Buying PC help needed

My girl friend wants to build a pc to run photoshop 5.1 at the cheapest she can. Im not very experienced and not sure what would be the best bang for her buck. I can put it together tho.
Any help will be appreciated.
Reply Quote
Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 Processor
Microsoft Windows XP(Service Pack 3), Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, Ultimate Enterprise(Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2), Windows 7.
1GB Memory
1024x768 screen (1280x800 recommended), with hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16 bit color and 256MB VRAM.
Some of the GPU accelerated features require Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0 graphics support."

It looks like any computer nowadays with the 500-700 price range will do just fine. I think they mostly come with quad-cores now. It doesn't look like CS5 requires an awesome GPU or anything, so you'll be just fine. However, some integrated/onboard GPUs might not be sufficient.

I recommend getting a 500 dollar computer and replace the graphics card with something better. I tried to assemble a 500 dollar computer with a decent GPU (not even that good, Radeon 4000 series I think) and a dual-core, but it turned out costing me 700 because my CPU melted down on my first try.
Turns out any computer not 800$ + is not worth building.

So just try buying a comp and replacing the graphics card. It should work fine, maybe keep up with later Photoshop versions too.

But if you don't have the dough, just go with a 500$ comp.

Also, stay AWAY from eMachines or Gateways. Try to look for cheap Acers, Dells, or HP computers.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Explain (256 characters max)