StarCraft® II

Implementing a fourth race

Greetings,
I'm an avid modder, but I yet haven't put my claws on this wonderful game. I have some ideas for a fourth race (no, it's not the Xel'Naga) but I have a doubt on how best to make it work. Should I butcher the game files, or create a custom map and then copy any changes over other maps? From what I gather, due to the online nature of the game, with authentication and all, modifying the files isn't very doable - also, I've heard than the game editor is more powerful than that of Warcraft III still.
Any suugestions?
Thanks!
Reply Quote
Hi Trotsky,

I am not sure what you mean by "due to the online nature of the game, with authentication and all, modifying the files isn't very doable". You can pretty much edit anything.

[How to include a Forth Race]
It depends if you plan on releasing multiple maps or just one map with the new custom race.

Multiple maps: create a mod, that way you can load the same work in each map.
Single map: Just start editing.

I don't think there is any harm either way. If you decide to work on a single map now, you can later break that map down to its components, grab the specific component (data,terrain, and/or triggers) and then rebuild a new map. I personally haven't done this, but I understand that others have.

Hope that helps.
Reply Quote
Well, I meant that hacking and slashing through the MPQs was not the way to "modify" a Blizzard™ game anymore. Yes, it seems making a simple custom scenario in a given map and then exporting any settings is the way to go. I will look into it. Thanks for the tip!

P.S: Would it be okay to use a known map? Is it fair use to create a mod in, say, Lost Temple (giving credit where it's due)? It's not that I don't like mapmaking, but if I'm about to begin a little project, I'd rather focus my time in one single goal at a time.
Reply Quote
MVP
Yeah, playing with the MPQ's really isn't necessary now that we have the ability to create SC2Mod's.
Reply Quote
Hi Trotsky,

I am not sure what you mean by "due to the online nature of the game, with authentication and all, modifying the files isn't very doable". You can pretty much edit anything.

[How to include a Forth Race]
It depends if you plan on releasing multiple maps or just one map with the new custom race.

Multiple maps: create a mod, that way you can load the same work in each map.
Single map: Just start editing.

I don't think there is any harm either way. If you decide to work on a single map now, you can later break that map down to its components, grab the specific component (data,terrain, and/or triggers) and then rebuild a new map. I personally haven't done this, but I understand that others have.

Hope that helps.

Yes and I very much hope that you have your own battle.net servers otherwise it won't help. Mods are broken on battle.net
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback. Reckon it's time to do some research and experiment with the editor.
Reply Quote
Trotsky: I'd be interested in working together on something like that. Hit me up if you want.
Reply Quote
Wilco.
Reply Quote
Hey can i have in-I made a Orc Race and i still need to figure out how to publish when i try to publish i get Default Attribute Values Could Not Be Validated? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]