StarCraft® II

The Hobbit

Anyone else excited about the movie coming out?
Reply Quote
Excited is a painful understatement.
Reply Quote
01/12/2012 04:00 PMPosted by Arlyne

This. I translated the runes on Thror's Map in the copy of the book that mom bought me back in '84...I've been waiting for a screen adaptation of this since '79 when the Rankin-Bass cartoon ran (on a local CBS channel in the Anchorage of my youth, IIRC).
Reply Quote
01/11/2012 05:56 PMPosted by Chronic
Anyone else excited about the movie coming out?

yes.
Reply Quote
03/02/2012 04:34 PMPosted by Dotanuki

This. I translated the runes on Thror's Map in the copy of the book that mom bought me back in '84...I've been waiting for a screen adaptation of this since '79 when the Rankin-Bass cartoon ran (on a local CBS channel in the Anchorage of my youth, IIRC).

i did the same thing...i also taught myself the tengwar alphabet as best as i could...even now i can still write my name in it lol but thats about it
Reply Quote
i am not as excited as some of you but much more excited than the people who haven't posted here. Am I the only one who is surprised that it is going to be a 2 part movie?
Reply Quote
is it? i just liked the first 3 LoTR movies and enjoyed the books alot. is the direvtor grom LoTR teh same for this movie too?
Reply Quote
First, much <3 for the Tengwar writing! That's excellent...I enjoyed looking at the characters in the LOTR appendices but I never did take the leap to writing 'em. I may have to do that someday...it would be funny to eventually teach my seven-month-old how to write Elvish, heh.

When the Jackson LOTR films were being produced in the late '90s I followed production details a bunch at http://www.theonering.net/. I was so psyched for the films I probably watched Quicktime renders of the trailers every day throughout '00. I'm glad I left my apartment long enough on July 4th that year to meet my future wife...but I digress. One of the first things I wondered was "what if he makes a Hobbit film someday?"

Many years later I'm following Jackson's Hobbit adaptation production details in a less fevered way...I think the following may be true:

• The story will be told in two films; the first one will be titled The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey; the second will probably have Tolkien's old title There And Back Again (I'm not sure about this)
  • Guillermo Del Toro was hired to direct; Jackson would produce (pay for) the films. Del Toro could or would not commit to a six-year production schedule, had to back out re: other projects of his own; Jackson took over direction at this juncture
  • Early on I read a rumor that the films would cover the 60 years in which Bilbo keeps The Ring to himself in Hobbiton; I think this idea was scrapped in favor of a longer treatment of the events of The Hobbit
  • Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]