StarCraft® II

Dirty Trix

So, I've gotten into the habit of capping my opponents gas when I send my drones out to scout. I find it useful in a few ways and would like your opinions on it.

1. if they plan on fast teching, they have to waste the time building lower level units to destroy it or (if they're silly) their probe/drone/scv's to kill it.

2. if they're planning a rush, they'll usually take the time to kill it slowing their rush.

3. it gives the scout a bunch of extra hp which makes it last a lot longer.

discuss.
Reply Quote
Clever. I'm going to try this one.
Reply Quote
im going to add to this that if your micro is good enough to keep up unit production at your base, you can cancel and then remake the extractor almost continuously, or until your attention drifts :D
Reply Quote
one opponent decided to take his mineral line to kill it. I laughed and pumped out some zerglings. GG
Reply Quote
*cough*bump*cough*
Reply Quote
I do this in 1v1 as it lets me see for a small are in their base, and sometimes you get somebody that will pull his whole supply line off mining to kill it. Then you just cancel it and throw up another one. (I've seen that happen twice)
Reply Quote
A morphing extractor will build faster than (I think) 3 workers attacking it. When it's about done, I cancel and remorph.

I think I'm clever, but maybe I'm wasting my minerals.
Reply Quote
if they're using workers to attack it you're definitly not wasting minerals.
Reply Quote
The best use of this is for scouting purposes...allows you to keep an eye on their base while they try to kill it off. Otherwise you're just wasting minerals. The only real reason I could justify this is if you use a Drone on it because you can't get it back out.

Otherwise it's just a harass technique. One Rine/Zealot/2-Lings takes it down fast enough and often times I'm gonna switch to a rush strat knowing you just dumped 150m on an ineffective harass and I want to take advantage of that and the only way to do so is very early game.

It's not exactly bush league stuff to do this, but bottom line is any competent opponent should make you pay for doing so.
Reply Quote
interesting, most times the drone will die anyway, but a measly 25 mineral will make him a real nuisance... I will have to try this.
Reply Quote
it is common to scout with a drone and also common for it to get killed (getting inside a wall is a death sentence), so that 50 minerals is gone anyways. build an extractor or not and your drone is still often trapped and dead.

if you slow down a reaper (or helion?) build then it can be worth it. if it shows you they are building reapers or fast teching or something its worth it.

"often times I'm gonna switch to a rush strat knowing you just dumped 150m" - psuasskicker
often times players dont know how much a basic building costs and it holds them back. it is also pretty hard to switch to a rush aroudn whne peopel have 12-14 or so supply. most rushes start earlier than that
Edited by yazovyet on 8/13/2010 6:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
As yaz said, the 50 minerals are gone for the drone either way. the extractor is only 25 minerals. So, you lose a couple seconds worth of minerals for at least a 15 second distraction that lets you know what they're doing and possibly slow their strat.
Reply Quote
I don't think sealing off just one of enemy's extractor will set them back on teching much at all. It just requires 1 or 2 of most basic t1 unit to kill it, and 1 refinery should be enough before that to get basic techs going. That early in the game that 50 mineral is pretty precious too...

Although I can see how this could set mass reaper attack back.

I still wouldn't do it as it would dent my economy and making me more vulnerable to mineral heavy t1 attack, but interesting concept indeed. I used to do it back in my first 2 ladder games (because I remember seeing it from BW replay WHILE back), but I haven't tried it since then.
Reply Quote
it is common to scout with a drone and also common for it to get killed (getting inside a wall is a death sentence), so that 50 minerals is gone anyways. build an extractor or not and your drone is still often trapped and dead.

if you slow down a reaper (or helion?) build then it can be worth it. if it shows you they are building reapers or fast teching or something its worth it.

"often times I'm gonna switch to a rush strat knowing you just dumped 150m" - psuasskicker
often times players dont know how much a basic building costs and it holds them back. it is also pretty hard to switch to a rush aroudn whne peopel have 12-14 or so supply. most rushes start earlier than that

How exactly are you slowing anything down when you can only cap off one gas? If your opponent is actually slowed by this technique then it's not a game you should lose anyway.

One Drone capping, fine. Lotta people build two assimalators, which is a 150m dump that turns me into a rusher, and no it's not difficult to switch up at 12 supply.
Reply Quote
this is for scouting purposes, not slowing down tech or rushes. you can cancel and rebuild this extractor again and again for a pretty decent amount of time, and i don't think sacrificing 50 minerals for that amount of scouting is bad at all. it's less than 100 minerals for sac'ing an overlord, or the the 50/100 to make an overseer for changelings.
Reply Quote
I don't disagree that scouting makes this a viable solution and it's definitely a good use of 25m early in the game, particularly if the Drone is trapped behind a wall-in. But let's not pretending this is slowing any serious strategy for other players...
Reply Quote
Capping gas= marine, zealot, or ling rush. That's about it. You've shot yourself in the foot when you cap gas.
Reply Quote
The best use of this is for scouting purposes...allows you to keep an eye on their base while they try to kill it off. Otherwise you're just wasting minerals. The only real reason I could justify this is if you use a Drone on it because you can't get it back out.

Otherwise it's just a harass technique. One Rine/Zealot/2-Lings takes it down fast enough and often times I'm gonna switch to a rush strat knowing you just dumped 150m on an ineffective harass and I want to take advantage of that and the only way to do so is very early game.

It's not exactly bush league stuff to do this, but bottom line is any competent opponent should make you pay for doing so.

The thing is, the zerg extractor costs 25 minerals, and only 6 if you cancel it.

So it's not 150m on ineffectual harrass, it's 12. Those are two very different numbers.

Edit:

There have been times when this has backfired on my opponent. A protoss once came in and built on both of my gasses, and then void ray rushed.

I had been massing marines, because that was the only unit I could build. I guess the dude didn't realize that void rays are terrible against marines, or he didn't follow his actions through to their conclusion or something. Just saying, if you grab your opponent's gas, realize what strat that will force them into.
Edited by Phalanx on 8/13/2010 9:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Capping gas= marine, zealot, or ling rush. That's about it. You've shot yourself in the foot when you cap gas.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/56213-1v1-terran-zerg-xelnaga-caverns

here is a really funny replay of it working
Reply Quote
i use this alot, i scouted an opponent toss for 4 mins doing this once, i won ofc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]