StarCraft® II

Why the map market place will fail miserably.

With blizzard excited for the new map market place, I feel I must play spoiler here and predict a stagnant doom to the already poor system. The idea that anyone would pay for a custom map is insane. We never have paid for these before and the concept of doing so now is absurd. On top of that, with blizzard playing big brother and stifling creativity, the maps on there should probably be sub par at best. On top of that, a large number of us wont buy them and I am under the assumption that you could only play said map with those who paid for it. This leads to another problem as to how this would mesh with the popularity system. Will a map be exempt from this system and given its own tab just because you were made to pay a dollar for it? The custom map system is already flawed and this seems to be a final nail in the coffin. To put it simply, I dont like it.
Reply Quote
I'm wondering if Blizzard would do a free to play style, where map makers could sell special units within the free map or offer unique models that players can use. That would actually be pretty neat and convince some talented people to make maps on battle.net.
Reply Quote
As far as I've heard is a one-time fee per map.

They haven't said how large the fee is nor if the maker event gets to chose it himself.

What they have said is that maps that make it up there will be total conversion maps. Not a SC2 unit to be found.

WW2 Diplo might someday become that, and is certainly heading in that direction with the custom units.

I get the feeling, if anything, that they didn't want the custom map system until HotS. Thats fine and all, its also retarded and shows a complete lack of perception of reality.

The people to make those mods have already quit. On top of that the declining custom map player base coupled with the apathy of spending more money on a compay they feel has betrayed them has made many of the potential buyers (ie non-college students with jobs and money) look elsewhere, already, for places to spend their money.
Reply Quote
I'd buy Desert Strike and maybe Star Battle. However if I had never played either of them I wouldn't spend money and hope they're good.

I personally feel both of those games are better than starcraft's melee.
Reply Quote
Those games wouldn't be viable maps, as per Focke's description. They have to be completely custom - you can't use anything from SC2 I believe, or just any Blizzard material in general.
Reply Quote
So we could pay money for maps that can't use Blizzard material or pay no money and play maps that can use Blizzard material. Sounds genius.

There hasn't been a surplus of good custom maps as it is and they expect people to come up with them from scratch?
Reply Quote
MVP
The Map Marketplace won't even support the sale of maps on it's release, so it is not relying on that to allow it to be successful.

12/16/2011 05:34 PMPosted by FockeWulf
As far as I've heard is a one-time fee per map.

I have to believe they'd allow us to do vanity-style transactions as well. It's as simple as adding a Mod with whatever extras you want to sell.

12/16/2011 07:05 PMPosted by GreyHunter
There hasn't been a surplus of good custom maps as it is and they expect people to come up with them from scratch?

In time... In time. The great maps of SC1/War3 weren't made in the first year the game was released. Hell, there are still things people are figuring out now about SC1 Editing, over a decade after its' release. It'll take a lot of time for people to really wrap their heads around the editor and determine what exactly it is capable of.
Reply Quote
i guess its also wishful thinking that 10 years from know we will have better technology...

Has blizzard released any news(not rumors) about it, besides it wont be out before hots.
Reply Quote
12/18/2011 12:36 AMPosted by Sixen
In time... In time. The great maps of SC1/War3 weren't made in the first year the game was released. Hell, there are still things people are figuring out now about SC1 Editing, over a decade after its' release. It'll take a lot of time for people to really wrap their heads around the editor and determine what exactly it is capable of.

this is just another admin trying to defend a failing aspect of the game rather then just being honest and saying hey you know what? Ya we screwed up guys, sorry our bad. We will make corrections to make the system better in the next version.
Reply Quote
Sixen has been defending Blizzard for years and years before he was an MVP.
Reply Quote
12/15/2011 09:34 PMPosted by Drmigit
With blizzard excited for the new map market place, I feel I must play spoiler here and predict a stagnant doom to the already poor system. The idea that anyone would pay for a custom map is insane. We never have paid for these before and the concept of doing so now is absurd. On top of that, with blizzard playing big brother and stifling creativity, the maps on there should probably be sub par at best. On top of that, a large number of us wont buy them and I am under the assumption that you could only play said map with those who paid for it. This leads to another problem as to how this would mesh with the popularity system. Will a map be exempt from this system and given its own tab just because you were made to pay a dollar for it? The custom map system is already flawed and this seems to be a final nail in the coffin. To put it simply, I dont like it.

I agree totally. I play customs a lot over melee now since I don't have a lot of time to play, and do you know how many customs I would actually shell out some money for? MAYBE 2 or 3, and even then maybe a couple bucks. Those would probably be SOTIS (which I only play once a week or something), Star Battle (which I played a lot early on) and maybe Marine Arena (which I just find fun).

This system is going to be screwed from the start.
Reply Quote
I'm not going to pay for a freaking custom map.
Reply Quote
12/18/2011 12:36 AMPosted by Sixen

I agree... the SC2 editor is so complicated because it's so powerful - which I believe is a factor in driving people away from creating customs. But with so many tutorials being created by the people who figure things out, it'll help new map makers create new, creative and exciting maps.
Reply Quote
It's obvious any map that will actually sell is going to have to have extensive single player content. In fact, I doubt multiplayer content will even be that desired in the market place for quite a while.

Think of it this way, if a map maker promises you (and actually delivers) say 4-8 hours of single player content for just one dollar, then I don't see any reason why someone wouldn't buy it, assuming the single player content is of a higher quality then say... Any of wc3's rpgs.

Once people finally come around to the market system, I predict the single player content will still be a huge factor, and if map makers are foolish enough to to stray away from that after people start actually using the market place to buy maps, well then they'll simply not be successful. That being said, maps like "Desert Strike", or "Star Battle", would not survive in there present state if they slap a 1 dollar fee on the side.
Reply Quote
Bravo, he's not really represenative of Blizzard.

That being said, Blizzard really has no idea how much an honest apology and admission of wrongdoing means to people.

You can think about it in the perspective of political crises. Politicians who just fessed up to their mistakes off the bat got off well, even if they had to resign (but many of them have stayed and won reelection), while those who kept denying and denying ad nauseam to absurdity.. like Anthony Weiner when he didn't even do anything that bad...are forced out of office in shame.

It would mean so much to so many people if Blizzard said something like this:
"We tried to go in a new direction with SC2. It hasn't worked out that well, but we like to innovate at Blizzard, which is what makes for the other features of our games that you love. Unfortunately, innovation doesn't always produce winners. We're sorry we've developed a system that hasn't lived up to our expectations, and we will continue to work on developing a system that works."

You have no idea. The thing people most want is respect. What Blizzard is doing right now, even if they do eventually make a system that we like, is not respectful to their gamers, and that is what is primarily what is making us so furious, which is why so many people are desperate for a Blue post because it carries the hope of actually having the problem talked about with them, which implies respect.
Reply Quote
MVP
12/18/2011 07:49 AMPosted by BravoJuliet
this is just another admin trying to defend a failing aspect of the game rather then just being honest and saying hey you know what? Ya we screwed up guys, sorry our bad. We will make corrections to make the system better in the next version.

I'm not an admin, i'm a normal user like yourself. They have been honest and said they screwed up. They know the system is flawed. They're working on fixing it.

12/18/2011 12:28 PMPosted by Ash
Sixen has been defending Blizzard for years and years before he was an MVP.

Hey now, I defend what I believe in. On that same note, when I feel like Blizzard is doing something wrong (like the current naming system on Battle.net), I let them know about it.

It would mean so much to so many people if Blizzard said something like this:
"We tried to go in a new direction with SC2. It hasn't worked out that well, but we like to innovate at Blizzard, which is what makes for the other features of our games that you love. Unfortunately, innovation doesn't always produce winners. We're sorry we've developed a system that hasn't lived up to our expectations, and we will continue to work on developing a system that works."

I almost feel like they have? They've acknowledged the fact that the system is brand new and isn't perfect; it needs fixing.
Reply Quote
MVP
12/19/2011 08:11 AMPosted by Karawasa
Except that we have good reason to believe that. Prior history indicates this will be the case. Would you like to point to some history that makes you so confident the mapping scene will revive?

SC1 -> Brood War. Reign of Chaos -> Frozen Throne. So far, the mapping scene has grown upon the release of both of their previous RTS expansions. So... Yeah... The mapping scene will revive.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]