StarCraft® II

SC 2 HoTS release date: April 2012

Heart of the swarm is suppose to be coming out soon, but do you think the Diablo 3 delay could delay it even more? It is 18 months later & we do not even hear that the HoTS beta is somewhat close to being finished.

Article states that project director Greg Canessa assumes that it would come out in April 2012.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/10/starcraft-heart-of-the-swarm-release-date/#more-29757

Article states Spring 2012:
http://gnews.com/blizzard-sends-signals-for-sc2-heart-of-the-swarm-2012-18201025100312/

UPDATED:
There have been +20 articles coming out today about a free to play game that is being released soon. Blizzard responded that this game is Blizzard DOTA which will come out on the Blizzard arcade. Source:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/blizzard-prepping-new-free-to-play-game-6350946

Keep in mind that Blizzard arcade is suppose to be released with HOTS. Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/25/blizzard-dota-coming-soon-to-a-new-platform-called-blizzard-arc/

Soon could mean anything, but with Blizzard is supposely announcing important news March 9th during the Q4 2011 Financial call. Keep in mind this just could be a beta release date. Source confirmed by a MVP about HOTS release date: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/4079872560
Edited by jsb on 2/23/2012 5:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
I really hope that is true but fear it is not, Acti-Blizzard is probably focusing on getting D3 out and is taking there sweet time. Also the WoW community will start to moan about the MoP Beta Access from the Annual Pass so MoP might take priority as well. I would love to see further comfirmation on an April 2012 release though!
Reply Quote
Just having some information on the development stages of HOTS would be good enough for me. But, if it does come out in April . . . HOORAY! But, it will come out, when it comes out I guess, no sense getting too anxious.
Reply Quote
I think that if april was the target that open beta would have started by now. Assuming they are still doing open betas.
Reply Quote
probably gonna have a beta first. Seeing as there is no news of the beta, hots is never gonna come out... Imo
Reply Quote
Beta lasted six months for WoL so i assume the same for Hots inless there has been secretive testing for the sake of a quicker release. my guess is fall of 2012 assuming April is the -beta- release.
Reply Quote
We are talking about Blizzard. We cant be sure about ANY release date.
Reply Quote
No sign of beta or any current news about hots D:

Probably after summer or so....
Reply Quote
I would be (pleasantly) shocked if HotS shipped in April.
Reply Quote
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty coming in 2006
Reply Quote
It would be so cool so see HoTS in April ! Would love that !
Reply Quote
1. Blizzard will never try to compete with its own products. Ever. Thus, expect a 3 month (at the very least) gap between games released.

2. There are three new games from Blizzard being release this year, WoW:MoP, D3, and HotS.

3. D3 will be first because it's the farthest along in development. Expect a D3 announcement in a few weeks and release in March.

4. WoW makes Blizzard like 90% of their money, they're not going to make the same mistake they did with ICC, and they will definitely release MoP before everyone's annual pass runs out, so that means it will be release before October; probably released sometime this summer.

5. Therefor, HotS will be released sometime late this year, like November. Delaying a SC2 expansion doesn't really cost them anything, maybe slightly less sales when release but I doubt it. Delaying MoP means SIGNIFICANTLY less revenue each month.

TL;DR April will not happen.
Reply Quote
Also, I hate to be a further debbie downer, but that article is from October 2010, yea it aint gonna happen.
Reply Quote
the information is too old to be considered today
Reply Quote
Way to abuse your fanbase Blizzard.
Reply Quote
02/01/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Goyathla

They're one of the few companies that have stuck to their guns and haven't simplified their game for the lowest common denominator, made pricey DLC (In fact, all their DLC is free) and routinely polish their games to the absolute highest possible standard, as opposed to rushing them out every six months or year with no innovation.

Hardly abusive, I'd say.
Reply Quote
02/02/2012 07:33 PMPosted by Romeo

They're one of the few companies that have stuck to their guns and haven't simplified their game for the lowest common denominator, made pricey DLC (In fact, all their DLC is free) and routinely polish their games to the absolute highest possible standard, as opposed to rushing them out every six months or year with no innovation.

Hardly abusive, I'd say.

Not so sure about that. The fact they've had to send out so many patches solely to fix glitches that should've been caught after three years of development suggests they're as quick to push product of quality control as anyone.
Reply Quote
You will never find a game that is released without glitches. Ever. Besides, the majority of patches are minor balance tweaks, or add features, both of which are community services. One could compare Blizzard to another RTS company I love: Relic. Blizzard is fairly balanced out of the gate, has no game-breaking exploits and I have yet to have the game crash on me even once. When Dawn of War: SoulStorm was released, it was horribly imbalanced (As it was from Dark Crusade), had an exploit that allowed one race to muster a rapid and infinitely exploitable economy and to this day is still prone to lock-ups and crashes. First patch that came through for it? Three weeks. A patch to get rid of the game-breaking economy trick? Almost six months. This is ignoring stuff like Starjewelled, Auir Chef, Left 2 Die and Blizzard DOTA, all of which Blizzard spends devellopment time on, only to turn around and give the fans for free - something which almost no other company these days does.

If you're honestly arguing that Blizzard is hard on it's fans, you're being entirely too demanding. Blizzard is a beacon of fan service.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]