StarCraft® II

Artanis or Zeratul

I dont really like Artanis that much because he seemed like he was so clueless and inexperienced in Brood War.

However I like the idea of him learning from his mistakes and rising to become the leader of the Protoss. I like Zeratul and all but Artanis as a leader who has learned from his past I would like to see.

That and when he arrived in that Protoss level he came in as a badass
Reply Quote
Part of me wishes the protoss we were in SC 1 would return, but if that can't happen it seems likely Zeratul is the next main choice as Artanis is probably gonna be busy acting more in the leadership role.
Reply Quote
I'm thinking selendis is gonna be taking a lead role. Would be very politically correct or something.
And yeah I liked Artanis's SC1 voice way better.
I think unlike hots though LotV is gonna be based a lot on politics between the protoss... if they play it right and develop some of the characters we saw in the dark templar saga, it could come out very well.
Reply Quote
The Protoss we were in SC1 WAS ARTANIS.

Look it up somewhere...not really interested in digging it back from the grave.

But I must say...Artanis was pretty naive back in BW.
Glad to see him appear epic in WoL. I want his old VA back though...

If I was given a choice...it would be either Zeratul or Selendis. Not sure how the fans would take to playing a female protagonist for both expansions but I think it would be a nice switch from the usual males.
Unfortunately, it will most likely be Zeratul. I mean, Artanis needs some help from the elder assassin man.
Reply Quote
I feel like Zeratul should always move through the shadows, appearing to give prophecies and fight Kerrigan and then disappear for a while. So Artanis.
Reply Quote

If I was given a choice...it would be either Zeratul or Selendis. Not sure how the fans would take to playing a female protagonist for both expansions but I think it would be a nice switch from the usual males.
Unfortunately, it will most likely be Zeratul. I mean, Artanis needs some help from the elder assassin man.

Its canon, its also !@#$ing stupid and doesnt make any sense at all.

Why would he have been demoted after this great battle? why is everyone getting on his case for lacking combat experience? Why is he so naive? why does he not respect Terrans at all/forgot they were in the final battle at the Overmind? why was his base complete %^-* in the final level of Brood War?

I refuse to acknowledge he was the same Executor of the first game
Reply Quote

That makes no sense as I'm fairly sure I remember Artanis speaking to the PC during mission briefings.

If that is the case in some weird deluted retcon of the game then I go with Zeratul.
Reply Quote
Original Starcraft, Zeratul is darker, deeper, and has a winning resume:

"I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...
Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare."

Seriously, how can Artanis even dream of topping that? ;)

Apparently, he turns from *that* in Starcraft Original to an old hermit guy in Starcraft 2. I was so sad when I heard that his voice went from deep to just old...

No matter who the main character in Legacy of the Void will be, I doubt they can outdo this, either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z7PoVMNyfI

It will remain in my eyes the ultimate display of Protawesome even if Blizzard cheapened its "ultimate sacrifice" value by deciding that Tassadar's not really dead.

No other alien video can draw so many manly tears and at the same time making suicide bombing look heroic.

So... I guess I'm a Starcraft Original man...
Reply Quote
To clarify, I meant the Executor in SC1 Episode III was Artanis according the Blizzard.
There has been no confirmation on who the executor in Brood War was that we played as. Some smart theorycrafters do believe Selendis may be a strong possibility (which would make a ton of sense).

Praetor isn't a demotion. I hardly believe that the fact he is the youngest to 'achieve' this position is a demotion. Besides Praetor = Prelate in terms of rank. Since our good pal Zeratul is a prelate himself, I think we can assume Praetor is a higher rank than Executor (or at least a very high one indeed).

02/27/2013 08:21 PMPosted by Galdos
I refuse to acknowledge he was the same Executor of the first game

Whatever floats your boat. But he was younger then. Back in good old 1998.
It was 2010 when the sequel came out...and Artanis was far less ignorant. Albeit lacking a good voice actor.

Sorry if you interpreted my info/refuse to acknowledge it.
Reply Quote
I hope it's Selendis. And I wanna see Jake in the campaign somewhere.
Edited by Gwaihir on 3/6/2013 8:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
I preferred Zeratul in BW, but I prefer Artanis now. Zeratul seems more like a beaten old dog who is quickly losing his teeth.

That makes no sense as I'm fairly sure I remember Artanis speaking to the PC during mission briefings.

If that is the case in some weird deluted retcon of the game then I go with Zeratul.

Artanis was promoted in Brood War, which was his first ever appearance. In the original SC, the player was Artanis.
Edited by Wolfy on 3/9/2013 2:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
Fenix. Zeratul must be the wise side character, he is the gandalf of the sc universe. He is always right and gives good advices but is not the maincharacter.
I never liked artanis, even i didnt see a lot of him in Wol to change my mind.
Tassadar should be the perfect leader but i will be pisses off if he is revived
So i prefer a revived fenix because he didnt had an epic death like tassadar and he shoulded be mentioned in all that crap of raynor-sarah relationship in wol
Reply Quote
03/02/2013 04:48 PMPosted by UltraNoob
Praetor isn't a demotion. I hardly believe that the fact he is the youngest to 'achieve' this position is a demotion. Besides Praetor = Prelate in terms of rank. Since our good pal Zeratul is a prelate himself, I think we can assume Praetor is a higher rank than Executor (or at least a very high one indeed).

Fenix was a Praetor, he did all his fighting on the frontlines. He doesnt command, he leads (if that makes sense) He is like a Captain leading a company when the Executor is a General.

The Executor commands entire FLEETS. Tassadar commanded the fleet to destroy the Terran worlds, he was an Executor. You always hear that Executors are commanding the fleet (I think the full title is Executor of the Fleet) while the Praetor runs on the ground with a psi-blade or in a scout. Ya Praetor has to be a lower rank. (the Dark Templar dont have a massive fleet)

Also being the youngest to reach Praetor doesnt mean anything if an Executor is indeed a higher rank.

As I said, I like the way he acted in SC2 and I voted for him. But they did an awful job with him in Brood War if you think of him as the Executor of vanilla.
Reply Quote
Praetor is a higher rank. If High Executor was higher then Selendis would of become hierarch instead of Praetor Artanis. It was shocking for a protoss so young such as Artanis to achieve Praetor, but not so young to achieve high executor? The only person to give Fenix orders is Aldaris or the Conclave while Fenix gives out orders and makes and plans/strategies in the mission briefings. Also Protoss ranks and unit names are based off Greek military structures. The Praetor was one who was in charge of the army while an Executor was one who was instructed to carry out an important task such as Tassadar, take command of this expedition and glass the terran worlds. Praetor sounds like a higher rank than Executor. Fenix was also dubbed Steward of the Templar which sounds like a high rank in government matters.
Reply Quote
I never liked Artanis. But Zeratul in Starcraft 2 isn't nearly as cool as he was in Starcraft 1. At this point, I'd be equally disappointed either way.
Reply Quote
Seriously, who makes motherships anymore?

Mass recall is amazing. It's like if you were playing poker, you put all your chips down, lost the hand, and then snatched all your chips back.
Edited by Aaronomus on 3/28/2013 9:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Fenix FTW come back as an INFESTED!!!!
Reply Quote
Fenix FTW come back as an INFESTED!!!!

Protoss can't be infested...
Reply Quote

In StarCraft, you played as Artanis. He never appeared in the original Protoss campaign, because you were in his head.

In BroodWar, however, you're just some random executor. At that point, you start seeing Artanis from the third person.
Reply Quote
Artanis is cool and I want him in the campaign but I feel a stronger bond with Zeratul. Maybe it's because throughout the series he's just been there being bad !@#. Zeratul and Artanis should definitely be Brotoss though. Have them both in there. Make one more dominant of course but maybe have Artanis be an advisor to Zeratul.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]