StarCraft® II

Lack of New Zerg units

Blizzard claims the role of the lurker is filled by the baneling and roach.

Personally I dont' buy that.
Reply Quote
Yea, i would love to see the lurkers return, I think they could safely be put in without making zerg too strong. I'm all for new and exciting units, but I really really want the lurker back, its a great unit, looks great, great portrait, nicely modeled and such a waste in its current form. But we shall see how it goes on the balancing side of things, dunno how they plan on adjusting
Reply Quote
yeah me too Gabriot :( we do need units to fill the roles of the lurker and defiler, but i don't want those units to come back. then it would just be SC1 zerg in 3D. i want new innovative units that fill those roles.

i could wait for an expansion for new units. but i don't want to wait for balance changes via patches to make zerg more on par with the other two races.

and i do think zerg needs an overhaul in the unit department and if its a big overhaul i don't mind waiting for Heart of the Swarm.

It still would suck that we have to PAY for the balance.
Unless the updates aren't expansion specific and you're really just paying for a nice campaign (I would btw..)
Reply Quote
For whatever reason the old ultralisk image with the impaling tentacles sparked something in my imagination. What if the Roach could be "evolved" into a new breed of the zerg. Deemed the ripper. It would be an assult unit with the ability to destroy the targets armor(and maybe an aoe attack). I thought this might 1. make up for the lack of anti armor units before tier 3 for zerg and give them an interesting unit(besides it sounds intimidating)
Edited by alsowikk on 8/17/2010 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Was anyone else mad Nydus Worms do not attack?

I would have ##%%ing loves to go all dune on my enemies. What if if could deploy units, or attack, not both? Would anyone else love that? I just wish nydus worms were more that glorified buildings.
Reply Quote
That'd be nice if ultralisks or nydus worms had a "devour" move similar to warcraft III Turtle units that could eat one unit, and slowly drain their health until either the unit dies, or the ultra dies and the unit would pop back out alive.
Reply Quote
As you can see, Terran and Protoss had a lot of reimagining of their units (Dragoons got repurposed and replaced).
Not trying to QQ this up but kinda feel like zerg didn't really evolve much in the 5 year span the game went through like Terran (Who were extremely innovative in 5 years) and Protoss (Who actually REGRESSED to some of their old war techniques as well as combining the Void arts into their culture)

Stalkers are not new. They are Dragoons with an optional ability (blink).

And the Mothership looks newer than it is. Its abilities are EXACTLY THE SAME as the Arbiter. The only difference is now you only get one "Arbiter" and it's a little harder to kill.

Yet I think I would still agree that the Zerg need some re-tooling. I just don't agree that they're so unchanged compared to the others.
Reply Quote
bump lets keep this thread alive!
Reply Quote
Stalkers are much more fragile then their dragoon counterparts
Reply Quote
with all the new tools terran and protoss got (a good example is protoss and warp in) i feel zerg got shafted in the innovation area. Burrow is a unique ability for the zerg, lets cash in on that and create some game breaking mechanics around it

for example we could have a dual purpose unit like the viking. once burrowed it does this, this and this; when not burrowed it does this, this and this (different from the burrowed abilities) i think that would make for some interesting gameplay imo some real interesting gameplay.
Reply Quote
Zerg were put in development last...and it really is showing :(
Reply Quote
Zerg were put in development last...and it really is showing :(

indeed it is showing :( i wish my adorable zerg could have more interesting and dynamic gameplay
Edited by Jotunheim on 8/17/2010 4:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
bump keep posting! imma try and perfect my zerg by swimming through the sludge that i feel when facing terrans :P
Reply Quote
The infestor in my opinion is the only real new unit.

Banelings are just modified infested terrans.

Roaches are just a hybrid (crappy one at that) between hydras and lurkers.

Corrupters are just Devourers

Brood Lords are just Guardians that spawn a broodling when they shoot.

Yea, I see Banelings as grounded scourge that move slower.

And Guardians were more powerful because they morphed from Mutalisks, a spammable unit, unlike corruptors which are useless if not as AA.

And the thing is that Blizz removed very powerful units and replaced them with ones that simply don't cut it. SC1 queen was a beast, it had spawn broodlings, which worked on tanks... that would be so useful against SC2 Terran. We also had Defilers with a much stronger Fungal Growth, (plague did dot damage way faster, no need to stop units that will just get 1 shotted a couple of seconds later) and had the Zerg's best spell ever, Dark Swarm. We also had the best ground defensive unit in the game (lurkers) and the best scout/anti air unit (scourge). What did SC2 give us to compensate? Very, very bad units in comparison. SC1 zerg in SC2 would make SC2 a balanced game all around.
Reply Quote
The infestor in my opinion is the only real new unit.

Banelings are just modified infested terrans.

Roaches are just a hybrid (crappy one at that) between hydras and lurkers.

Corrupters are just Devourers

Brood Lords are just Guardians that spawn a broodling when they shoot.

Yea, I see Banelings as grounded scourge that move slower.

And Guardians were more powerful because they morphed from Mutalisks, a spammable unit, unlike corruptors which are useless if not as AA.

And the thing is that Blizz removed very powerful units and replaced them with ones that simply don't cut it. SC1 queen was a beast, it had spawn broodlings, which worked on tanks... that would be so useful against SC2 Terran. We also had Defilers with a much stronger Fungal Growth, (plague did dot damage way faster, no need to stop units that will just get 1 shotted a couple of seconds later) and had the Zerg's best spell ever, Dark Swarm. We also had the best ground defensive unit in the game (lurkers) and the best scout/anti air unit (scourge). What did SC2 give us to compensate? Very, very bad units in comparison. SC1 zerg in SC2 would make SC2 a balanced game all around.

Im glad they removed those powerful units, its just a shame they didn't add units that were just as powerful. i personally do not want old units from SC1 to make a comeback. im sure it wouldn't be difficult to try new units. imo blizz feels like they're bein lazy. but hey maybe they are workin on it.
Reply Quote
For whatever reason the old ultralisk image with the impaling tentacles sparked something in my imagination. What if the Roach could be "evolved" into a new breed of the zerg. Deemed the ripper

That unit was actually called the "Omegalisk" scrapped early on, sadly no model or anything in game yet (just huge ultra model), woulda looked great. A lot of good names wasted on scrapped units, Brutalisk, Omegalisks, Lurkers... one day... one day...
Reply Quote
heh lets turn the brutalisk from the campaign into something funky and awesome
Reply Quote
bump!
Reply Quote
at this point i would take any kind of help from blizzard! i feel like i should get to throw a party every time my weak ass units manage to scrap together a win
Reply Quote
by far the best thing to happen to zerg is the larvae production ability. Queen is such a great unit. imo it should be made into a core unit. remove the move speed penalty and it would work so great with hydras, roaches and ultras....maybe too powerful XD only one way to find out!

I disagree, queen is a horrible unit, if larva production was such a problem in the last game they could very well have changed the hives, not create a unit that i have to baby sit every 30sec throughout the game.

Infesters are cool I like them, probably too much, but their abilities stem from defilers and queens in SC1, there not really that new...

Roaches are a nice concept, and are at least new but I have to ask if you needed a unit to tank for things like hydras why not just buff zerglings.

Air is just bad, there’s just nothing that can take it…

And then there’s the whole “swarm’ aspect to the Zerg that seems to be forgotten, Question….
If the whole swarm aspect was thrown by the way side, isn’t that a big clue that you missed the point of the race entirely?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]