra gateways to make your ground units faster.
Reply Quote
I got the 750 on brutal.

Did NOT use the DT strat, did not like it.

I basically fell back, cannons galore, about 10 colossi on the little outer circle thing, and massed high templars.

Every time the zergs came in I stormed the choke(s). This causes the brutal AI to fall back after taking some hits in, allowing your cannons and colossi and voids/carriers to get some cheap shots in.

I held the line.
Reply Quote
I got it this time after just waking up.
Reply Quote

HOw did you get the achievement on hard when it says you have to get it on normal.

If you fulfill a normal achievement's conditions on hard or (I assume) brutal, you get credit for it. Although on this mission the base number of kills you need to pass goes up with difficulty. The +750 more, etc, is just added on top of that.
Reply Quote
Really surprised nobody uses them, but high templars seriously own the heck out of this mission. If you have about 8-10 protected by DTs/Collosi, etc, they can ravage the swarm extremely fast.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]