StarCraft® II

Smurf Accounts

So you think blizzard is gonna ban people with smurfs? Most of the are probably just learning a new race. I think if people wanna use a smurf then blizzard is gonna let them. I know they don't allow players to lose a game just so they can get demoted but if someone wants to spend an extra $60 on the game then so what? Blizzard probably needs the income for patches.
Reply Quote
Ty very much for all of your input everyone! I do still feel unsatisfied because I was told to post about this by blizzard on here and I want a response from blizzard. This really wasn't directed at anybody personally or even meant to cause controversy. I had no intention of actually griping at the players even though I did in my posts. I do apologize for any inconveniences here.
Reply Quote
I'm not entirely sure what your suggestions are for regulating these smurf accounts. Limit accounts by IP? That would do more harm than good. Limit accounts by email? Emails are essentially free... I got about 20 total as it is.

Your suggestion is a legit one, but you provide no practical solution for achieving it. You might as well go down the street, running and yelling,"SOMEONE FIND A CURE FOR CANCER!".
Reply Quote
I'm not entirely sure what your suggestions are for regulating these smurf accounts. Limit accounts by IP? That would do more harm than good. Limit accounts by email? Emails are essentially free... I got about 20 total as it is.

Your suggestion is a legit one, but you provide no practical solution for achieving it. You might as well go down the street, running and yelling,"SOMEONE FIND A CURE FOR CANCER!".

^^this
Reply Quote
Blizzard corporate is allowing league smurfing to happen in order to drive out new players and sabotoge all upcomming sc2 expantion projects.
Reply Quote
Here is a great example of the weaknesses in the system......no master player should be allowed to have this many bronze teams......

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/957834/1/Aesun/ladder/lastseason/leagues
Reply Quote
While I agree that smurfing is a problem, I also firmly believe that it isn't as prevalent as some on this forum are saying. I was a bronze player two seasons ago and a silver for much of last season and, while I did see some smurfs, it was maybe 10% of my games (probably less).

For me, I got a second account to learn a new race because I didn't want to give up my current league to learn Protoss. Blizzard doesn't provide any real solutions for situations like this. Also, protrait farmers are rewarded for what they do. Since there is no requirement on portraits, it's only logical to demote yourself to bronze in order to win games.
Reply Quote
@ ShaDoGI....

I partially agree with you. I think the amount of smurf action varies over different parts of the season. Currently I am facing smurfs around 10-15%, however towards the end of last season it was 25%+. I would assume that the lockout indirectly effects that.

Either way the problem is most visible to those people who unfortunately don't progress at a very fast rate (myself included). For example...lets say that to get promoted you need to be able to beat 70% of people in your own league (silver) and 50% of people in the league above you (gold). However to account for the loses you will incur to smurfs....you now need to beat 80-90% of people in your own league. Well for those who progress slowly...beating 90% of players with equal skill isn't realistic.

For those who pick it up quickly and get promoted quickly...beating 90% of silvers may not be an issue...because within a season or two...they are platinum caliber players. And before long they are in a high enough league that smurfing becomes even less frequent.

Reply Quote
If a player ends a game within 5 seconds of a match, and his match history has him losing a game every minute for the last 10+ minutes, then ya... he is a smurf no doubt about it. And ya, I report these guys, 'cause I wanna have fun in SC2 and play people of similar skill. Blizz thinks that matching players of similar skill is also important, or they wouldn't have introduced all the leagues and what not.

Its too bad Blizz isn't doing anything about this, but do we know that for sure? I mean if they banned people how would we even know. Ya, so that's my question, has anyone read any proof of someone getting banned 'cause of smurfing?

Oh and btw... I am certainly a bronze player, and once a guy called me a smurf after he lost to me twice in a row... so ya there are certainly some people who are mistaken when claiming they have played a smurf.
Edited by Shingles on 3/25/2012 2:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Firstly, there is no way Blizzard refuses money, secondly, and most importantly, Blizzard cannot monitor and determine who has second accounts.
Reply Quote
Guy (clutchHank) in top 8 of my league..... 17 wins and a score of 441 --- How does that work if he's not smurfing?I have had several games where the player just quit 1 minute into the game. Thats what smurfs do.
Edited by Joeychgo on 3/26/2012 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have to say, this is a valid point. If the top 1000 pros all have 5 accounts, that means the rest of the ladder is all kicked down 5000 spots, and it gets worse as you go down because for gold players, they get pushed down by all the plat, diamond, masters extra accounts... Blizzard might be able to do something about it by making an estimate on how many extra accounts there are and adjust the ladder accordingly by allowing for more players to remain in each league maybe? Not sure but there is probably a solution.

Also, I don't think there is anything wrong with pros smurfing. They may need to practice new strats and not be scouted by other teams, so Im not anti smurfing, but I think Blizzard could make adjustments to account for the extra accounts :)
Edited by Hacker on 4/4/2012 11:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thats BS. Because I am the one being smurfed on. I just played a guy is is a MASTER level player and I'm silver. (he was masters level 2v2, 3v3 & 4v4 - name clint) Thats friggin BS. Its not just about pushing down rankings... How am I suppose to improve my game when I get STOMPED on by masters level players. I felt like a little league baseball player trying to play against the yankees. Its friggin stupid.
Reply Quote
My son was a bronze player, I bought his account for him in my name when he was in high school, Im a gold player. He quit playing, so I played his (our) account some and got it to gold. Should I be banned for playing a account I paid for? I think not. It happens, just try to steal their build orders and learn from your losses. This game is all about losing well really :) Noone just wins em all.

I do think blizzard should do a survey and try to estimate the number of extra accounts so the lower leagues don't suffer non progression because pros keep climbing above them. To me that is a bigger issue then bronzes playing someone better, but thats just my opinion.

I've seen this same issue in other RTS games as well. Company of Heroes was even worse, because each account could have 5 accounts (one main and 4 extra name accounts), so you had the same 2000 players hogging the top 10,000 spots pretty much. It sorta hoses the whole ladder, and players in all leagues except GM suffer because of it.

Also think of this. What if MKP for example decided to play all 10 of his accounts on korean ladder, and gets all ten of his accounts to the top ten. Is that fair to the other players, that the same player owns the top ten spots? What about the top ten players now that are in masters that want in but can't because all these GM's have extra accounts? There is definitely a problem that gets worse as time goes by and more people end up with more accounts.

Blizzard should definitely consider some options and solutions. Maybe if they estimate after surveys for example that players have an average of 2 accounts, but their smurf account is on average an mmr a certain percentage less, then they just make each league have more divisions to accomodate the extra accounts, and then players like me who was once platinum won't have to struggle to stay in Gold now. It is getting kind of ridiculous, silver players now are WAY better then they were a year ago, because everyone is getting pushed down, and it feels like we arent progressing when really we are, but better players are just buying more accounts and we are stuck in the same league and gradually getting moved down.

Another option is some sort of formula. For example, if a player has less then 100 wins, and is a masters player...I mean cmon, obviously its an extra account. Why should I be pushed down, because all these players extra accounts are instantly placed higher then me? Maybe there is a way to mathematically through stats determine what accounts are extra accounts, and simply make extra divisions for this number and grow it accordingly until people stop buying extra accounts? :)

For 6 months after release, I went from bronze or silver to platinum, and I maintained platinum for months. Now, after thousands of games later, I am Gold and I think barely holding gold. Did I get worse? Did others just get better? Or is there really something going on with all the extra accounts? I think its the extra accounts. Everyone really good has at least one extra.
Edited by Hacker on 4/5/2012 9:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote

For 6 months after release, I went from bronze or silver to platinum, and I maintained platinum for months. Now, after thousands of games later, I am Gold and I think barely holding gold. Did I get worse? Did others just get better? Or is there really something going on with all the extra accounts? I think its the extra accounts. Everyone really good has at least one extra.
Doubt the extra accounts pushed you from plat to gold. Any extra account problems are probably limited to the GM league where a top GM player could probably get multiple accounts into the league if he really wanted.

People get better over time. Casual players quit SC2 or take extended breaks more often than more serious players. Also, less new players play SC2 today than a year ago (or even 2 months ago). Until HOTS comes out, SC2 will likely lose casual players faster than it will gain new players. This, in effect, causes the skill levels of each league to move upward slowly. You have people in bronze, silver, and gold, who have played this game for 2 years.

I am by no means claiming that people in the lower leagues (sub masters) are good today. Rather, I am merely stating that because of the slow loss of casual players and because of the longer time that many people have played the game, the skill levels in the lower leagues has slowly moved upwards. Simply put, smurfs did not cause your demotion.
Reply Quote
01/23/2012 05:10 PMPosted by Dragonface
I made a game ticket asking blizzard to make secondary accounts illegal for sc2 because I think it makes it harder to progress in the ladder if you play against smurfs (I have seen quite a few) and lose a lot. I was told there was nothing they could do and post here on the forums so Developers could read this so I am. I know Blizzard is all over wow and and keeps people from cheating and using hacks and I ask the same for SC2. It is unfair to the players of this game to have to be stuck in a ladder because of smurfing or cheating. It is very frustrating to me. I was shown how to find them by a person that has a smurf account and I no longer play with this person because It is unfair to the rest of the players in my opinion. Can somebody do something about this stuff? Please clean this game up!
If you are not moving up the ladder it is not because of smurf accounts, it is because you are not playing a large amount of games. On average you will only see a smurf 1/20 games. Sure you will take a loss, but just think of it as running into a boss every once in a while. Your MMR will hardly move. Just go play another game and you will move up. If you don't deserve to be in your league you will be moved... its a simple as that. Players just expect to get promoted after 10 wins when the system doesn't work like that. It is usually around +30 or -30 above or below 50/50 per league to move up and down. One loss here and there does not make a difference. As for banning multiple accounts, in both BW and WC3 you could make as many accounts as you wanted. There were loads of players on new accounts that should be high level players. It is just something you get used to. Sometimes you just want to get drunk and 6 pool players in silver league. Players also use low level accounts for things like APM training. Day[9] in particular has said that when he was training in BW he would constantly make new accounts and level them from D to A on iccup (Daily 100). He found it helpful for re-establishing all of the cheese timings and just keeping his fundamentals solid. Instead of whining on the forums go try and improve at the game.... I looked at your profile OP and you haven't played a single ladder game during all of season 6. Why are you even complaining if you don't play the game?
Reply Quote
I have gotten more free wins from smurfts (e.g. them leaving after a few seconds) than I have losses. No rudeness intended, but I don't think there are really that many smurfs. Sometimes people in your league just played a better game than you and that's why you got roflstomped. I used to get angry when ever I encountered a smurf, but a higher league person told me something that has changed my perspective on all of it. Those people who tank games so they can play in bronze are bad. Not the kind of bad like you and me (bronze). They're the kind of bad that won't ever get any better. If it really bothers you, report them. Otherwise, move on and keep doing your best.
Reply Quote

Doubt the extra accounts pushed you from plat to gold. Any extra account problems are probably limited to the GM league where a top GM player could probably get multiple accounts into the league if he really wanted.

I don't doubt it, it is simple numbers. Take a guess at how many gm, masters, diamond and platinum accounts there are, then take a guess at how many of them are extra accounts. I bet there is an average of at least 2 accounts per player platinum and up. So you really doubt that affects me getting pushed out of platinum? Please. It makes a HUGE difference.

Here is a simpler example, I currently have two gold accounts. If one of my accounts didnt exist or was bronze, then there would be one more slot available in the gold league on NA. Now multiply me by thousands of players...and this is just gold league, you get the picture.

The higher leagues probably have more extra accounts. If I was pro Id have as many as were offered to me :) And all these thousands / hundreds of thousands of extra accounts, push every person in every league below them down, regardless if you play them or not. They are filling up the higher leagues with extra accounts instead of real players is my point. If I'm going to be pushed out of platinum, at least make it be because there are many players better then me, not because the same player has 6 diamond accounts or whatever and if one player has that many, you know a lot do. I haven't played my other gold account in months, and it is still hogging a spot in the gold league... get it?
Edited by Hacker on 4/6/2012 4:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I don't doubt it, it is simple numbers. Take a guess at how many gm, masters, diamond and platinum accounts there are, then take a guess at how many of them are extra accounts. I bet there is an average of at least 2 accounts per player platinum and up. So you really doubt that affects me getting pushed out of platinum? Please. It makes a HUGE difference.

Here is a simpler example, I currently have two gold accounts. If one of my accounts didnt exist or was bronze, then there would be one more slot available in the gold league on NA. Now multiply me by thousands of players...and this is just gold league, you get the picture.

The higher leagues probably have more extra accounts. If I was pro Id have as many as were offered to me :) And all these thousands / hundreds of thousands of extra accounts, push every person in every league below them down, regardless if you play them or not. They are filling up the higher leagues with extra accounts instead of real players is my point. If I'm going to be pushed out of platinum, at least make it be because there are many players better then me, not because the same player has 6 diamond accounts or whatever and if one player has that many, you know a lot do. I haven't played my other gold account in months, and it is still hogging a spot in the gold league... get it?

I highly doubt everyone platinum and up have two accounts. I don't. My friend in the Master's league does not. Most other people I play with (all mainly gold through masters) don't. A few of them have extra accounts, but the vast majority do not.

Your old account is still in gold because you barely play it. Unless you play and lose you won't get demoted from gold. If you play 1-2 games each season it would take like 10-20 seasons of losing every game to get demoted (probably more). Your active account, however, likely gets played more. If you lose on the active account you get demoted.

Also, don't forget that demotion/promotion thresholds are determined by the total number of active account. Each active smurf increases the player pool, and thus the number of slots for each league (granted increases is not 1 to 1 since there is more than 1 league). Also, inactive accounts don't get counted in the calculation.

Any issue related to lack of promotion due to smurfs is limited to the Master league (probably GM+), since one could argue that top players have more accounts. A plat player can be a very casual player. I have under 220 league wins and I had this account in season 1. Yes, I took some massive breaks, but my point still stands. I am casual. I suck. I am in plat. I highly doubt your premise that most people plat and above have two or more accounts.

If you are in gold and want to get promoted, get better. If I can make it to plat, then so can you! Rather than blaming smurfs for something they are probably not at fault for, spend the effort in getting better and you should get promoted in no time. Want to know what I did to get promoted from gold to plat this season? I forced myself to make workers even when I felt uncomfortable making them. Instead of having 40ish drones at the 10 minute mark, now I often have 60+, or even 70+ (if opponent expands). That small change has made a world of difference.
Edited by Logan on 4/6/2012 6:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]