How many sc2 players are there?

(Locked)

I want to know how this game is doing in world wide popularity and financially. I want to know numbers or atleast predictions on how many starcraft 2 players there are. I know that in the first day or so it sold 3 million and by december it sold 5 million but that wasn't even included with chinas sales. How many copies has it sold now if anyone knows and how many sc2 players are there?
alot
I do not know the answer but http://sc2ranks.com
has a large database of players (even including many without any achievements points).
split like this:
Europe: 1,113,475
Americas: 1,316,282
Korea / Taiwan: 769,903
China: 322,343
Southeast Asia: 147,504

Total: 3,669,507
Activision-Blizzard has their earnings on Feb 9, they might talk about recent sc2 sales during the call, as well as HOTS. That will give you a good indication on how the game is currently doing.
I was actually was just wondering the exact same thing. I'd like to know how many unique ID's played on the North American server in January or in any given week.
27/decembre/2012:

Total: 4,016,559

China: 391,779
Europe: 1,143,165
Korea / Taiwan: 843,904
Southeast Asia: 159,564
Americas: 1,478,147
Edited by ThomasLavoie on 12/27/2012 7:52 PM PST
Southeast Asia: 159,564

This just proves us Southeast Asians are quite cheap. Most potential players(and trust me, another potential hundreds of thousands players here) would like to play but can't afford to buy the game coz it's so !@#$%^- expensive over there. They probably just pirate the game. =(
Edited by Kildare on 1/3/2013 11:01 PM PST
01/31/2012 03:53 PMPosted by Astator
Korea / Taiwan: 769,903

I thought they had the MOST.
Sales for WoL were a reflection of the success of SCBW. Sales in HotS will be a reflection on the success of WoL.

SC2Ranks lists anyone that played a single game as an active player, not really accurate considering a lot of players play only for placement.

HotS sales will be a good indication of whether the SC franchise will survive.
Not necessarily.

Many people will probably buy Wings with Swarm since Blizzard usually really goes all out with promotions when their games actually are released. Moreover, more people watch StarCraft than actually play it which contrasts Dota 2 and LoL. Games are naturally more popular at release since it is new content, a new game. There is a pretty big casual crowd that just plays for the campaign and custom games. Blizzard is trying to change that and make it less intimidating with the Training and VS A.I. modes for multiplayer.

Sales degrade the older a game is. Many players quit playing but on the occasion. It isn't getting pimped out like LoL, and StarCraft doesn't match either in terms of prize money, whereas StarCraft is also 1v1 on the competitive circuit. The frequent updates are also helping LoL, in particular. The more new crap constantly coming out, the more attention you will get.
Blizzard is more humble about what they release. They generally take their time to put anything out, but at least it is high quality things which are ultra polished. The StarCraft development is the most seasoned and their best. Sure, they didn't have a lot to do for a few years thanks to WoW, but it is the most veteran team, and always delivers quality products greater than the WoW or D3 development teams. The Titan development team is another story, we will have to wait and see.

StarCraft is fine. I thought we cleared away the StarCraft doomsayers a month or so ago. So it is maturing slowly, it has the edge in long-term appeal. LoL is going to cease to be a trend eventually when Riot can no longer throw more crap at it, Dota will survive and another quality game will replace LoL. Honestly, I dislike how Riot is just throwing money and wonky updates all the time, it makes them seem desperate.

Note: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty sold about 4.5 in its first month excluding the fact it was the game that was pirated the most and the fastest at the time. Like 2.3 million or so copies were pirated. Hell, it won a record for being pirated that swiftly.
Edited by Pain on 1/6/2013 2:24 AM PST
Over 9,000.
01/04/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Waylander
HotS sales will be a good indication of whether the SC franchise will survive.

I disagree although it will surely be a rough indication of what's going down.

01/06/2013 02:23 AMPosted by Pain
The frequent updates are also helping LoL, in particular. The more new crap constantly coming out, the more attention you will get.

A lot of online games have frequent updates. Blizzard have made mistakes themselves and gotten some flak from players which is inevitable. Isn't it good that other games get a lot of attention (which seems like a lot more than SC2)? I feel like more people discovering twitch will in turn result in them seeing other games and SC2 has a high number of watchers.

Currently a lot of wonky updates are required although I would say Riot are too fast to release them. Recently they have caused great imbalance in the game (which was decently balanced beforehand).

So it is maturing slowly, it has the edge in long-term appeal. LoL is going to cease to be a trend eventually when Riot can no longer throw more crap at it, Dota will survive and another quality game will replace LoL.

I'm not sure how you can compare appeal of Starcraft with different types of games let alone one with a vastly larger player-base and different marketing techniques. Dota is still Dota. A lot of the LoL community already know about this game. I feel most people wh would play Dota are the ones who are already playing it. They have quite a few million people to attract and keep which is no easy feat.

Note: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty sold about 4.5 in its first month excluding the fact it was the game that was pirated the most and the fastest at the time. Like 2.3 million or so copies were pirated. Hell, it won a record for being pirated that swiftly.

That is because Brood War multi-player was such a success and a huge thing. Just as how Diablo 3 was the successor to Diablo 2 which caused a ton of sales. Honestly it's mostly up to Blizzard to help their game.
Edited by Chojiro on 1/13/2013 6:10 PM PST
I am aware many companies do, however, that does often cause problems. If changes are not implemented carefully it can break other things and cause other issues. Blizzard isn't bulletproof, but at least they are cautious about pushing too many changes out, for expansions or big patches, complications are expected. Some things can't be caught internally due to the larger sampling pool. Riot is rushing too many things out and that is largely giving them problems.
I think they are being too hasty; moreover, Riot has already fallen into the trap of the Fighting genre. They have too many characters which is complicating any semblance of balance and adding more is only making it worse. LoL seems more like a trend that will eventually die, look at shooters, their popularity is finally starting to dip again. I question whether Riot can retain an audience when there is no more frequent updates, does it have the longevity to support itself, or will all the people who came for the LoL trend depart for the next trend?

Those are the big questions that I am not certain with regarding the LoL trend. StarCraft is building a long term formula and has survived largely without much updates these past 2 years and the legacy of Brood War inspires hope that it may continue to know success for many years with periodic changes just to shake things up a bit and deliver some much needed changes/improvements. That Dota has survived and gained as much popularity as it has is testament that it has potential for longevity, and so too shall Dota 2 by extension given the similar formula.
A large audience now doesn't mean it will exist later. That was one reason there was so much uncertainty at WoL's launch. However, it is repeating itself and proving it has longevity like Brood War, some changes via expansions and fewer balance patches are helping to tweak and refine the balance of the game.

Not everyone who bought SC 2 played Brood War. Blizzard had quite an ad campaign if I do recall around the time of Wings of Liberty's release. The first guys in line were new to the franchise, too. Diablo III has a ways to go, but they do seem to be learning and taking steps in the right direction if nothing else. StarCraft II is also living up to its predecessor and will evolve to make up for its shortcomings. There is no need for doom and gloom, the steady approach has a higher chance of success.
Blizzard is going about this in a good way. Balance updates for beta are taken too seriously. There are naturally concerns, but I know Blizzard will deliver something great, they haven't let me down before. It has taken this long, the expansion will be great I am sure.
Not necessarily.

Many people will probably buy Wings with Swarm since Blizzard usually really goes all out with promotions when their games actually are released. Moreover, more people watch StarCraft than actually play it which contrasts Dota 2 and LoL. Games are naturally more popular at release since it is new content, a new game. There is a pretty big casual crowd that just plays for the campaign and custom games. Blizzard is trying to change that and make it less intimidating with the Training and VS A.I. modes for multiplayer.

Sales degrade the older a game is. Many players quit playing but on the occasion. It isn't getting pimped out like LoL, and StarCraft doesn't match either in terms of prize money, whereas StarCraft is also 1v1 on the competitive circuit. The frequent updates are also helping LoL, in particular. The more new crap constantly coming out, the more attention you will get.
Blizzard is more humble about what they release. They generally take their time to put anything out, but at least it is high quality things which are ultra polished. The StarCraft development is the most seasoned and their best. Sure, they didn't have a lot to do for a few years thanks to WoW, but it is the most veteran team, and always delivers quality products greater than the WoW or D3 development teams. The Titan development team is another story, we will have to wait and see.

StarCraft is fine. I thought we cleared away the StarCraft doomsayers a month or so ago. So it is maturing slowly, it has the edge in long-term appeal. LoL is going to cease to be a trend eventually when Riot can no longer throw more crap at it, Dota will survive and another quality game will replace LoL. Honestly, I dislike how Riot is just throwing money and wonky updates all the time, it makes them seem desperate.

You read my mind.
wow

im like 3000th place out of millions
i feel proud :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]