StarCraft® II

Smurf Accounts

Keep in mind (seriously) that they could have been carried to master's and they are actually like silver unless they are random master's then that's a smurfing player....
Reply Quote

I don't doubt it, it is simple numbers. Take a guess at how many gm, masters, diamond and platinum accounts there are, then take a guess at how many of them are extra accounts. I bet there is an average of at least 2 accounts per player platinum and up. So you really doubt that affects me getting pushed out of platinum? Please. It makes a HUGE difference.

Here is a simpler example, I currently have two gold accounts. If one of my accounts didnt exist or was bronze, then there would be one more slot available in the gold league on NA. Now multiply me by thousands of players...and this is just gold league, you get the picture.

The higher leagues probably have more extra accounts. If I was pro Id have as many as were offered to me :) And all these thousands / hundreds of thousands of extra accounts, push every person in every league below them down, regardless if you play them or not. They are filling up the higher leagues with extra accounts instead of real players is my point. If I'm going to be pushed out of platinum, at least make it be because there are many players better then me, not because the same player has 6 diamond accounts or whatever and if one player has that many, you know a lot do. I haven't played my other gold account in months, and it is still hogging a spot in the gold league... get it?

I highly doubt everyone platinum and up have two accounts. I don't. My friend in the Master's league does not. Most other people I play with (all mainly gold through masters) don't. A few of them have extra accounts, but the vast majority do not.

Your old account is still in gold because you barely play it. Unless you play and lose you won't get demoted from gold. If you play 1-2 games each season it would take like 10-20 seasons of losing every game to get demoted (probably more). Your active account, however, likely gets played more. If you lose on the active account you get demoted.

Also, don't forget that demotion/promotion thresholds are determined by the total number of active account. Each active smurf increases the player pool, and thus the number of slots for each league (granted increases is not 1 to 1 since there is more than 1 league). Also, inactive accounts don't get counted in the calculation.

Any issue related to lack of promotion due to smurfs is limited to the Master league (probably GM+), since one could argue that top players have more accounts. A plat player can be a very casual player. I have under 220 league wins and I had this account in season 1. Yes, I took some massive breaks, but my point still stands. I am casual. I suck. I am in plat. I highly doubt your premise that most people plat and above have two or more accounts.

If you are in gold and want to get promoted, get better. If I can make it to plat, then so can you! Rather than blaming smurfs for something they are probably not at fault for, spend the effort in getting better and you should get promoted in no time. Want to know what I did to get promoted from gold to plat this season? I forced myself to make workers even when I felt uncomfortable making them. Instead of having 40ish drones at the 10 minute mark, now I often have 60+, or even 70+ (if opponent expands). That small change has made a world of difference.

Whoever said I was blaming smurfs? Also, I didn't say every player platinum and up has 2 accounts, I said that is probably the average is my guess, because some people have over three extra accounts and pro teams probably give accounts out like candy. Your whole logic makes 0 sense. if there are 100,000 starcraft players on lets pretend NA, and the top 20 percent all have extra accounts, then it pushes players below them further down the ladder, that is how an MMR system works. Every GM extra account keeps a master player from getting into GM. Every extra masters account keeps a real player in diamond. Every extra diamond account keeps a player in platinum in platinum and so on. Make a guess at how many plat and above extra accounts there are? If you guess less then 1000 you are retarded, and even 1000 makes a difference between platinum and gold. All I am saying, is blizzard could and should try to compensate for these extra accounts by simply addiing more divisions to each league. I'm offering a solution, you are offering useless arguments that make no sense at all.
Reply Quote
Is someone seriously trying to suggest that on average, 40%+ of SC2 Ladder players have multiple accounts? Oh my.
Reply Quote

I highly doubt everyone platinum and up have two accounts. I don't. My friend in the Master's league does not. Most other people I play with (all mainly gold through masters) don't. A few of them have extra accounts, but the vast majority do not.

Your old account is still in gold because you barely play it. Unless you play and lose you won't get demoted from gold. If you play 1-2 games each season it would take like 10-20 seasons of losing every game to get demoted (probably more). Your active account, however, likely gets played more. If you lose on the active account you get demoted.

Also, don't forget that demotion/promotion thresholds are determined by the total number of active account. Each active smurf increases the player pool, and thus the number of slots for each league (granted increases is not 1 to 1 since there is more than 1 league). Also, inactive accounts don't get counted in the calculation.

Any issue related to lack of promotion due to smurfs is limited to the Master league (probably GM+), since one could argue that top players have more accounts. A plat player can be a very casual player. I have under 220 league wins and I had this account in season 1. Yes, I took some massive breaks, but my point still stands. I am casual. I suck. I am in plat. I highly doubt your premise that most people plat and above have two or more accounts.

If you are in gold and want to get promoted, get better. If I can make it to plat, then so can you! Rather than blaming smurfs for something they are probably not at fault for, spend the effort in getting better and you should get promoted in no time. Want to know what I did to get promoted from gold to plat this season? I forced myself to make workers even when I felt uncomfortable making them. Instead of having 40ish drones at the 10 minute mark, now I often have 60+, or even 70+ (if opponent expands). That small change has made a world of difference.

Whoever said I was blaming smurfs? Also, I didn't say every player platinum and up has 2 accounts, I said that is probably the average is my guess, because some people have over three extra accounts and pro teams probably give accounts out like candy. Your whole logic makes 0 sense. if there are 100,000 starcraft players on lets pretend NA, and the top 20 percent all have extra accounts, then it pushes players below them further down the ladder, that is how an MMR system works. Every GM extra account keeps a master player from getting into GM. Every extra masters account keeps a real player in diamond. Every extra diamond account keeps a player in platinum in platinum and so on. Make a guess at how many plat and above extra accounts there are? If you guess less then 1000 you are retarded, and even 1000 makes a difference between platinum and gold. All I am saying, is blizzard could and should try to compensate for these extra accounts by simply addiing more divisions to each league. I'm offering a solution, you are offering useless arguments that make no sense at all.

According to the SC2Ranks website, there are more than 128,000 plat players in the world and over 56,000 plat players in the NA server. If 1000 people plat and up had a smurf account it would have almost no noticeable effect on a person's placement. I am sure there are way more than 1000 smurf accounts, but nonetheless, I highly doubt they have a significant impact in league placements below GM (or possibly Masters).

You do realize that a plat player is basically in the top 40% of the rankings only? Additionally, each active smurf account increases the size of the total player base, and thus increases the size of the number of people who can place in plat or above by 0.4 persons. Thus, for every 5 smurfs in plat or above, 2 additional slots open in the plat range (does not work exactly like this, but it is a close approximation). Let's not also forget that there are bronze to gold smurfs as well. For each 5 of these smurfs, 2 spots open up in each league other than Masters and GM. Granted, most smurfs are probably Master league smurfs, but since they are around 2% of the population, the effect from these smurfs are likely to be statistically insignificant.

Getting rid of smurfs is not viable for many reasons. First, Blizzard is part of a corporation that wants to make money. Disallowing smurfs would negatively impact Blzzard's bottom-line. Second, currently there are no mechanics to play an off race in league games without taking a hit to your MMR on your main account. Smurf accounts allow you to do this. Third, people are limited to playing on one server per SC2 account purchase (some exceptions, e.g., SEA key includes NA access). You have to buy a second account to play on a second server. Fourth, almost every pro is a smurf because they need accounts on other servers to play tournaments around the world and to practice with other pros around the world. Thus, I doubt you will see smurfs go away anytime soon.

Blizzard could adjust the league thresholds as you seem to insinuate and make it easier to get into a specific league due to the minor increase in difficulty that smurfs might be causing (we have no statistics for this, but an inference can be made). However, such a change would diminish the achievement of getting into a given league. For all we know, Blizzard implemented the generous thresholds for each league so that there would be minimal if any impact due to smurfs. Personally, I'd rather see Blizzard spend its time improving the game, than see the company waste its time (imo) making it easier to get into leagues above bronze.
Reply Quote
According to the SC2Ranks website, there are more than 128,000 plat players in the world and over 56,000 plat players in the NA server. If 1000 people plat and up had a smurf account it would have almost no noticeable effect on a person's placement. I am sure there are way more than 1000 smurf accounts, but nonetheless, I highly doubt they have a significant impact in league placements below GM (or possibly Masters).

You do realize that a plat player is basically in the top 40% of the rankings only? Additionally, each active smurf account increases the size of the total player base, and thus increases the size of the number of people who can place in plat or above by 0.4 persons. Thus, for every 5 smurfs in plat or above, 2 additional slots open in the plat range (does not work exactly like this, but it is a close approximation). Let's not also forget that there are bronze to gold smurfs as well. For each 5 of these smurfs, 2 spots open up in each league other than Masters and GM. Granted, most smurfs are probably Master league smurfs, but since they are around 2% of the population, the effect from these smurfs are likely to be statistically insignificant.

Getting rid of smurfs is not viable for many reasons. First, Blizzard is part of a corporation that wants to make money. Disallowing smurfs would negatively impact Blzzard's bottom-line. Second, currently there are no mechanics to play an off race in league games without taking a hit to your MMR on your main account. Smurf accounts allow you to do this. Third, people are limited to playing on one server per SC2 account purchase (some exceptions, e.g., SEA key includes NA access). You have to buy a second account to play on a second server. Fourth, almost every pro is a smurf because they need accounts on other servers to play tournaments around the world and to practice with other pros around the world. Thus, I doubt you will see smurfs go away anytime soon.

Blizzard could adjust the league thresholds as you seem to insinuate and make it easier to get into a specific league due to the minor increase in difficulty that smurfs might be causing (we have no statistics for this, but an inference can be made). However, such a change would diminish the achievement of getting into a given league. For all we know, Blizzard implemented the generous thresholds for each league so that there would be minimal if any impact due to smurfs. Personally, I'd rather see Blizzard spend its time improving the game, than see the company waste its time (imo) making it easier to get into leagues above bronze.

Your argument is ridiculous, you address none of my points, you spout useless dribble. You say
"each active smurf account increases the size of the total player base, and thus increases the size of the number of people who can place in plat or above by 0.4 persons. Thus, for every 5 smurfs in plat or above, 2 additional slots open in the plat range"
Dude. Seriously, where did you pull that out of? You just said the whole problem, every active extra account increases the size of the total player base...when really, those 5 accounts increasing the player base, is the SAME player, and if he is better then me, I got 4 extra people above me...no matter how you slice it. How does 2 extra slots open? They don't, the system doesnt know they are extra accounts. Seriously, are you like handicapped mentally?
Reply Quote

Your argument is ridiculous, you address none of my points, you spout useless dribble. You say
"each active smurf account increases the size of the total player base, and thus increases the size of the number of people who can place in plat or above by 0.4 persons. Thus, for every 5 smurfs in plat or above, 2 additional slots open in the plat range"
Dude. Seriously, where did you pull that out of? You just said the whole problem, every active extra account increases the size of the total player base...when really, those 5 accounts increasing the player base, is the SAME player, and if he is better then me, I got 4 extra people above me...no matter how you slice it. How does 2 extra slots open? They don't, the system doesnt know they are extra accounts. Seriously, are you like handicapped mentally?

Feel free to keep attacking my mental capabilities! Let me try to explain it better. For each additional player added to the SC2 playerbase, 0.2 spots opens up in bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and diamond+. This occurs because roughly 20% of the population falls within each of the aforesaid divisions. Thus, for every 5 new players, 1 additional spot (20%) opens in each league. This works out to be 2 additional slots in plat or above (1 for plat and 1 for diamond+). Three additional spots open in the bronze through gold range for every 5 new players.

I am by no means arguing that each smurf benefits you since for every 5 smurfs, only 2 new plat and above slots open and 3 new bronze through gold slots open. My point was that for every additional smurf, there is only a loss of 0.6 players from plat (1 minus 0.4). Not sure if I can dumb this down more, but hopefully you follow it.

Nonetheless, my original point stands. Smurfs are a small subsection of the population. I highly doubt smurfs have a statistically significant impact on your league placement. As the person making a claim, you have the burden of providing information that supports your claim (i.e. there are X smurfs from X leagues). My burden is merely to rebut the evidence provided by you. Please feel free to provide empirical data regarding the number of smurfs and the leagues of the owners of the smurf accounts. The arguments about the "numbers," was merely an ancilliary point.
Edited by Logan on 4/8/2012 2:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If smurf accounts number too low to have any real effect, then why allow them?

If they have an effect, then why allow them?

Smurf accounts dont benefit the ladder system - they might harm it though. So why allow them?
Reply Quote
If smurf accounts number too low to have any real effect, then why allow them?

If they have an effect, then why allow them?

Smurf accounts dont benefit the ladder system - they might harm it though. So why allow them?

Here are a few reasons to allow smurfs:

1. It makes Blizzard more money because each smurf is an additional SC2 purchase.
2. Smurfing allows people to play on multiple servers.
3. Smurfing allows pro-gamers to participate in tournaments outside of their region.
4. Smurfing allows those who want to have a practice account for an off-race.
5. Smurfing is not necessarily portrait farming. Portrait farming (i.e. tanking league to bronze range to farm wins for portraits) is a bannable offense.
6. Even portrait farming has a minimal impact on league placement because most portrait farmers intentionally give away free wins much more often than they actually win a game.
7. If Blizzard banned smurfing, they would have to refund everyone who bought a smurf account (since the ban would be implemented post purchase). Alternatively, they would have to let people with smurfs today have their multiple accounts and ban new purchases of smurf accounts. Neither remedy is likely particularly attractive to Blizzard.

I am sure there are other reasons I cannot think of at the moment. If smurfs were banned the e-sports scene would be very hard to pull off. Pros would have to find people who will share an account with them when they play outside their region. NA players would never get good, because our pros won't be able to play in the more competitive servers to get better. As I have said earlier, I don't have a smurf and have no intention of getting a smurf account. However, I don't think an outright ban on smurfing is the right answer.
Reply Quote
I'm with you!!! I have won against TONS of people who have purposefully lost games by leaving without even gathering any resources. These "smurfs" are annoying. I know I loose most of my games. But this is absurd.
Reply Quote
smurfs must lose on purpose to not get promoted.
there are people getting free wins, why you complaining? for you to lose, someone else must win. smurf's dispersion of win/loss to the league is even, therefore it does not effect you or others. only the game experience but the result is the same for everyone. you're not complaining about the loss, you're complaining about getting your a$$ handed.

and to be honest, i smurf more than i play seriously. if i can't smurf, i wouldn't be playing sc2.
i like to play a game where i dont have to force myself to win, but just enjoy the game not worrying about win/loss while doing stupid stuff to make it entertaining.

most of all, i like stomping other smurfs.
Reply Quote
there are people getting free wins, why you complaining? for you to lose, someone else must win. smurf's dispersion of win/loss to the league is even, therefore it does not effect you or others. only the game experience but the result is the same for everyone. you're not complaining about the loss, you're complaining about getting your a$$ handed.

and to be honest, i smurf more than i play seriously. if i can't smurf, i wouldn't be playing sc2.
i like to play a game where i dont have to force myself to win, but just enjoy the game not worrying about win/loss while doing stupid stuff to make it entertaining.

You are a portrait farmer. Make sure you play legit games before leaving. Losing games on purpose is a bannable offense, especially if you just quit the game right at the start.

Some types of smurfing are fine (e.g. to play an off-race or another server). Other types of smurfing (e.g. portrait farming) are not allowed.
Edited by Logan on 4/9/2012 5:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wait, what's a smurf account? I don't get it. People get ranked in one account and then only play on another account until the season ends? But how is this causing people to lose and/or not rank up? Forgive my ignorance but, please explain.
Reply Quote

You are a portrait farmer. Make sure you play legit games before leaving. Losing games on purpose is a bannable offense, especially if you just quit the game right at the start.

Some types of smurfing are fine (e.g. to play an off-race or another server). Other types of smurfing (e.g. portrait farming) are not allowed.

i got 430 games since release. yeah, i'm definitely portrait farming.

i play games to have fun and i have more fun doing stupid stuff and be a close, fun game. getting rolflstomped doing 4 hatch opening or pf contain or mass marine against a master player is not really fun.
smurfs, have fun playing a relaxed game, not being intense to closely win a game against a better matched player.

you talk as if portrait farming is a huge problem, i cant help but think its a very small minority. if anyone does have problem people leaving or get defeat, don't automatically think "portrait farmer" as there could be many reasons. losing is not an excuse to accuse or complain about a smurf. if someone is to get promoted, they will get promoted, smurfs will not be a factor. if someone gives you free win, why you mad?
Edited by dnfkwlf on 4/9/2012 8:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote

i got 430 games since release. yeah, i'm definitely portrait farming.

i play games to have fun and i have more fun doing stupid stuff and be a close, fun game. getting rolflstomped doing 4 hatch opening or pf contain or mass marine against a master player is not really fun.
smurfs, have fun playing a relaxed game, not being intense to closely win a game against a better matched player.

you talk as if portrait farming is a huge problem, i cant help but think its a very small minority. if anyone does have problem people leaving or get defeat, don't automatically think "portrait farmer" as there could be many reasons. losing is not an excuse to accuse or complain about a smurf. if someone is to get promoted, they will get promoted, smurfs will not be a factor. if someone gives you free win, why you mad?
I never said that smurfing was a problem. Portrait farming is not a significant problem either since they tend to throw more games than they win. However, smurfing is not bannable, but portrait farming is bannable.

You don't have to farm thousands of portraits to get banned. Throwing games away, however, can get you banned. People who play a game and leave or even worker rush and lose probably won't get banned. People who just quit games though risk getting banned.

I am not judging your choices. I really don't care what you do. I am merely differentiating portrait farming from regular smurfing.
Reply Quote
Its a huge problem. It gets worse every season. More people improve as the game has been out and eventually some of them troll/farm lower leagues.

If you really think its a privilege for a bronze player to watch a replay of some neck-beared from diamond roll them over, you need to get off your account and back to real life. No one asked for you. Every time I hear that as some kind of counter argument, I'm guaranteed its a basement-tanned recluse.

As for those who are trying a new race with a new account theres something to consider. Your upper league. You know how each race works. I can't see an upper league player blowing their placement matches into bronze just to have their ladder go easy on them as they switch races. If that ends up being the case every so often, then thats something that everyone deals with. You are bronze in that race and should fit right in. Until you improve and away you go to silver.
Reply Quote
Why its a problem is simple...

Ok, I'm 6'2, 225 and been boxing for years. How many of you want to jump in a ring with me and how much boxing will you learn while I pummell you?

Its ok, I just want to try out a new punch style. So you can be my learning tool while I pound you into the mat. Nice huh?

Dont like that analogy? How about this one. All levels of little league now play on the same time. 6 year olds and 16 year olds on the same team. Im sure all the 6 year olds will learn to hit while against a 16 year old pitcher as the balls scream by.

Its the same thing. Im silver and trying to learn the game, hotkeys, etc. I learn nothing while getting but!@!*d by some diamond level terran. Its bs, plain and simple.
Reply Quote
Well, remember if you are losing 20-45% of your games to smurfs THAT OFTEN then I'm sure you'll be getting a lot of "free" wins as well, as smurfs must lose a lot of games to keep their ranking low. Soo... really, if you're good you won't be in bronze.
Reply Quote
smurf cant play at their lvl soo they go to bronze
Reply Quote
I don't understand the complaining, smurfs are good in a way. You don't get better winning every game do you? It may be harder than your average match but hey, I think it pushed your progress further. And making it against the rules or anything else is just whining.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]