StarCraft® II

Units that can 'crush' things

In the campaign, there's a mission where you control Tychus when he's in that big thor. As you walk around, the thor crushes ambient doodads, like lamp posts, cars, etc. I've been fiddling with the map editor and I'm a total newb at it; I can't figure out how to make other units who can crush things like that. Can anyone help out?

I'm kind of interested in making a silly map that's like Gundam or an old Power Rangers where giant robots fight giant monsters. Local buildings and things would get destroyed as they fight. I'm not sure if I can eventually get that, but it's at least a fun undertaking. ;p

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Have you tried looking at the map in the editor?
Reply Quote
Maybe just have anything that goes near them be destroyed? Thus giving the illusion of them getting crushed? :D
Reply Quote
I would try opening up that map and seeing how they did it, like Quanta said. But barring that, you could try automatically destroying / killing anything that enters the unit's footprint. (I'm assuming there's a way to do that, possibly by attaching a region to the unit that is the same size as its footprint.)
Reply Quote
It would be done the same way as a maze map is done (if you ever played those). Basically, when a unit is a certain distance from another it dies. You can easily do this with triggers, if you're familiar with them.
Edited by RabidFrog on 8/11/2010 12:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I did finally find the Odin in the map editor. It took me awhile because I was looking for Tychus at first. Oops :p

He does have a strange ability I'm not sure I understand entirely- Odin Wreckage. I'm assuming that has something to do with it. The flage checked for it are Ignore Facing, Ignore Placement, Suppress Movement, and Wait Until Stopped. I'm not sure if that's relevant or not. ;p
Reply Quote
I'd think that Odin Wreckage would have more to do with the Odin being wrecked rather than the Odin wrecking stuff. I haven't checked it out myself yet, though.
Reply Quote
You want to open up the map in the campaign and pay attention to the trigger "Odin Stomps Stuff!" This is the trigger that handles the Odin stomping stuff! In it, you will find out how the Odin stomping stuff! is accomplished.

To save you some trouble, here's a copy of the "Odin Stomps Stuff!" trigger. Quote to see the formatting.

Odin Stomps Stuff!
Events
Timer - Every 0.25 seconds of Game Time
Local Variables
Conditions
GameOver == false
InCinematic == false
(Odin is alive) == true
Actions
Unit Group - Pick each unit in (Any units in (Region((Position of Odin), 10.0)) owned by player P06_CIVILIANS matching Excluded: Air, Missile, Dead, Hidden, with at most Any Amount) and do (Actions)
Actions
General - If (Conditions) then do (Actions) else do (Actions)
If
(Custom value 0 of (Picked unit)) == 0.0
Or
Conditions
(Unit type of (Picked unit)) == Civilian (Male)
(Unit type of (Picked unit)) == Civilian (Female)
(Unit type of (Picked unit)) == Scientist
Then
Player - Turn player P06_CIVILIANS Unit Fidgets flag Off
Unit - Set (Picked unit) custom value 0 to 99.0
Animation - Play Fidget Inferior animation for (Actor for (Picked unit)) as Default, using Play Forever options and Default Time blend time
Else
Unit Group - Pick each unit in (Any units in (Region((Position of Odin), 2.75)) owned by player 0 matching Excluded: Air, Missile, Dead, Hidden, with at most Any Amount) and do (Actions)
Actions
If
(Custom value 1 of (Picked unit)) == 99.0
Then
Unit - Kill (Picked unit)
Else
Unit Group - Pick each unit in (Any units in (Region((Position of Odin), 2.75)) owned by player P06_CIVILIANS matching Excluded: Air, Missile, Dead, Hidden, with at most Any Amount) and do (Actions)
Actions
If
(Custom value 1 of (Picked unit)) == 99.0
Then
Unit - Kill (Picked unit)
Else
Reply Quote
wow they sure did go about that in a round about manner.. 1+1 = 2.. orrrr... .1+.1+.1+.1+.1..... etc..
Reply Quote
Where is odin in the map editor?
Reply Quote
You could also edit SS_Collisioncheck behaviors as they do damage to all units around the unit that has them when they collide. However I think they damage the unit that has them as well but it could be modified I am sure.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]